World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
lali

valcyclovir

lali

I am taking valacyclovir daily and planning on keeping taking it for ever but im reading that you shouldnt use it while pregnant. So how the hell am i suppose to get pregnant first of all. While we are trying and never being sure when i will be finally pregnant i need to be taking the pills to prevent transmission! So how does it work?! And i am doom to not having sex at all during my pregnancy since i cant take the medication anymore?! I dont want to put my partner at risk. Do no sex for 8 month!?!?! What guy would last that long....sounds to me like an unhealthy relationship. Why cant my life be normal. 

Lisajd

Whats your priority here.  A baby or sex and if ur partner cant go without then what sort of guy is he.  

Mellisuga
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎21 at 10:02 AM, lali said:

I am taking valacyclovir daily and planning on keeping taking it for ever but im reading that you shouldnt use it while pregnant.

Use valacyclovir until you know you are pregnant. Once you are pregnant, stop. There's your answer.

If it is confusing, speak to a doctor. You might be able to reduce how much of the drug you take.

lali
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Lisajd said:

Whats your priority here.  A baby or sex and if ur partner cant go without then what sort of guy is he.  

A normal one?

BadThingsHappen2GoodPpl

Valtrex is a pregnancy category B, so it is safe during pregnancy.  It's my understanding that docs put women on valtrex (who don't usually take a suppressive) prior to delivery to prevent transmision.

Lisajd
2 hours ago, lali said:

A normal one?

I consider at 1 would be OK with not having sex if it meant the safety of a child

lali
14 hours ago, BadThingsHappen2GoodPpl said:

Valtrex is a pregnancy category B, so it is safe during pregnancy.  It's my understanding that docs put women on valtrex (who don't usually take a suppressive) prior to delivery to prevent transmision.

Oh really? Thats great!

MissHope

Hi there,

I have two children. I have GHSV and my husband - to our knowledge - does not and we've been together for nearly 8 years. 

Prior to trying to conceive we simply used condoms, and abstinence whenever I had an outbreak.  I never took daily meds. 

We got to a point where we knew we were committed and wanted to start a family and the risk of him getting the virus was worth it to him. This is something your partner needs to weigh up.... is he committed enough to you or not? On top of which, if he does choose to leave, he could still well end up with the same virus seeing as it is just so common. There are so many people that carry it and have no symptoms at all (which could well be my husband at this point), or there are people that know and won't disclose

But to answer the question, yes Valtrex is safe to take in pregnancy, however the advice I received and research I did indicated that it should not be taken in the first trimester as it could harm the developing foetus. I chose not to take it for either of my pregnancies for the first trimester. 

Chances are with the morning sickness and first trimester fatigue you probably won't be feeling like sex then anyway! 

And yes, I was put on daily Valtrex for the last 3 weeks to suppress outbreaks prior to delivery as I delivered vaginally. 

If sex is such a priority, you may need to make adjustments.... there will be a time of abstinence after delivery for health & healing (usually 6 to 8 weeks depending on delivery method) that you need to consider too. And then if you plan to breastfeed, your baby will get any medications you take through the breastmilk..... it's a long time to expose an infant to Valtrex through both pregnancy and breastfeeding. 

I'd suggest speaking with a sexual health councillor or a health professional for further advice and then having an open discussion with your partner and taking things from there.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

Overit78

@MissHope May I ask if you had outbreaks during the first trimester in your two pregnancies? I am worried that outbreaks that I have had in the first few weeks of my pregnancy could have affected the growth of my baby.