World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Waitingu

My Story While I Await Bloodwork Results

Waitingu

It seems silly to be writing all this out, since I'm 99% sure the results will be HSV+, but I'm still waiting to hear back about my bloodwork. 

Three days ago I noticed a small whitehead on my labia. There were no traditional warning signs of an OB before this (to be fair, I did have a sore throat in the days before, but a lot of my friends were sick at the same time so I brushed that off), and I'm pretty on top of my business, so I know this thing just popped up overnight. Like an idiot, I squeezed it. Sebum came out, not liquid, not remotely close to liquid. No blood. Like, traditional pimple stuff. I thought little else of it and went along my way to work. At a certain point I went to the bathroom to pee, and apparently my labia had (via my normal mucosa or otherwise) gotten stuck to my underwear, so when I pulled them down it hurt! I'm worried that may have exacerbated the lesion. It's healing now (as normal skin, no crusting) and there has been no oozing, no pain. It's just the one spot.

Now, the thing that concerns me most is that this happened once before, around seven years ago. A single pimple on the labia, in almost the same place. No pain/irritation, no ooze or crusting. I got tested but was unaware that HSV was not on a normal STD panel, so I thought it was clear, and have been under the same impression for STD checks since. Sounds like a recurrence, though, so there are all these questions now. If I'm HSV+ and this is a recurrence of a virus I contracted at least seven years ago, what will my bloodwork show? It would have to be an accurate positive since this would be an active outbreak, right? It seems like I waited too long for a swab (48 hours is apparently best for accuracy), so I'm just wondering what information I'll even be able to parse out of the bloodwork if this has been in my body for so long.

Any help is appreciated!

Lisajd

If you get an igg blood test and it comes up positive it means that you have had it longer than 3 months and this is a recurring outbreak.   Your best bet is to try and get a swab especially if you do have another outbreak but just hang in there until you get your blood work done and then come back to us but what you're saying is definitely possible

Disc0rdant
2 hours ago, Waitingu said:

It seems silly to be writing all this out, since I'm 99% sure the results will be HSV+, but I'm still waiting to hear back about my bloodwork. 

Three days ago I noticed a small whitehead on my labia. There were no traditional warning signs of an OB before this (to be fair, I did have a sore throat in the days before, but a lot of my friends were sick at the same time so I brushed that off), and I'm pretty on top of my business, so I know this thing just popped up overnight. Like an idiot, I squeezed it. Sebum came out, not liquid, not remotely close to liquid. No blood. Like, traditional pimple stuff. I thought little else of it and went along my way to work. At a certain point I went to the bathroom to pee, and apparently my labia had (via my normal mucosa or otherwise) gotten stuck to my underwear, so when I pulled them down it hurt! I'm worried that may have exacerbated the lesion. It's healing now (as normal skin, no crusting) and there has been no oozing, no pain. It's just the one spot.

Now, the thing that concerns me most is that this happened once before, around seven years ago. A single pimple on the labia, in almost the same place. No pain/irritation, no ooze or crusting. I got tested but was unaware that HSV was not on a normal STD panel, so I thought it was clear, and have been under the same impression for STD checks since. Sounds like a recurrence, though, so there are all these questions now. If I'm HSV+ and this is a recurrence of a virus I contracted at least seven years ago, what will my bloodwork show? It would have to be an accurate positive since this would be an active outbreak, right? It seems like I waited too long for a swab (48 hours is apparently best for accuracy), so I'm just wondering what information I'll even be able to parse out of the bloodwork if this has been in my body for so long.

Any help is appreciated!

Very likely will show positive over 2.5

My HSV1 has shown a range, though 5-20!

Disc0rdant
2 hours ago, Waitingu said:

Any help is appreciated!

Plz tell us your results either way.  I think you are negative

Waitingu

Well, I got my results back just now and of course they're confusing, but I tested positive for HSV-1. 

IGG showed quite high, 35.3 - and the IGM showed 1.4. I know I shouldn't even bother trying to assess the results of the IGM, especially since I have Epstein Barr, which I hear can interact with that particular test. But I'd be curious to hear any interpretations or experience with similar labs.

This seems to have answered my most pressing question, which was that - if this is indeed an HSV OB, then it isn't primary, the sore throat I had was probably non-related, and I've had this for quite awhile, right? I just wanted to know if I could have contracted it from my most recent partner, or if it was likely from my last very long-term relationship or even before. 

Le sigh.

WilsoInAus

The most likely explanation is that this is an oral infection from childhood and that your genital issues are unrelated to herpes.

Disc0rdant
3 hours ago, Waitingu said:

Well, I got my results back just now and of course they're confusing, but I tested positive for HSV-1. 

IGG showed quite high, 35.3 - and the IGM showed 1.4. I know I shouldn't even bother trying to assess the results of the IGM, especially since I have Epstein Barr, which I hear can interact with that particular test. But I'd be curious to hear any interpretations or experience with similar labs.

This seems to have answered my most pressing question, which was that - if this is indeed an HSV OB, then it isn't primary, the sore throat I had was probably non-related, and I've had this for quite awhile, right? I just wanted to know if I could have contracted it from my most recent partner, or if it was likely from my last very long-term relationship or even before. 

Le sigh.

If you have not been with anyone the last 6 mos, you can bet you are only + for hsv1.  Now, could you have hsv1 downstairs?  Yes.  It would prob need to be swabbed to confirm.  The spot you popped could be hsv, bacterial, fungal/yeast or something else.  

Need swab to confirm that part.  My HSV1 igg number has been as high as 25.  

Joe1976

I agree with wilso that hsv-1 is more than likely long time oral infection as you would probably noticed initial ghsv1 ob. Anyways this should not be any sort of problem where it is as you are not having symptoms of anything too often right? You could just disclose you carry coldsore virus like most of people and thats it if you are worried about that part. 

Edited by Joe1976

worrier123

I know way before I ever had any sort of sexual contact I randomly used to get a spot in the same place from shaving every now and again, exactly how you described it. If it was your outer labia, it could be a hair follicle that has caused the issue to arise more than once. You know your body best of course, but just thought I'd say what I was thinking reading your post (if it is possibly the case that you already got hsv1 in younger days but never had a coldsore ob as others have said). Just something to consider, I hope you find out somehow so you can put your mind at rest :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• TerribleAtUserNames
      By TerribleAtUserNames
      Hi there, 
      Long time lurker, first time poster, and I'll keep it simple and condensed. 
      I've only signed up because I realize the depths of suffering some people are in, trying all sorts of desperate treatments, and I've basically been sitting on something that has taken me to near 0 outbreaks (hsv1 genital).
      When I first got infected some years back, I had an atypical presentation--no pain or itching, but permanently there. Bumps going up and down within the same day even, but pretty much permanently covering the head of my penis. Doctor swabbed it--came back hsv 1; he said it looked like it to him too. 
      Now to the meat of it--rubbing alcohol.
      Its simple, and I'm pretty surprised that I've only seen it mentioned once here--a woman was talking about it, so I assume it works for girls too. I apply once daily, to once every 3 days, and that keeps me pretty much permanently outbreak free. 
      It quite literally went from every day broken out for me to just about nothing. Anyway, to the what and where of it all... 

I use 99% isopropyl. 70% seems good too. I now have a spray bottle, but used to just dump it on the head and roll my foreskin up over it for like 20ish seconds--whatever process is actually happening, I like to think I'm facilitating absorption into the soft tissue by doing this and wreaking havoc on the virus. Obviously, you may have to do it a bit differently, genital depending.
      I've been doing this treatment for a few years now, so it has staying power. I read once that herpes is shreded by alcohol, so if true, I guess that explains it? However, iterupting regular treatment seems to have anecdotally, but not with great surety, made the herpes a bit less suceptible to the alcohol upon resumption. 
      Yes, it burns terribly at first. Over time it gets better. Some days it still really burns, and in those cases I advise listening to your body and cutting the countdown short. Other than that, it feels really damn good to basically tell herpes to eff off. 
      I don't know what kind of health risks there are. Or whether using a high % grain (drinking) alcohol would work / be healthier. I advise asking your doctor--afterall, alchohol is implicated in throat cancer. Who knows if 20-30 seconds daily on your junk can do something too. 
      But for those who struggle constantly, I truly hope this can help someone other than just me. 

I also hope that this finds its way to the right forum. I wanted it in a place where casual, straight from Google, viewers would see it when they came here, and I'm hoping--and asking, please--that if I didn't get it in the right place, a moderator can instead. And, should it help as I suggest, perhaps even stickying it one day. 
      I'm sorry in advance, I'm not a big forum person and don't come here crazy often. It just felt like something I should do for everyone else's sake. Hopefully you can excuse me if I'm an absentee topic starter. 
      Thanks for reading,
      - Taylor
    • Missingmynormal
      By Missingmynormal
      All I have been doing is research over the past three weeks and I still don’t even know where to begin this post because it’s still so shocking. This post might be long but I hope someone will read it and help me.  I feel like the doctors don’t really truly know about this topic in depth and I have no one to learn from and I’m so so scared.
      My first outbreak was 10 months ago. I had just had sex with a new person and started my period.  The doctor said it was BV and a yeast infection.  I knew that it couldn’t just be that.  My labia was terribly swollen and cut up that it was so painful to go to the bathroom.  Got better but then was cut up again about 2 weeks later and I think after antibiotics really had a yeast infection too.  About 3 weeks ago I felt really itchy one day and the next day I had a cut on my inner labia and started my period that same day.  After closely inspecting it I realized that maybe it could be a blister.  I got the doctor to swab it and they confirmed it was hsv2.  From the time the doc saw it my labia did get a little more raw but def not as bad as what happened 10 months ago.  Of course at that point my stress levels are high and I went back to the doctor a week later to get tested for everything else to make sure I was ok.  So of course high stress again.  Once my initial cut was healed I shaved and ended up with what I think was another outbreak but this time next to my outer labia.  I went back and forth if it was from shaving but I feel like there were two spots and they had itched and were painful. Those spots are not fully healed but no longer hurt.  This morning and for most of the day I felt a sunburn type feeling on my right butt.  When I’m looking at it now I swear that I can see these small bump patches that might look like little blisters ... I don’t think they look like regular little butt bumps. They are so small and it’s hard to see but it does feel tender.  So this makes it seem like the 3rd little outbreak within 3 weeks.   I have always had very dry sensitive skin and I have been very super aware of every little thing since this diagnosis.  I’m supposed to start my period next week and I’m terrified that with it will come a 4th little outbreak.  This is not as painful as that first outbreak but it’s more upsetting cause it feels like it’s lasting longer.

1. Does any of what I’m describing sound normal.  Can you get it in 3 different spots within 3 weeks like this? Why does it keep restarting and it didn’t last time.  Is it ever going to end!? 
      2. How can I figure out what this is going to be like for me if every single circumstance has had different symptoms.
      3. I thought it was mostly supposed to be in the same place so why does this seem like 3 different places? Also, the spot on my butt if it’s hsv2 is this just a place where it can show up or did I spread it there?
      4. If this is a spot on my butt does this mean that I can shed there? I’m so terrified of spreading this to my family.  The spot on my butt is in a place that could be potentially touched by someone as it’s on the top and wouldn’t maybe be covered by s bathing suit. If I’m holding my niece on my hips and her legs happen to rub against that part of my butt and I’m shedding could I pass it to her.  
      5. I went 10 months between these outbreaks and I’m hoping that I won’t have to deal with this often but I’m not understanding why all of the sudden for 3 weeks I’m having something new pop up each week.  I’m so scared that this is going to be my new normal.  I just want to feel like me again and comfortable in my own skin and for the last three weeks all I’ve felt is uncomfortable in my skin.  
      I’d appreciate any help that someone who has been through this can help. I feel hopeless
      I’ve been taking everyday
      a. Probiotic
      b. Vitamin c
      c. Vitamin d
      have periodically used coconut oil, lavender, rosemary, and have taken lysine a handful of times.  
    • beloved803
      By beloved803
      Hello everyone,
      I tested positive for HSV 1 & 2 yesterday. In these short 24 hours my emotion's have been on a roller coaster.  Sometimes I feel like I am normal and I can get over this mentally but then sometimes I break down and cry and feel so nasty about myself and the decisions I've made in life. Anyways I'm not writing on here to throw myself a pitty party but instead to find out what you guys prefer. Do you take medicine if so do you take it daily or just when you have outbreaks? Do you do the natural way and if so what are your recipes? What do you think are the pros and cons to either. I just really don't want to take a pill everyday to remind me of my choices. Any feedback is appreciated.
    • Notsure123
      By Notsure123
      So I have been getting pimples on my penis, 2 are chronic and do not move and react like a black head when squeezed, thin wormy thread of pus. Once in a while I will get a larger one midway up my shaft that can be more like a deep pimple under the skin that can pop. Happens about 3-4x a year. This does not hurt or crust over. The other day when cleaning my penis I noticed a rough patch under my forskin and found this small open wound. It alarmed me so I went to urgent care. After saying what I said above the practitioner said “that’s herpes” before seeing my penis. I later went to the VA urgent care for a second opinion and she said it’s not. I have been married 10 years with a break 3 years ago. Here are two angles of the same dot, do any of you have any thoughts on my experience? Syphilus  test came back negative.

• Ayopollo
      By Ayopollo
      Hey any help would be great. I’ve been losing my mind of this and I’ve been procrastinating on going to get tested because I’m scared of the results and also I have no insurance or anything to consult with a doctor.

so I got tested may of 2018 and I was positive for hsv1 which I feel like I may have gotten as a kid not sure, but since that test I’ve received unprotected oral sex twice and every since I’ve slowly been growing bumps on the meatus. I’m uncircumcised as well. Could this be herpes, warts, chlamydia? My girlfriend (I cheated on her and don’t know how to explain to her I might’ve caught something) has had a bit of blood discharge on her underwear in between periods. I work a lot and wear sort of tight clothing and I get smegma under the head as well. Smells bad too. Help!!! I’ve had this for months.
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • TerribleAtUserNames
      Hi there,  Long time lurker, first time poster, and I'll keep it simple and condensed.  I've only signed up because I realize the depths of suffering some people are in, trying all sorts of desperate treatments, and I've basically been sitting on something that has taken me to near 0 outbreaks (hsv1 genital). When I first got infected some years back, I had an atypical presentation--no pain or itching, but permanently there. Bumps going up and down within the same day even, but pretty much permanently covering the head of my penis. Doctor swabbed it--came back hsv 1; he said it looked like it to him too.  Now to the meat of it--rubbing alcohol. Its simple, and I'm pretty surprised that I've only seen it mentioned once here--a woman was talking about it, so I assume it works for girls too. I apply once daily, to once every 3 days, and that keeps me pretty much permanently outbreak free.  It quite literally went from every day broken out for me to just about nothing. Anyway, to the what and where of it all...    I use 99% isopropyl. 70% seems good too. I now have a spray bottle, but used to just dump it on the head and roll my foreskin up over it for like 20ish seconds--whatever process is actually happening, I like to think I'm facilitating absorption into the soft tissue by doing this and wreaking havoc on the virus. Obviously, you may have to do it a bit differently, genital depending. I've been doing this treatment for a few years now, so it has staying power. I read once that herpes is shreded by alcohol, so if true, I guess that explains it? However, iterupting regular treatment seems to have anecdotally, but not with great surety, made the herpes a bit less suceptible to the alcohol upon resumption.  Yes, it burns terribly at first. Over time it gets better. Some days it still really burns, and in those cases I advise listening to your body and cutting the countdown short. Other than that, it feels really damn good to basically tell herpes to eff off.  I don't know what kind of health risks there are. Or whether using a high % grain (drinking) alcohol would work / be healthier. I advise asking your doctor--afterall, alchohol is implicated in throat cancer. Who knows if 20-30 seconds daily on your junk can do something too.  But for those who struggle constantly, I truly hope this can help someone other than just me.    I also hope that this finds its way to the right forum. I wanted it in a place where casual, straight from Google, viewers would see it when they came here, and I'm hoping--and asking, please--that if I didn't get it in the right place, a moderator can instead. And, should it help as I suggest, perhaps even stickying it one day.  I'm sorry in advance, I'm not a big forum person and don't come here crazy often. It just felt like something I should do for everyone else's sake. Hopefully you can excuse me if I'm an absentee topic starter.  Thanks for reading, - Taylor
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Jazz923 they don’t look like herpes lesions, more like pearly papules that some guys get.  I’d suggest these are independent of your herpes status. The question of your herpes status will depend on the test that you had. What test suggested you had HSV-2? Was it a blood test?
    • Jazz923
      I recently seen these bumps on my penis didn’t hurt or itch only broke because I was masturbating (dumb move) this cleared up in week I got test and said it was hsv 2 but my gf got tested and had nothing I didn’t experience the things I seen on google and I didn’t take the medicine cause it has the virus in it I just need a bit more clarification like any kind of test or anything helps     https://ibb.co/pRm0VbJ
    • Sarah889
      So I guess I'm just on here for a bit of a rant, as today I woke up with my second outbreak in a month! My initial one was only at the end of April, and even after investing in a load of vitamins, lysine etc I'm in this situation again. I was hoping I'd be one of those who never gets another outbreak, but apparently not.  I think the problem is, I really liked my life before all of this crap, and I don't really want to have to change anything. Going to the gym is amazing for my mental health, and i normally go around 4 times a week. I also love a bit of chocolate every day (but I eat super healthy for the majority of the day) and being a uni student, I'm partial to a few cocktails and late nights every month as well. This is my time to socialise with my friends and have some fun. At 21 you really don't want to be taking your life too seriously.  Does anyone else just feel annoyed about having to switch up a happy life that they enjoy? I understand there's a lot of people who had unhealthy lifestyles before their diagnosis, that went on to lose weight which is great! But I'm already slim and active, and I eat freshly cooked food every day with lots of fruit and veggies.  I'm starting to believe that the only way to avoid an outbreak is to sit in my flat eating salads all day and have no contact with anyone else (in case of stress). Like I legit feel like I need to wrap myself up in cotton wool and just not allow myself to have a life at all. I'm so frustrated that I have to stop doing the things that I love. I'm going travelling next month, and I would bet all the money that I have that I will get another outbreak, because of the plane journey, late nights and alcohol. I just want to be a normal 21 year old who gets to enjoy her life! Does anyone else feel the same? 
    • BioHacker
      The meds work the same as long as you take them every day (some are one a day, some are multiple times per day). They cost money, but there is no reason you can't take them for life. Most people would just take the meds, but if you are married for 20 years and the meds are annoying for some reason, and you don't care about it, then maybe don't bother? It's up to the two of you. Skipping the daily meds would increase the risk from 0.7% per year to 1.4% per year (assuming sex 2x per week). That changes it from a 1-in-140 year event to a 1-in-70 year event (assuming you still use condoms every time). To be honest, most married people would probably rather skip the condoms before they skip the meds. It's up to you what measures you take though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.