World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Anon_mj

Devasted and no support

Anon_mj

Hello, i received positive results today for HSV2 and im completely devastated. Ive been with the same woman for 13 years, 8 of them married, with 1 child and 1 due soon. Im terrified when i tell her i will lose my family since i can only imagine her first reaction will be that i was unfaithful. I was no angel before we met and i did stray once early early on but i have been a good husband since. Ive had STD tests in the past and always tested negative for everything except HSV1 and now this out if nowhere since i have never shown any symptoms. I dont know what to do and could really use some advice/help please.

WilsoInAus

First thing is to definitely confirm the test, that you've hadn't the right one and the result is a clear positive.

What test did you have and what were the exact results?

Anon_mj

Swab on an open sore. Never experienced an outbreak until now i assumed it was a friction burn from masturbation but dr swabbed and said positive for HSV2. :/

WilsoInAus

Have you have a negative for IgG HSV-2 More than 12 weeks after a partner other than your wife?

Does your wife have oral cold sores?

do you think the swab was properly typed? How long did  it take for the culture result to come through?

Anon_mj

Not sure about the IgG tests. Ive had STD tests done by my primary in the past but not sure what exactly was ordered.

wife has not tested positive for hsv 1 or 2 and was tested recently since shes pregnant. 

The swab was done at an urgent care and results took 3 days. 

I have tested positive for oral HSV 1 in the past very long ago since i suffer from cold sores on very rare occasions but doesnt seem its ever passed to my wife.

WilsoInAus

Although there are many possibilities, it does appear the more likely is that you are carrying the HSV-2 virus.

If you get an IgG test immediately and its positive for HSV-2 you will probably need to include infection from a previous partner.

Do you think you were infected with HSV-1 as an adult?

Anon_mj

No i was infected with HSV1 over 20 years ago ive had cold sores most of my life just very scarcely. One every year or every other year. However somehow never passed it on to my wife it seems.

WilsoInAus

She may also have a childhood infection that hasn't shown up in testing. Not unusual not to transmit if you're careful with your cold sores.

The only way I feel you can learn more is with an IgG test immediately. Until then you need to assume you carry HSV-2 and your wife does not.

Anon_mj

Is it possible to carry HSV2 this long and not infect her? Still learning about what exactly is going on and just feeling so devasted. 

Anon_mj

Previous positive results of HSV1 were >5.0 and HSV2 <0.9 and these were years ago

Lisajd

Your hsv2 was positive then. Greater than 9 indicates infection.  Hi im on sg as well

Anon_mj

Thank you Lisa. Sorry i think i put it wrong. HSV1 was greater than 5 and HSV2 less than 0.9? Is that still positive? Or could i still have had hsv2 at that time?

LillianPanos

Mine are same tests results.  Swab said 2 but one dr said not typed properly. 

21 minutes ago, Anon_mj said:

Thank you Lisa. Sorry i think i put it wrong. HSV1 was greater than 5 and HSV2 less than 0.9? Is that still positive? Or could i still have had hsv2 at that time?