World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
vitalsign0

Does the "cure" already exist?

valleynovascotia

So it sounds like theres a chance this could make us non-contagious?

RVX Patient and Investor

i think anyone who wants to try it and can get it should, and later maybe even the new subunit ver, but i wouldn't hold out much hope for it actually doing anything (except for shingles of course).

Edited by RVX Patient and Investor

Anglique

But some people sow some improvment since they had the vaccine

RVX Patient and Investor
5 minutes ago, Anglique said:

But some people sow some improvment since they had the vaccine

i know, which is why i don't oppose anyone trying it.  i just don't see how it could help, as a scientific matter.  why?  b/c HSV1/2 are very different from c.pox or shingles.  think of it this way, if those vaccines gave protection or treatment, then those people who got those vaccines wouldn't ever acquire HSV1/2 to begin with, and yet, we know that isn't the case.

again, i support anyone trying it, b/c afterall, who the hell wants shingles??

Anglique

But the herpes 1 and 2 drugs,used for shingles too,so why not shingles vaccine wouldent work for herpes 1 and 2,and there is a french study made on this

RVX Patient and Investor
1 minute ago, Anglique said:

But the herpes 1 and 2 drugs,used for shingles too,so why not shingles vaccine wouldent work for herpes 1 and 2

i don't follow your question above, AVs you mean?  AVs and vaccines are totally different.

and the french "study" is basically nothing more than speculation thats been pretty much debunked in the years since.

MoniqueLow
4 hours ago, Anglique said:

But the herpes 1 and 2 drugs,used for shingles too,so why not shingles vaccine wouldent work for herpes 1 and 2,and there is a french study made on this

There are few threads regarding that here on HC. After shingles vax, some people got really better, some no effect, few adverse reactions... I got perscription for Zostavax from a doctor, but decided to wait for Shingrix.

Edited by MoniqueLow

RVX Patient and Investor

thats an interesting question...  if one believes that there may be some crossover protection, which one one would be more likely to provide it?  the current live vax, or the supposedly more effective subunit vax?

if i could, i'd get the live one now, and get the subunit one later, whenever it comes out, b/c, why not?

i still don't see how either helps with HSV but again, i don't see any downside either.

SupermansJustice
11 minutes ago, RVX Patient and Investor said:

thats an interesting question...  if one believes that there may be some crossover protection, which one one would be more likely to provide it?  the current live vax, or the supposedly more effective subunit vax?

if i could, i'd get the live one now, and get the subunit one later, whenever it comes out, b/c, why not?

i still don't see how either helps with HSV but again, i don't see any downside either.

I would wait for the subunit.

Anglique

@MoniqueLow if i may ask why wating??u mean is there something coming soon or all what it says here about VAX is just talking??

Edited by Anglique

hurryup
2 hours ago, MoniqueLow said:

There are few threads regarding that here on HC. After shingles vax, some people got really better, some no effect, few adverse reactions... I got perscription for Zostavax from a doctor, but decided to wait for Shingrix.

I'm not sure if this was answered on another thread, but any idea when Shingrix will be available to public?

Not sure I believe this will actually work, but what the heck.

MoniqueLow
3 hours ago, Anglique said:

@MoniqueLow if i may ask why wating??u mean is there something coming soon or all what it says here about VAX is just talking??

1 hour ago, hurryup said:

I'm not sure if this was answered on another thread, but any idea when Shingrix will be available to public?

Not sure I believe this will actually work, but what the heck.

It should be approved by FDA this year, so I don't know, maybe already next year?

HarryAUS

I think this is very interesting, thank you for posting @vitalsign0 . The study is not conclusive because the sample size is small but the results are quite remarkable. 

According to this article, GSK has proven that Shingrix does not interact badly with Zostavax:

http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/gsk_makes_case_for_revaccination_with_shingrix_1196584

@SupermansJustice why would you wait for the subunit?

@valleynovascotia I know they are very different viruses but didn't you try a similar approach with HPV? How did that work out?

valleynovascotia
14 hours ago, HarryAUS said:

I think this is very interesting, thank you for posting @vitalsign0 . The study is not conclusive because the sample size is small but the results are quite remarkable. 

According to this article, GSK has proven that Shingrix does not interact badly with Zostavax:

http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/gsk_makes_case_for_revaccination_with_shingrix_1196584

@SupermansJustice why would you wait for the subunit?

@valleynovascotia I know they are very different viruses but didn't you try a similar approach with HPV? How did that work out?

I'm hoping the hpv vax works I'm using  condolox and it seems its finally working. it didn't seem to work before vax but I think I'm seeing improvements  but I hope I didn't jinx it cause damn this is brutal herpes and hpv plus living In rural place I could go on all day about being single and my evil giver but you guys have all heard my stories lol.

medicalanonymo

I think nature has already provided a solution almost close to a cure.

See ppl who are infected with OHSV2 rarely have OBs and they are protected from any new infection of HSV1 or GHSV2.

But this is dangerous cause if it turns out bad then I have heard OHSV2 folks have constant buzzing in the ear, headaches etc ..

So if we improve on it by creating  a close enough vax to OHSV2 but not harmful we will have a cure.

Ofcourse, Dr. Halford's thought might have been the same in creating Theravax but still NOT proven entirely safe or effective.

When you look deep into nature there's already a solution for everything. Another one is CASPR, nature already had a beautiful method at solving virus

Edited by medicalanonymo

HarryAUS
On 10/07/2017 at 2:01 PM, vitalsign0 said:

I just reread the above paper posted by @vitalsign0 to see if I was missing something. I don't think I am and I have no idea why the remarkable results the paper outlines haven't created more excitement/discussion/buzz on here.

To summarise: over a six year period (2005-2011), a small (n=24) but clinically rigorous trial tested the hypothesis that administering existing anti-VZV vaccines (shingles, aka HSV3) to HSV1/2 infected patients would elicit cross-protection given the very close genetic relationship HSV3 shares with HSV1+2.

The result? "Following one anti-VZV vaccination, the mean annual number of herpes relapses decreased from 6–8 to zero". A control group of 26 HSV+ patients was also observed over the same time period and showed no difference in their outbreak recurrence.

What is the probability of this result being random? The study's authors discuss the possibility of placebo effect but largely discount it for what seem like credible reasons.

Can @Evaluate @OFMDH @Cas9 @WilsoInAus (or anybody else with good scientific knowledge) explain why this isn't exciting and at least worthy of further research/inquiry/discussion? 

Edited by HarryAUS

StayingUpbeat

This topic based on the paper mentioned resurrects itself every few months when a critical mass of new members is sufficient to forget one of the previous debates.  Ultimately there was a thread created for people who tried this to report how well it did (or did not work) back in 2012.

To cut to the chase (at least in this very unscientific follow-up) it didn't provide meaningful relief to anyone on this site who tried it.  Most of the experts that have been willing to weigh-in effectively didn't have very high hopes either.  There was even a user named @mcnulty that met the doctor who led the study and didn't have a rousing reaction.

From a practical perspective, since it gets attention every 6-months or so, the approach would likely have become a meteoric phenomenon if people were really experiencing the relief advertised.

RVX Patient and Investor
44 minutes ago, Ajuda said:

OHSV2 = theravax ??

No.

Ohsv2 = oral herpes type 2

HarryAUS
45 minutes ago, StayingUpbeat said:

This topic based on the paper mentioned resurrects itself every few months when a critical mass of new members is sufficient to forget one of the previous debates.  Ultimately there was a thread created for people who tried this to report how well it did (or did not work) back in 2012.

To cut to the chase (at least in this very unscientific follow-up) it didn't provide meaningful relief to anyone on this site who tried it.  Most of the experts that have been willing to weigh-in effectively didn't have very high hopes either.  There was even a user named @mcnulty that met the doctor who led the study and didn't have a rousing reaction.

From a practical perspective, since it gets attention every 6-months or so, the approach would likely have become a meteoric phenomenon if people were really experiencing the relief advertised.

Thank you @StayingUpbeat for the recap.