Jump to content
World's Largest Herpes Support Group


  • Donate

    If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

  • The Hive is Thriving!

    • Total Topics
      71,285
    • Total Posts
      482,316
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

    Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

  • Posts

    • Just a human being
      People say they want a cure but some days I wonder. If you express how stressful it’s been to support a small cohort through treatment with limited evidence most do not understand, when you ask for support or your struggles to cope with people’s trauma in treatment, or the ingrained societal perceptions, when you try to talk about the evidence it’s like you’ve done some evil thing! Apparently going against the grain to do what’s right is not worthy of human understanding or support! After over a year in the space it’s so clear to me why there has been no progress. You are completely ostrisized from the community for speaking out on this topic. How many are voiceless here too scared to speak? Yet we rarely hear from you. When you are successful you just disappear and I understand why as no one would listen to you anyhow! I hope for anyone reading this you get out alive lest you become a lost soul in purgatory stamping out hope for others due to confusion weaved in science and medicine. 
    • MikeHerp
      Not directly on HSV, but this general overview of where gene editing is, is a very good read. Recommend at least skimming it. A lot of excitement is building around gene editing.  https://67c5cfaa-bdc0-42a5-95c4-a822adc972c7.filesusr.com/ugd/80a6fd_a53ed12021a54292bb50ed1255e31118.pdf
    • Just a human being
      It s not really possible to ban anyone from this forum. Some people would just get back on and create a reign of terror in their wrath. I’ve seen it before. In the end everyone has to accept them and it teaches the group tolerance. Trust me I’ve been through the same feelings and I don’t want to act like I’m always Mr positive or anything cos I am Just a human being!And honestly we need to consider others welfare. They would be lost without this forum. I think if you took it away they would suffer serious trauma. It just takes a small amount of time to work around it! I have deep respect for @MikeHerp it takes a lot of work to get something like this off the ground! I think genetic research is very valuable and important!  I have duel interests human systems and health and agriculture. In the agriculture realm I’m not a big fan of say Monsanto’s brand of genetic research in application. I am a big fan of genetic research to inform plant breeding!  I think this is good work that will be insightful for humans in the future! Don’t take a few difficult people to heart! Trust me I do know it’s difficult.  I didn’t even read a single comment of theirs! Wow that’s big for me! Back to Fred Hutch....    
    • MikeHerp
      What I find interesting about this trial is that even though half life is 25 days, measurements of shedding and lesions will be done until nearly 4 months.  Maybe they expect the effect to last longer than the half life (maybe the binding effect survives longer than the half life). 
    • MikeHerp
      Message from FHC philanthropy:   “There is a small glitch with the website that we are working on. The page is still live, located here: http://engage.fredhutch.org/site/TR/PersonalFundraisingPages/General?px=1802786&pg=personal&fr_id=1574 I will need to request a new link to "fredhutch.org/hsv" for you on Monday, which is not working right now, but you can access the site from the link above in the meantime. I will let you know when that is fixed”
Sign in to follow this  
SupermansJustice

Theravax (delta NLS) vs gD Subunit in Guinea Pigs (not mice) - Prophylactic Study

Recommended Posts

SupermansJustice

Hello all,

Here is a poster from Dr. Halford's research group comparing Theravax vs gD subunit vaccine in guinea pigs. Please read it in it's entirety before posting a response.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjX44aCyoPVAhWH44MKHaUcDfcQFggpMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fidsa.confex.com%2Fidsa%2F2012%2Fwebprogram%2FHandout%2Fid789%2FPOSTER210_1746.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHXiTVKPVITW8QnO_v-XKGVUu1iQw

Let's keep this scientific. No flaming.

Here are the conclusions from the study:

  • 0∆NLS is attenuated in guinea pigs but not avirulent at high doses

• 0∆NLS induced high levels of neutralizing Ab and detectable gD2 Ab titers

• At both 3 weeks and 6 months post challenge, the 0∆NLS vaccine significantly reduces acute disease, vaginal viral replication and protects the neural tissues

• At 6 months post challenge, neither vaccine reduced recurrent disease or recurrent viral shedding

• Overall, the 0∆NLS vaccine elicits a durable immune response but did not reduce recurrent shedding • Need to immunize 3X?

Edited by SupermansJustice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

Hey nice article. Am I missing an implication though? Put simply, a vaccine based on a mutant of the full virus is superior to a subunit? That in and of itself seems hardly surprising. Maybe it would have been better to look at a broader spectrum of immune response, even in a guinea pig model, but pretty impressive on the gD2 neutralisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SupermansJustice
12 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey nice article. Am I missing an implication though? Put simply, a vaccine based on a mutant of the full virus is superior to a subunit? That in and of itself seems hardly surprising. Maybe it would have been better to look at a broader spectrum of immune response, even in a guinea pig model, but pretty impressive on the gD2 neutralisers.

Thank you for the question: I'll focus on three points:

  • "0∆NLS is attenuated in guinea pigs but not avirulent at high doses" (This is particularly important depending how many PFU are injected) at 10^7 is was more virulent than at 10^6.
  • At both 3 weeks and 6 months post challenge, the 0∆NLS vaccine significantly reduces acute disease, vaginal viral replication and protects the neural tissues (That's pretty good that it will decrease acute disease. Nothing wrong with that)
  • At 6 months post challenge, neither vaccine reduced recurrent disease or recurrent viral shedding (This means when guinea pigs were challenged 6 months after immunization (prophylactic) - neither vaccine really reduced recurrent disease or recurrent viral shedding. Does that mean in the real world if someone were to get Theravax - would their risk of recurrent lesions after exposure be increased at say 6 months-1 year post immunization than say 1-2 weeks later? It seems like that's the case. Not everyone can predict when they will be exposed to HSV-2. In other words, it seems like the immune response for the live virus vaccine was notably different a few weeks after immunization versus 6 months later. It would seem that there may be an issue with durability in guinea pigs at this dose. 

 

 

Edited by SupermansJustice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

Agree with all that except for shedding. The viral load associated with the shedding is important. You can shed every day but if the load is low enough, transmission odds can be pragmatically zero. I think that's an issue with PCR detection of shedding, it is difficult to get a true sense of viral load such that people assume a dichotomous outcome, that is, any copies equals 'shedding' which equals the same (non unitary) infection chance. Not something I believe to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACE2002

Where did you get that graph from? This seems fishy to me, it's like you ONLY target theravax! You post information about theravax and then you talk about it in way that makes me think you understand what it is saying, seems like you know a lot about the methodology of vaccines, like too much for a normal person, hmmm. Then you post stupid shit on other posts about why they don't want us to get a vaccine like pivfler or whatever, it seems you play the ignorant very well when it suits you. Obviously they're not going to allow vaccines in the usa, because they make too much money on the drugs, but you play the ignorant and say "why would they do that, why would they not allow us to pass and approve this drugs." Seems fishy to me! hmmmmmm!!!!!! 

 

Also I have taken notice of when you post and what type of things you post, it's like someone is paying you or something, because all your posts are around the same time, sporadic but precise in the timing of when you post. The same for using your pettetion wasting peoples time, that shit will never get passed! It's like you're bating people with it to distract them away from theravax. I was a lurker for a while on here but had to make an account after watching and reading you and OFMD and glitter dx or whatever, seems really suspicious to me!

Edited by ACE2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SupermansJustice
20 minutes ago, ACE2002 said:

Where did you get that graph from? This seems fishy to me, it's like you ONLY target theravax! You post information about theravax and then you talk about it in way that makes me think you understand what it is saying, seems like you know a lot about the methodology of vaccines, like too much for a normal person, hmmm. Then you post stupid shit on other posts about why they don't want us to get a vaccine like pivfler or whatever, it seems you play the ignorant very well when it suits you. Obviously they're not going to allow vaccines in the usa, because they make too much money on the drugs, but you play the ignorant and say "why would they do that, why would they not allow us to pass and approve this drugs." Seems fishy to me! hmmmmmm!!!!!! 

 

Also I have taken notice of when you post and what type of things you post, it's like someone is paying you or something, because all your posts are around the same time, sporadic but precise in the timing of when you post. The same for using your pettetion wasting peoples time, that shit will never get passed! It's like you're bating people with it to distract them away from theravax. I was a lurker for a while on here but had to make an account after watching and reading you and OFMD and glitter dx or whatever, seems really suspicious to me!

This Halfords OWN poster from a conference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACE2002
10 minutes ago, SupermansJustice said:

This Halfords OWN poster from a conference

Or so you say! This fake news! I'm watching.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SupermansJustice
5 hours ago, fixme1 said:

Stop crying to admins 

I think we'll keep it to the science

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Freddy Fender
13 hours ago, SupermansJustice said:

Hello all,

Here is a poster from Dr. Halford's research group comparing Theravax vs gD subunit vaccine in guinea pigs. Please read it in it's entirety before posting a response.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjX44aCyoPVAhWH44MKHaUcDfcQFggpMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fidsa.confex.com%2Fidsa%2F2012%2Fwebprogram%2FHandout%2Fid789%2FPOSTER210_1746.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHXiTVKPVITW8QnO_v-XKGVUu1iQw

Let's keep this scientific. No flaming.

Here are the conclusions from the study:

  • 0∆NLS is attenuated in guinea pigs but not avirulent at high doses

• 0∆NLS induced high levels of neutralizing Ab and detectable gD2 Ab titers

• At both 3 weeks and 6 months post challenge, the 0∆NLS vaccine significantly reduces acute disease, vaginal viral replication and protects the neural tissues

• At 6 months post challenge, neither vaccine reduced recurrent disease or recurrent viral shedding

• Overall, the 0∆NLS vaccine elicits a durable immune response but did not reduce recurrent shedding • Need to immunize 3X?

What is the point of you starting this thread other than than trying to bring down Dr. Halfords vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SupermansJustice
6 minutes ago, Freddy Fender said:

What is the point of you starting this thread other than than trying to bring down Dr. Halfords vaccine.

what about this sounds like I am trying to bring down the vaccine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RVX Patient and Investor

Maybe bc that's the agenda behind every post or question u make?

Good lord, u think people aren't hip to your act by now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wildman

Effective vs. gD2 subunit on several metrics. Would be interesting to see all of the data in more detail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SupermansJustice
3 hours ago, wildman said:

 

 

 

Effective vs. gD2 subunit on several metrics. Would be interesting to see all of the data in more detail.

Enlighten us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
undertsun

I'm curious to see how this time-lines will translate to humans! Is there any expert can talk us about how guinea pigs compare to humans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.