World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
J4444

Questions about tests

J4444

Hey guys. I'm new here. Just thought I'd share my story and see what you guys think. I had a one night stand with a girl I sorta knew, about one month ago. A couple days later I got pretty sick, but recovered quickly with steroids. About a week after that unnoticed an irritation in my urethra. That went on for about two weeks and then I started feeling a tingling sensation in my groin and other body parts (lower back and feet). I read this is something that may occur with herpes. I've been to three doctors to check me out, and they told me not to worry about herpes. I had been tested for a couple things, but not herpes. I got swabbed last week and I'm awaiting the results. Very anxious and nervous. I haven't had an outbreak. 

Since then my PCR swab came back negative, but my symptoms have not gone away. I recently noticed a really red rash on my scrotum. And what looks like tiny red bites. It's hot and sweaty and is very strange. 

A couple weeks ago, these things went away, but the tingling has not. So I went to my primary care doctor to have some routine blood-work done. These tests all came back normal except for the ANA test. This test dectects autoimmune antibodies. Could this be an indicator for herpes infection, or does anyone have any insight? 

Thanks!

WilsoInAus

In general, your symptoms do not sound related to herpes. Remember that symptoms beyond sores are almost always present at the same time as sores or just prior. The symptoms cannot be selected menu style.

To understand your herpes test, the correct one is for IgG antibodies, type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. No other test indicates herpes with any credibility. This would need to be done 12 weeks after the episode of concern to be confident in a negative outcome.