World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Sophie76

Accuracy of igg test at 9 weels?

Sophie76

I'm hearing a lot of different things and it's frustrating me. It's saying that 25% of tests miss hsv 1 and then that 1 in 10 tests are missed anyway. On the other hand it says that around 80-90% accuracy of a igg test at 9 weeks? Very confused with all these statistics. Can I trust me negative at 9 weeks? 

WilsoInAus

It is not quite known the exact accuracy of HSV-1 testing, but it would probably exceed 90% accurate for a recently infected person. Combined with negative swabs or nothing to swab gets you close to 100% sure.

HSV-2 testing is over 98% accurate.

That is ultimate accuracy usually achieved by 16 weeks.

You are also referring to seroconversion that occurs progressively from about 3 weeks after infection until 16 weeks.

At 9 weeks 90% of infections (that are going to be detected) will be detected.

I would repeat the test at 16 weeks to be sure and take the result as conclusive.

Sophie76
15 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

It is not quite known the exact accuracy of HSV-1 testing, but it would probably exceed 90% accurate for a recently infected person. Combined with negative swabs or nothing to swab gets you close to 100% sure.

You are also referring to seroconversion that occurs progressively from about 3 weeks after infection until 16 weeks.

I would repeat the test at 16 weeks to be sure and take the result as conclusive.

Thank you so much for your reply, that has cleared a lot of the confusion! 

Please can you explain what you mean by the seroconversion section? 

LillianPanos

Igg testing is awful at 1 year I show no hsv2. Show hsv 1 from childhood

Sophie76
4 minutes ago, LillianPanos said:

Igg testing is awful at 1 year I show no hsv2. Show hsv 1 from childhood

I'm sorry to hear that :( must be very confusing and frustrating. It's frustrating how the accuracy of this test isn't as good as ones for other stis. You would have thought it would be more accurate by now. 

Sophie76
26 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Also you mention that 90% of infections that are going to be detected will be. So you mean the percentage of people on average will test accurately at 9 weeks? 

LillianPanos
3 hours ago, Sophie76 said:

I'm sorry to hear that :( must be very confusing and frustrating. It's frustrating how the accuracy of this test isn't as good as ones for other stis. You would have thought it would be more accurate by now. 

And a cure by mNow

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• hk81
      By hk81
      Hi
      I need advices from people who have experience with ocular herpes.
      3 years ago I had a few meetings with an asshole liar that denied to have any disease.
      Despite my being careful, I could not avoid to get infected because of his careless attitude.
      2 days after one meeting I developed a small peripheral corneal ulcer in my left eye; my doctor didn't relate it to sexual diseases and after a few days of wrong treatment (she told me to put gentamicin cream in the eye!!), it went away. I believe that I may have touched my eyes carelessly, as it was late and it was my normal behavior from getting tired.
      After another meeting with the guy (about 1 month later), I developed blisters in my genital area. It was a large outbreak, like a primary one. I couldn't see the area well, but I think there were more blisters one near the other, very painful. They caused a large single ulcer which took 3 weeks to heal. I went to a STD ambulatory but the doctor, by looking at it (the healing ulcer), said that it didn't look like herpes. I asked for swabs. To my bad surprise, she did not even make an herpes test and she told me later that it was not tested in her hospital (!!). I have never had such a painful and long outbreak again later, but only very short and mild ones.
      2 months later the blister in the eye came back. I went to an optic and he prescribed me antibacterial drops and steroids.
      About one year later I had a diagnosis of HSV1 in the urethra, which increased my suspects that that person had HSV. He still denied everything and when I asked him to get tested, he blocked all my contacts (I'm still considering how to report such a person).
      For almost 2 years my eye didn't have any problem, even if I went into a lot of stress (relocation, new job, a person toying with my feelings and poor sleep periods with anxiety, lots of exposure to sun, ...).
      I also had several vaccinations (HPV, Hepatitis, Tetanus), which I have recently finished (and they make me wonder if they made any good to my immune system).

At the beginning of this year the problems with my eye started again.
      The first time I had small blisters in both eyes. In my left eye it's almost always in the same place. My right eye was never affected before.
      The second time I had again blisters in the left eye, this time after not much sleep and a day on the snow. Then in the right eye.
      I started visiting an ambulance for eye problems; every time I had a bad case of red eye, I went back to show it. In total I have been looked by 7 people, both when I had blisters and when I only had a bad red eye.
      Some of them stained my eye with pigments and watched through the lenses. Every time they told me it was not looking like herpes; probably they expected to see the typical branching lesion caused by herpes.
      Some of them said it was bacteria growing on my eye lids, some said I had dry eyes and my oil glands were obstructed. So most of the time I had indications to treat it with artificial tears or antibacterial drops and steroids (lotemax, prednisolone). One doctor once gave me acyclovir eye gel, not being sure if it really was herpes (after my indication).
      During the last visit (red eye only with no visible blisters, after a week end in the sun), I asked if I could get a swab. So they took it and they tested both chlamydia and Herpes. Both were negative.
      Despite their recommendation to use steroids, I applied also the acyclovir gel. I was surprised by the prescription of steroids without having properly tested for herpes. It is known that steroids reduce the immune response, that causes a proliferation of the virus and could make the infection worst.
      I applied the gel only to the affected eye. The redness would decrease significantly after 1 day and after 3 days it was almost looking normal. 1 week later after the start of the redness, the symptom appeared in the untreated eye. So I started to treat that eye in the same way. Then back again to the previous eye. And this continued from the beginning of the year until now (7 months).
      The redness is often accompanied with pain in the same side of my head. Often it happened after sun exposure (in summer period), biking for long, swimming training. Sometimes the affected eye has a small morning discharge near the lacrimal gland (yellow). Sometimes when I put artificial drops, I get some white patches on my eye lids, like if the tears are bringing out of my eye dead/dried skin.
      Many of these things are still making me suspect of herpes.
      So I would need some suggestions from people that have had the same problem. Can you relate to my symptoms? How did you get diagnosed? Is a swab a reliable test, or does it have many false negative? Did you get so many recurrences of red eye? And what did you do to stop them?
      I'm really depressed for what is happening to me and all the limitations that this is imposing me to my life. And also by the fact that I can't seem to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.
      Thank you for your help.
      L.
    • abdull81
      By abdull81
      alsalam aliykom sisters and brothers
      im looking for 7alal inshaAllah .. i have been diagnosed hsv2 since 5 years ago .. my ex wife passed it to me .. i was 32 years old virgin man .. she was my first but ..alhamdulillah i
      believe that every thing happens for reason .. anyway
      im here seeking 7alal so we can complete and love each other .. may Allah make it easy for us to find our ways 

E mail:   mohammed_tempe@hotmail.com
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 about a month ago. I have been having problems with the lymph nodes in my neck. My outbreak on my genitals have cleared up so I am unsure why my lymph nodes are still in pain. Can I also have oral hsv-1? What should I do? 
    • TerribleAtUserNames
      By TerribleAtUserNames
      Hi there, 
      Long time lurker, first time poster, and I'll keep it simple and condensed. 
      I've only signed up because I realize the depths of suffering some people are in, trying all sorts of desperate treatments, and I've basically been sitting on something that has taken me to near 0 outbreaks (hsv1 genital).
      When I first got infected some years back, I had an atypical presentation--no pain or itching, but permanently there. Bumps going up and down within the same day even, but pretty much permanently covering the head of my penis. Doctor swabbed it--came back hsv 1; he said it looked like it to him too. 
      Now to the meat of it--rubbing alcohol.
      Its simple, and I'm pretty surprised that I've only seen it mentioned once here--a woman was talking about it, so I assume it works for girls too. I apply once daily, to once every 3 days, and that keeps me pretty much permanently outbreak free. 
      It quite literally went from every day broken out for me to just about nothing. Anyway, to the what and where of it all... 

I use 99% isopropyl. 70% seems good too. I now have a spray bottle, but used to just dump it on the head and roll my foreskin up over it for like 20ish seconds--whatever process is actually happening, I like to think I'm facilitating absorption into the soft tissue by doing this and wreaking havoc on the virus. Obviously, you may have to do it a bit differently, genital depending.
      I've been doing this treatment for a few years now, so it has staying power. I read once that herpes is shreded by alcohol, so if true, I guess that explains it? However, iterupting regular treatment seems to have anecdotally, but not with great surety, made the herpes a bit less suceptible to the alcohol upon resumption. 
      Yes, it burns terribly at first. Over time it gets better. Some days it still really burns, and in those cases I advise listening to your body and cutting the countdown short. Other than that, it feels really damn good to basically tell herpes to eff off. 
      I don't know what kind of health risks there are. Or whether using a high % grain (drinking) alcohol would work / be healthier. I advise asking your doctor--afterall, alchohol is implicated in throat cancer. Who knows if 20-30 seconds daily on your junk can do something too. 
      But for those who struggle constantly, I truly hope this can help someone other than just me. 

I also hope that this finds its way to the right forum. I wanted it in a place where casual, straight from Google, viewers would see it when they came here, and I'm hoping--and asking, please--that if I didn't get it in the right place, a moderator can instead. And, should it help as I suggest, perhaps even stickying it one day. 
      I'm sorry in advance, I'm not a big forum person and don't come here crazy often. It just felt like something I should do for everyone else's sake. Hopefully you can excuse me if I'm an absentee topic starter. 
      Thanks for reading,
      - Taylor

Edit:
      I forgot to add in any negative effects I've experienced. 
      Sometimes, if its burning more than usual and I leave it too long, it does make the skin pinker than it should be, and sore. 
      The big question, what about loss of sensitivity? I worried that may happen, and its possible actually that I've lost some amount. But if I have, it wasn't even enough to remember when posting this originally, hahaha.
      Still every body is different, so I can only speak for me. But yes, for me, my sensitivity down there is still in great shape. 
      Over the last few years I've on average had less stiff erections, and dysfunction, which I never had before. However, I've also been less physically healthy, I've been mentally disengaged and highly anxious around sex and sexuality (and when I'm not anxious, it often improves quite a bit), I read once that herpes itself can actually cause forms of ED, and I'm also now out of my 20's, so... 
      Possibly related? But also very possibly unrelated to the alcohol. I'm biased though, both in mentality and my words here. So, perhaps consult a doctor if you're concerned. 
      Cheers! 
    • Ayopollo
      By Ayopollo
      Hey any help would be great. I’ve been losing my mind of this and I’ve been procrastinating on going to get tested because I’m scared of the results and also I have no insurance or anything to consult with a doctor.

so I got tested may of 2018 and I was positive for hsv1 which I feel like I may have gotten as a kid not sure, but since that test I’ve received unprotected oral sex twice and every since I’ve slowly been growing bumps on the meatus. I’m uncircumcised as well. Could this be herpes, warts, chlamydia? My girlfriend (I cheated on her and don’t know how to explain to her I might’ve caught something) has had a bit of blood discharge on her underwear in between periods. I work a lot and wear sort of tight clothing and I get smegma under the head as well. Smells bad too. Help!!! I’ve had this for months.
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • TCBH
      Another company looking to create a vaccine.  http://www.bluewillow.com/bluewillow-biologics-awarded-patent-for-intranasal-genital-herpes-vaccine/ BlueWillow’s intranasal NanoVax platform elicits both mucosal and systemic immunity through its novel oil-in-water nanoemulsion (NE) adjuvant, offering a unique advantage to combat sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including genital herpes. The mucosal immunity elicited by intranasal NE vaccines provides critical protection against infections at the port of entry by which a pathogen enters the body. The intranasal NanoVax HSV vaccine has demonstrated safety and efficacy in both prophylactic and therapeutic animal models for genital herpes. In a prophylactic guinea pig study, the intranasal vaccine prevented genital herpes infection in 92 percent of animals vaccinated. Therapeutic study animals previously infected with genital herpes who received the BlueWillow vaccine reduced recurrent lesions and viral shedding by more than 50 percent compared to animals who received no treatment.
    • JHenry
      Cas, This is sooooooo exciting I may need a diaper!  How bout you?  😊
    • JHenry
      This is wonderful news!  Impressive dollars raised and the team is absolutely outstanding.  For those who have been dreaming of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation on our side, consider your prayers answered.  William Jacobs and Betsy Herold from Einstein have “sounded” extremely confident all along.  While maybe not just “around the corner” this is amazingly exciting!   If there was ever a person that possibly could be a force in “fast tracking” could it be Mr. Bill Gates?  While it may seem “so far off”, for those of us having been infected for 20+ years or more, it is still music to our ears, and the  glass is always half full-without hope you have nothing.   Never forget this line from Shawshank Redemption:                                           “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies”. 
    • LightafterDarkness
      Discussion thread on this news here:  
    • LightafterDarkness
      This is pretty impressive for a number of reasons: Average funding for a series A in biotech is around ~$50M but the median is around ~$30M as of 2018 The takeaway then is the XVax is at the higher end of the spectrum suggesting (1) High investor interest, (2) XVax is thinking big A robust set of investors- good to see that there are multiple names here rather than 1-2. Again, suggests robust interest from investors Note that the anchor investor (i.e., the biggest) is Adjuvent who are backed by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, good to see that HSV continues to be of interest to them (my theory: due to the link with HIV and Alzheimer now)   Overall everyone should be cheering this news given the impressive results seen with animal models. Still remember this is going to be a multi year process- I would hope to see a phase I in 2020

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.