World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Newtothis123

Please help

Newtothis123

Hello all, my wife and I have two small children and I have been on suppressive therapy, the question is if we plan out when we can do it which is usually the case, how many days before should I start popping pills daily if I don't want to take them every single day, in other words how long does it take Valtrex, to get into your system for suppressive purposes thanks 

WilsoInAus

Hey there and welcome to the website.

Whether you need antivirals or not depends on what herpes and locations you and your wife have. What is the situation here?

It is best with suppressive application to take the antivirals daily. This provides the best opportunity for minimising outbreaks and shedding. 

Failing that, it is best to take the antivirals for about 5 days before assuming that the virus replication has been lowered to close to its greatest extent for you.

Lurker_No_More

My most sincere advice that you may not hear from 'doctors' is for each of you and your wife to take a daily dose of L-Lysine. It's a natural amino acid and a life saver.

Newtothis123

So let's say she gets her period and on say day two or three of her period I start the antiviral for five days then we should be OK, I know it sounds crazy but we only have sex about once a month because we are always super busy 

Newtothis123

I am taking lysine daily should I tell her to do same as an additional preventative? 

Newtothis123
16 minutes ago, Lurker_No_More said:

My most sincere advice that you may not hear from 'doctors' is for each of you and your wife to take a daily dose of L-Lysine. It's a natural amino acid and a life saver.

18 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey there and welcome to the website.

Whether you need antivirals or not depends on what herpes and locations you and your wife have. What is the situation here?

It is best with suppressive application to take the antivirals daily. This provides the best opportunity for minimising outbreaks and shedding. 

Failing that, it is best to take the antivirals for about 5 days before assuming that the virus replication has been lowered to close to its greatest extent for you.

Sorry not sure about how to use the site, I have genital hsv 1 wife has nothing, I'm taking lysine should she as well, as for suppression, we only find time for sex about once a month and it's usually planned so if I take five days worth I should be good to go? Ugh this is all crazy someone please find a cure 

WilsoInAus

Genital HSV-1 does not shed very often. It is questionable whether a daily tablet of antiviral is worth the reduction in risk from an already low level of risk. Nevertheless about 5 days should be OK in this circumstance.

Lysine does not in any way reduce shedding or have any preventative properties, it is all a bit of a myth.

Newtothis123

Thanks another quick question is it true if you have it genitally you won't transfer it to another part of your body usually unless you come in direct contact with sores 

WilsoInAus

Even with active sores it is extremely difficult to spread it yourself.

How often do you get outbreaks?

Newtothis123

Recently diagnosed first breakout, she is negative, either I picked it up some weird way or it layed dormant, I'm very very depressed, she is great but I feel like I have brought an evil into my home, this hurts me as a man and what is supposed to be a protector, I'm worried about passing this on to her or god forbid the kids 

Newtothis123

Blood test, there was nothing to swab because I had no idea what was going on and was initially misdiagnosed, by the time I went to a dermatologist everything was scabbed up, iGg test came in positive hsv 1, 2.48 anything over 1.1 is positive 

WilsoInAus

It is much more likely you have an oral HSV-1 infection from your childhood.

If for some reason you have genital HSV-1 then it has come from your wife and hence youncannot reinfect her.

Either way I suggest there maybe some overthinking this, you don't need antivirals before sex.

Disc0rdant

You should both get blood tested for piece of mind.  Yes.  You could have hsv1 lay dormant for yrs.  It happens.  She could also have passed it to you.  It happens.  

Best to consult your dr.  Anylabtestnow.com charges 49 bucks for an igg hsv1/hsv2 test.

WilsoInAus
2 hours ago, Newtothis123 said:

It's not from her, I have it genitally for sure 

What makes you think that? 

Lisajd
3 hours ago, Lurker_No_More said:

Lysine is not an antiviral and does not prevent transmission

Newtothis123

Yes she is confirmed negative for both, I am confirmed positive for hsv 1 I know it's genitally because I had an event downstairs, clusters of blisters, dermatologists visual inspection confirmed this and blood work came back hsv 1 positive

Edited by Newtothis123

WilsoInAus

There are a few things that cause blisters; visual diagnoses are not very good. 

How many days from the outbreak until the IgG test, about 5-8 days?

A genital HSV-1 infection is probably the better outcome compared to another location. To conclude that this is a genital HSV-1 infection, and that's a valid interpretation, then this means that the source is the person you had sex with in the week prior to the outbreak. There is no other pragmatic explanation for this to be herpes. That is, unless you've played an away game, your wife is the source regardless of what testing suggests. Childhood HSV-1 infections are of the higher risk in terms of not being detected in a blood test. This means there is no real need for antivirals at all and your children are entirely safe from possible infection from you, but not the 70%+ of the population who has HSV-1.

The other valid interpretation is that you have an oral HSV-1 infection from your youth. Again this does not equate to a need for antivirals, the only practical measure that is required is to keep any active cold sore away from people.

Newtothis123

If you must know I had an ingrown hair went to the urinal and got saliva on my two fingers and when I touched my shaft at the base virus entered and wala she doesn't have it I screwed myself by not being careful 

WilsoInAus

That's not feasible mate.

How many days after the blisters did you have your blood test?