World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
BadThingsHappen2GoodPpl

Atypical Presentation, Constant Symptoms

BadThingsHappen2GoodPpl

So I contracted ohsv 1 about 2 months ago. It's always been atypical for me. I had a really bad reaction and don't seem to handle the virus well. When I first started showing symptoms, my face didn't break out with the typical lesions. Wherever the virus was at, my face would break out in hives. It's started in my lip then worked it's was up my cheek to settle right by my ear. My entire mouth, chin, and left cheek were covered with hives that would blister and ooze. So much to the point that my face would drip at times. Gross, I know. The itching was horrible. I went to see a dermatologist who swabbed the area and tested for hsv and bacteria. Both of which came back negative. She put me on steroids and called it a type IV hypersensitivity reaction. Fast forward 2 months, several rounds of antivirals, several trips to an immunologist, and $2k worth of labwork.... I had a positive IGG, but continue to test negative via swab. The hives no longer appear when I feel symptoms - they only appear when it's in an area that has never been affected before. I have constant itching or tingling in my face. I'm never symptom free. If it's going to be bad (lip swelling and pain) the spot on my cheek by my ear really starts tingling/buzzing.  I'm taking daily famvir, which I'm certain helps, but from what I've seen, this is a totally atypical presentation. I don't get the textbook sore on the mouth/face, but more spread out, milder symptoms that cover my entire cheek, mouth, and chin. 

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?  Also, I've been reading that if you're experiencing any symptoms, you're likely shedding. I haven't kissed my kids in 2 months, since this all started. It's killing me, and them. Does anyone else who has constant facial prodrome know how contagious it is if u never get a sore? Do those who do get the classic lesions experience symptoms in between? Like it's always there and able to be felt?

Edited by BadThingsHappen2GoodPpl

WilsoInAus

I've read your posts and see there is an amount of confusion here.

I am interested in the perspectives of the immunologist here, what is their thinking?

The rest is purely my perspective.

The most rational conclusion to reach here is that you have a childhood HSV-1 infection that gives you no issues. Further, your hives issue is just that, hives and is unrelated to HSV. Did the doctor explain that this is urticaria? Your swab indicates that this is not HSV or bacteria and that sounds absolutely correct.

It is quite possible you are experiencing an autoimmune issue. Most people will experience at least one such episode in their lives. It usually occurs after a virus such as flu or other virus that is not permanent in the body. After the virus has been removed from body or substantially killed off, the immune system is meant to stop making antibodies. Sometimes it does not stop and antibodies keep getting produced which is ultimately broken down into histamine and that it is probably the issue here. 

Another possibility is an allergy.

This is why I cannot fully understand the immunologists approach as it is quite likely that it is an absence of a virus that is causing the issue, not a virus itself. Did they have a view on autoimmune urticaria or allergic urticaria?

BadThingsHappen2GoodPpl

Thanks for your reply. Are you medical by chance?

BadThingsHappen2GoodPpl

I am. And I agree, it doesn't appear to be typical hsv. At least not like any I've ever treated. If you're comfortable with how well versed you are on the topic, I'd like to pm you to bounce my case off of you. I've seen a gynecologist, dermatologist, discussed in length with an immunologist, and have an appt with ID next month.  So far, none have been helpful. 

WilsoInAus

Please do, I think we will both be able to learn a few things on immune issues!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I made it to month four without a visible sign of an outbreak. I had a really bad outbreak in the ending of April and was diagnosed with GHSV1. My initial outbreak took about a month to heal and left scars (a lighter pigmentation from my overall complexion on my genitals). Sadly I have been ridiculously paranoid to the point I have taken two 7 day treatments of Valtrex. More than likely it was probably just yeast infections (I get them way more than I should, even before getting hsv). I also take lysine twice a day and three times a day when I feel like an outbreak is coming on. I’ve been applying tea tree to my genitals everyday since getting diagnosed to dry out any potential outbreaks that are present that I possibly mistake for an ingrown hair. When does the worrying stop? How often have anyone on this forum with GHSV1 get outbreaks? What’s are some good tips and tricks?
    • Ellabux99
      By Ellabux99
      23year old Female; Been a year since a swab came back HVS1 positive on my vag!
      I’ve never had an STI in my life and Really compared to my friends have only had sex a handful of times.. so why me. *Tear sliding down my face. 
      6 partners.. 2 of which were after my first outbreak (unprotected one nighters - clearly didn’t learn my lesson) 
      I didn’t tell them, is that bad of me? They didn’t ask.. and after all it’s just a cold sore nore was I having a flare up at the time I actually forgot I had it for a while!
      I have endlessly trolled website after website..most of them contradicting others, I feel like I know more now then any doctor ever could! 
      On my year anversery of contracting this thing I had a nasty flare up. 5 weeks. To be fair though no where near as painful as my first! Had I of not left it four weeks to get the antivirals I feel like it wouldn’t have been half as bad - this makes me feel a little better knowing it’s not going to be as bad as my first although I do here you can get them in you wee hole *ekkkkkkk
      that scares me.
      Anyways.. I want to know anything and everything about your experiences! 
      Triggers - food, sex, exhaustion, periods (or periods/ hormones effect HSV 2 more so)??
      I just started a very physical job when I got my first and current reoccurance riding race horses in the saddle for 5 hours+  6 days a weeks do you think irritation had somthing to do with it? I wasn’t sleeping well either so maybe I was exhausted? 
      Reoccurance rate 
      Do you tell your boyfriends
      Do you pretend your one of those people who don’t know untill they get a flare up - has that ever worked against you? 
      Do you just say you get cold sores? 
      If both has ghsv 1 can we have sex or will it still spread? 
      I went to a sexual health clinic after the outbreak upset and crying.. I asked if my sex life was over she basically laughed in my face and went don’t be stupid, I wouldn’t even tell them you have it! The question is what if I was to have a flare up.. and with this new job I worried flare ups are going to happen quite often! 
      After all it is just a cold sore. 
      Thanks
    • Quest
      By Quest
      Google Search  Words Example: "Terri Warren tingling butt" These were the results! So any time Terri talked to anyone about the subject matter it showed up here!
       Honeycomb search engine Search Words Example: Say you are searching for "immune" by author Cas9 boom 178 results
      Google  science/trial search: You would search science of "BHT ncbi pubmed" by clicking HERE

Ask the experts now will cost you $25.00 Terri Warren RN, Edward Hook MD, & Hunter Hansfield MD
      I hope it helps you and you be good to you! 
      If  l or anyone helped you here please make a nice donation to Fred Hutch Research Center
      Mod update: you can now donate directly to HSV research at Fred Hutch here: http://engage.fredhutch.org/goto/hsvresearch
      Let me know what you want me to add
  • Trending Now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.