World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Wt060

Newly Diagnosed-Confused

Wt060

I am new to this and I am very confused and desperate for some type of answer or clarification. I have done a lot of research and not coming up with much. About 2 weeks ago I had developed a few spots on my genitals that I brushed off as ingrown hairs. As time went on they didn't get better, but worse and in other places, so I went to the Dr. I was also developing flu like symptoms (fever, lymph nodes swollen in groin and armpits, nausea etc). The NP that I saw took a look and said that it was herpes and is a primary infection. I figured that was the case. She gave me acyclovir and ordered some blood tests. The results came back as such: hsv1 igg: 3.85 (positive) hsv2 igg <0.91 (negative) HSV 1/2 combination test 1.42 (positive). I understand that genital herpes can be either hsv1 or 2. She insists that it is HSV2 and is a new infection due to the igM being positive and that I will later test positive for HSV2. Here is my dilemma...I have my been with my boyfriend for over 1 year and we have not had protected sex for that duration of time. He does have cold sores, a lot, but were careful to not have oral sex while he had an outbreak. I have never had a cold sore that I recall. I have never seen any indications of having herpes on his genitals. I have not been with any other person other than him in over 2 years. I do understand that igg antibodies can take a couple months to show up. Is it possible that he had HSV2 before I came along and that I just now contracted it, or is it more likely that he recently contracted it and gave it to me? I have confronted him but he says he hasn't cheated nor he has he had an std. I am really confused on how I would just now contract hsv2 from him after this long. Could I have contracted HSV1 genitally and just now showing symptoms even though I have already developed hsv1 antibodies? I would appreciate any clarification I can get.

Lisajd

Did the doctor actually do a PCR swab test of the blisters and type it or was it just purely a blood test.  IG M's are not entirely reliable but given that you have had a first outbreak and the IGM showing up positive it could be that it is a type 2 infection.  The igg for Type 1 showing up positive could indicate an existing oral infection that you've had as a child but cannot recall ever having a cold sore which is entirely common or you have an existing type 1 genital infection.   

I don't understand why the doctor didn't do a swab test because that is the most reliable test.   

It is possible that he has an existing hsv2 infection and has he ever been tested or not.  The virus is actually very unpredictable and theoretically if you have oral herpes you are less likely to get another strain on your genitals.   My suggestion is you just wait until you get another blood test for the igg.  Or alternatively get your boyfriend tested for hsv2.  

Wt060

She didn't do a swab, just a blood test. I don't know if he's been tested or not all he will say is he has never had an std. I just really can't grasp how it could have taken me a year to contract it if he already had it.

Japan

I have read that it can be quite common for someone not to pick up the virus for a long time, even in a long term relationship. Your immune system may have been stronger until recently. If I may ask, How is he responding to the news?

MoniqueLow

I don't understand why your doctor insists it's hsv 2 when test was negative. Take another test for sure and your boyfriend should too, it will clear up the situation. BTW You can get ghsv 1 from his ohsv even without outbrake, because such as hsv 2, hsv 1 can shed asymptomaticly. 

Wt060

She says because I have a slightly positive IgM that indicates a new infection and igg for hsv1 that is positive is from an old infection. This was my first outbreak..shes saying that my body couldn't have produced the hsv1 igg that quickly therefore I will have a positive hsv2 result in the future. It confuses me as well. 

He is saying that I've cheated on him and contracted something. But in reality, if I do in fact have hsv2, he never informed me and it would be from him (I have not cheated) and I think he's just trying to turn it on me so that he doesn't look guilty. I don't really know how we have been having unprotected sex for over a year and I'm just now contracting it. I wish I had answers.

MoniqueLow
1 hour ago, Wt060 said:

She says because I have a slightly positive IgM that indicates a new infection and igg for hsv1 that is positive is from an old infection. This was my first outbreak..shes saying that my body couldn't have produced the hsv1 igg that quickly therefore I will have a positive hsv2 result in the future. It confuses me as well. 

He is saying that I've cheated on him and contracted something. But in reality, if I do in fact have hsv2, he never informed me and it would be from him (I have not cheated) and I think he's just trying to turn it on me so that he doesn't look guilty. I don't really know how we have been having unprotected sex for over a year and I'm just now contracting it. I wish I had answers.

I had ghsv 1 outbrake 1.5 year after I contracted it (I know exactly when I got it and after that I am just with my hsv neg. partner). The initial outbreak can be delayed for years (even 10y, Google it and you'll find many stories). That would explain high igg. I don't say you are hsv 2 neg., but I don't like your doctor comes to fast conclusion. Blood test will tell you. Igm is not trustable at all (I don't actually understand why they report it on results). Please stop accusing each other with your partner till you both have your blood results in hand. IMO he should go for blood test right away, from his Igg you will see. And of course after recommended time you should go again too. 

Edited by MoniqueLow

Wt060

Thank you, that is very reassuring to me. I went for a second opinion and the NP said it appears I have hsv1 but to come back in 6ish weeks tobe sure.

WilsoInAus

There is incorrect information here.

You almost certainly will have had an oral HSV-1 infection from childhood. As such it is not at all probable you can be infected genitally.

The doctor is thus correct in the sense that if you have genital herpes then it will be HSV-2.

Has your partner tested for HSV-2?

Wt060

No. He won't. He's the type to just blame me. Can't look to him for help I'm on my own here.

Lisajd

The best thing you can do is just go and get another blood test in a few months time.   Or if you get another outbreak go to a doctor and make sure they swab it and type it.  In terms of the guy you are with maybe it's something you need to think about whether you want to be in this kind of relationship if he is going to blame you without any real facts