Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Worstguyever

Genital Herpes infection and Urinary Retention

Hi, i had Protected oral and Vagianl sex with sex worker 2 weeks back.  After 5-7 days got penile burning after urination (occasionally).  After 10 started to feel urinary retention low stream urinating and No feel to go to urinate. Anybody face the same without typical blister symptoms. Your comments are more appreciated.  I am worrying lot and I have previous hsv1.

You have oral or genital hsv 1 ? Supposedly its rare to get hetpes 1 orallly and genitals. Symptoms dont sound typical genital herpes. Hopefully guys will comment?

2 hours ago, Worstguyever said:

Hi, i had Protected oral and Vagianl sex with sex worker 2 weeks back.  After 5-7 days got penile burning after urination (occasionally).  After 10 started to feel urinary retention low stream urinating and No feel to go to urinate. Anybody face the same without typical blister symptoms. Your comments are more appreciated.  I am worrying lot and I have previous hsv1.

Advertisement

If you have a genital HSV 1 infection then it could be just as a result of the friction from the oral and genital sex you had

3 hours ago, Worstguyever said:

If you have oral HSV-1, then there is zero to negligible chance of a genital infection from HSV-1 from receiving oral sex say.

A HSV-2 infection is possible, however if you had protected sex, then you would expect lesions at the site of entry to the body. Given you had protected sex, nothing much could get into your urethra. You do seem stressed about this, are you going to have the usual panel of tests at 2-12 weeks?

3 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

If you have oral HSV-1, then there is zero to negligible chance of a genital infection from HSV-1 from receiving oral sex say.

A HSV-2 infection is possible, however if you had protected sex, then you would expect lesions at the site of entry to the body. Given you had protected sex, nothing much could get into your urethra. You do seem stressed about this, are you going to have the usual panel of tests at 2-12 weeks?

Please Wilson, not again :-) 

@Worstguyever it is pretty possible to get ghsv 1 even if you have oral hsv 1 for long time, but as you described the incident, I wouldn't worry (because you used protection for oral sex not because you have oral hsv). There's a bit of chance of contracting hsv 2, but I hope it's not your case. Wait recommend time and then have Igg blood test for the peace of mind. Good luck!

1 minute ago, MoniqueLow said:

@Worstguyever it is pretty possible to get ghsv 1 even if you have oral hsv 1 for long time, but as you described the incident, I wouldn't worry (because you used protection for oral sex not because you have oral hsv). There's a bit of chance of contracting hsv 2, but I hope it's not your case. Wait recommend time and then have Igg blood test for the peace of mind. Good luck!

Agree!  Listen to Monique.  The word herpes literally means "to creep".  I dont think that is an accident....

Advertisement

Just now, Disc0rdant said:

Agree!  Listen to Monique.  The word herpes literally means "to creep".  I dont think that is an accident....

Reinfection/autoinnoculation doesnt happen tons, but.  It does happen.  

It is not pretty possible at all. If it was, there would actually be a documented case for male of this occurring. Not one male in 30 years of practice has approached Terri Warren with a genital HSV-1 having had an established oral infection.

2 minutes ago, Disc0rdant said:

Reinfection/autoinnoculation doesnt happen tons, but.  It does happen.  

Is this guesswork or are there some studies that show the chance of this happening?

Just now, WilsoInAus said:

It is not pretty possible at all. If it was, there would actually be a documented case for male of this occurring. Not one male in 30 years of practice has approached Terri Warren with a genital HSV-1 having had an established oral infection.

Terri Warren should be careful not to be sued for her practice IMO because she could be responsible for many infected people while advising "worry not". 

Given the litigious nature of North Americans that you have just exemplified, I wonder why this hasn't happened already?

19 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Is this guesswork based on one person's opinion or do you have a study showing your reasoning?

That's the point, there is no study because the frequency is way, way too low. Terri Warren and Anna Wald for example have been involved in about 100 studies regarding herpes. They have not embarked on a study on additional infections for a very good reason.

Question to Terri Warren: How would someone with a prior history of oral hsv-1 still be able to get genital hsv-1? I know this is almost a negligible risk, but how would antibodies even allow this to happen?

Answer: I have seen one case of this in 33 years only

Also Terri's stock answer:

Once you have established herpes in one location of your body, there is very close to zero chance that you would get it at a new location on your body.

Yes that is one person's opinion. If there is someone better placed to have a superior opinion, please point us in that direction.

1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

That's the point, there is no study because the frequency is way, way too low. Terri Warren and Anna Wald for example have been involved in about 100 studies regarding herpes. They have not embarked on a study on additional infections for a very good reason.

Question to Terri Warren: How would someone with a prior history of oral hsv-1 still be able to get genital hsv-1? I know this is almost a negligible risk, but how would antibodies even allow this to happen?

Answer: I have seen one case of this in 33 years only

Also Terri's stock answer:

Once you have established herpes in one location of your body, there is very close to zero chance that you would get it at a new location on your body.

Yes that is one person's opinion. If there is someone better placed to have a superior opinion, please point us in that direction.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2564733/

In this study Anna Wald's questioning wether increase of ghsv 1 occurrence is due to increasing popularity of oral sex (which means safe sex for youngsters) or decrease of ohsv 1 in young generations. She doesn't conclude and admits we don't know. Personally I think ohsv 1 doesn't protect you against genital herpes of either type and increasing number of ghsv 1 is due to better testing. Before ghsv was ghsv no typing. 

Personally I think it does. At least you and I both have oral HSV-1 and have not been infected anywhere else, that's the only data we personally have!

Milagro ahora no dijo que posiblemente su hsv-1 fue en la infancia y que si ya se había realizado IgG para hsv 

@WilsoInAus

Miracle now did not say that possibly his hsv-1 was in infancy and that if he had already performed IgG for hsv

En lo personal si una persona tiene ohsv-1 y sus genitales entran en contacto con el hsv el sistema inmune tratara de atacar el virus pero como los axones están por todos lados es fácil que el virus penetre y  establezca una infección de ghsv ( claro si el sistema inmunológico no reconoce rápido las partículas virales)

Personally if a person has ohsv-1 and their genitals come into contact with the hsv the immune system will try to attack the virus but as the axons are everywhere it is easy for the virus to penetrate and establish a ghsv infection (of course if The immune system does not recognize the viral particles fast)

1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

Personally I think it does. At least you and I both have oral HSV-1 and have not been infected anywhere else, that's the only data we personally have!

Did you have risky sex? Because that's the main factor in contacting ghsv.

I have hsv 1 in both locations. No protection of existing antibodies. Unfortunately...

Did you have risky sex? Because that's the main factor in contacting ghsv.

I have hsv 1 in both locations. No protection of existing antibodies. Unfortunately...

You can believe what you wish, but the OP needs the facts to help him appreciate the risks and possible diagnoses. You have no evidence of genital infection with HSV-1. Hence as far as can be ascertained, antibodies working fine.

23 minutes ago, Atrapasueños said:

En lo personal si una persona tiene ohsv-1 y sus genitales entran en contacto con el hsv el sistema inmune tratara de atacar el virus pero como los axones están por todos lados es fácil que el virus penetre y  establezca una infección de ghsv ( claro si el sistema inmunológico no reconoce rápido las partículas virales)

Personally if a person has ohsv-1 and their genitals come into contact with the hsv the immune system will try to attack the virus but as the axons are everywhere it is easy for the virus to penetrate and establish a ghsv infection (of course if The immune system does not recognize the viral particles fast)

If it were that easy, then it would happen to a lot of people, in reality it does not.

Do they know why? Not just yet, but research into CD8αα+ memory T cells for example shows just how powerful these are against the virus - and that is just one of the 80 elements of the immune system that are in play in our body. It is truly an amazing thing.

Dicen que la mayoría de la gente tiene ohsv-1 entonces como es posible que día a día existen casos de gente que se infecta de ohsv-1 ser más realista

@WilsoInAusThey say that most people have ohsv-1 then how is it possible that day by day there are cases of people becoming infected with ohsv-1 being more realistic

Information on the sex of infected persons is available in 1,078 cases. 72% of the cases of genital HSV infection were women (65% are women when HSV-2 infection and 91% HSV-1). In the group of women 29% of the notifications were HSV-1 (in 50% of cases we have serotype information) and 29% in HSV-2. In men, 40.8% of the reported cases were HSV-2 and only 7% were type 1. In the HSV group, in which the serotype is unknown, 53% were men.

The mean age in men with genital HSV infection was 39.5 years (SD: 16) and in women 31 years (SD: 13.7) (p <0.001). For VHS-1 the mean age is lower in males (31 years, OD: 20), females (28 years, OD: 13) and HSV-2 is higher (44 years, DE: 15) in males and In women (35.6 years, SD: 15). The distribution of notifications by age group and sex is shown in Figure 2.

95.7% (1039/1086) of the diagnoses were performed by virus isolation, 3.8% by genome detection and 0.6% by detection of antigen.

6 hours ago, MoniqueLow said:

@MoniqueLow, @WilsoInAus i am concerning about GHSV2 only.  My worrie is as i mentioned in main without observeable Herpes Outbreak Urinary retention could be the initial symptom. In that case hownlong it persists.  I am going urine Time to Time just myself without know the bladder level(Could not feel the bladder level).  Yes i ahve to test and i am waiting for atleast 4 weeks to test std panel. I dont know how to handle this with rest of my life since i am married. Your comments are very much appreciated. I am crying daily because of my mistake. Don't know what to do. 

I am not sure of the points been raised here but there are some interesting ones emerging.

There is still a significant pool of people without oral HSV-1 which is actually growing as a proportion. Never in the history of man has the incidence of oral HSV-1 been as low as it is today. About 50% of the population arrives at adulthood with HSV-1 hence 50% do not. These are the people at risk of a genital infection - and there's plenty of them. 

The other interesting issue is whether the ratio of HSV-1 to HSV-2 infections has changed over time. I think the percentage of people with genital HSV-1 has probably remained stable, but condom usage, antivirals, education etc. have probably reduced HSV-2 to an extent. Hence the ratio of HSV-1 to HSV-2 has increased.

4 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

I am not sure of the points been raised here but there are some interesting ones emerging.

There is still a significant pool of people without oral HSV-1 which is actually growing as a proportion. Never in the history of man has the incidence of oral HSV-1 been as low as it is today. About 50% of the population arrives at adulthood with HSV-1 hence 50% do not. These are the people at risk of a genital infection - and there's plenty of them. 

The other interesting issue is whether the ratio of HSV-1 to HSV-2 infections has changed over time. I think the percentage of people with genital HSV-1 has probably remained stable, but condom usage, antivirals, education etc. have probably reduced HSV-2 to an extent. Hence the ratio of HSV-1 to HSV-2 has increased.

But if have idea about urinary retention in males at initial infection please share here. It is much appreciated. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Worstguyever said:

@MoniqueLow, @WilsoInAus i am concerning about GHSV2 only.  My worrie is as i mentioned in main without observeable Herpes Outbreak Urinary retention could be the initial symptom. In that case hownlong it persists.  I am going urine Time to Time just myself without know the bladder level(Could not feel the bladder level).  Yes i ahve to test and i am waiting for atleast 4 weeks to test std panel. I dont know how to handle this with rest of my life since i am married. Your comments are very much appreciated. I am crying daily because of my mistake. Don't know what to do. 

Not without sores really. In these cases there usually is a significant other and the combination of the stress of what you've done and implications for your partner and your future creates massive stress and genitally focused stress is surprisingly disruptive. 

I would seriously think about confessing here. This is because relationships are built on honesty and trust. Further the fact that this happened means something is not quite right in your marriage and this needs to be addressed. Do not fear the consequences. To be a honest person outweighs having to accept consequences from your wife.