World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
lovelyhgirl

A guy I just started dating has found out he has herpes

lovelyhgirl

Hi! Recently a guy that I had just started dating got an outbreak and found out that he has herpes. We had been dating for a little less than a month and everything was great, I was really falling for him until he found out that he had herpes and decided to stop dating me. To give more context, we had sex before he found out, but after his diagnosis I took a test and came up negative, so neither of us passed it to the other. Anyway, he said that he was too depressed and shocked with the news to even think about getting in a relationship or keep dating me. I got very upset because at no point I had said I didn't want to date him because he had herpes, in fact I tried to be as supportive as I could and told him that I'd be happy to keep getting to know him and see where things go. So I'm very confused right now because I feel like maybe he was not sure about me or he was not very interested. But at the same time, I don't have herpes and I don't know how I would feel in his situation, so was trying to get your opinions, is it really possible to be so depressed with the news that you want to avoid contact with someone you were dating? do you think is true that he is very depressed? And is there anything I could do or just let him come back when he has accepted the news a bit better (he found out about a month ago)?

thanks!! 

AB.Girl

I don't think you should take it personally, most people when they find out they have herpes they need time to digest it. I know for me I denied it at first I just didn't want to believe it. And then when he found out you didn't have it he may of been thinking that he doesn't want to give it to you, I know if I passed it on I'd feel pretty awful about it. Maybe just reach outnto him as a friend and tell him you can't know exactly what he's going through but if he ever needs to talk about it with someone your there for him. He probably hadn't told anyone else so he most likely feel a pretty alone right now. 

West end gal

An HSV diagnosis can be very psychologically impactful...so do not take it personally. I would give him some time process and deal with it.....being supportive would definitely help 

Edited by West end gal

Lisajd

If I had a dollar for every person who thought there last was over because they had herpes I would be very wealthy.  There are also some people who a very adamant about not passing it to somebody else so the fact that you are negative may come into play in that regards.  Know when you say you got tested how many weeks was it after you have sex that you got tested because normally it takes up to 12 weeks for antibodies to develop.  If you have told him that you still want to proceed with him then you have done your bed but he probably just need time.  The main reason it have an impact on people is because of the stigma and many people really can't deal with that because they believe that they will be judged or rejected.  And he would be stupid to let you go if after a month you feel enough for him that you're willing to risk it so good for you

I would also try and encourage him to join us here

Nightmare7575

Like I was[still am] maybe he is in shock and needs some time ,but stay close and educate yourself like your doing and educate him . I think he is thinking he could have given it to you and that is a hard pill to swallow when your a good person and he does not want to risk that again.  When he does want to hang out again ,maybe give him a list of all the sexual things you can do together that are not risky  to you ,but are still fun and still give pleasure and start slow. 

Poisonflower

I died inside and didn't come out of my room for an entire year. I'd say yes this news can be crippling depressing. I lost a year of my life... but also how I got it was pretty bad. So I think how and from who matters

Blahdittilyblah

The initial shock of this diagnosis can be surreal. I know I didn't talk to my gifter much for a two weeks. She had no idea she had it.  I needed time to process my emotions and thoughts rationally and correctly. When I was certain I could talk to her to handle my emotions as well as all her emotions to come I did. I know how difficult it was to deal with telling someone who gave it to me, I can only imagine how difficult it is to tell someone you just started seeing this. Especially without feeling mortified. None of us want to give it to someone else and it's a deep internal struggle knowing you possibly could change someone's life forever too. Give him time, support, support, support. Don't pressure but if you really like him and care for him then you'll be patient and understanding best of luck. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I made it to month four without a visible sign of an outbreak. I had a really bad outbreak in the ending of April and was diagnosed with GHSV1. My initial outbreak took about a month to heal and left scars (a lighter pigmentation from my overall complexion on my genitals). Sadly I have been ridiculously paranoid to the point I have taken two 7 day treatments of Valtrex. More than likely it was probably just yeast infections (I get them way more than I should, even before getting hsv). I also take lysine twice a day and three times a day when I feel like an outbreak is coming on. I’ve been applying tea tree to my genitals everyday since getting diagnosed to dry out any potential outbreaks that are present that I possibly mistake for an ingrown hair. When does the worrying stop? How often have anyone on this forum with GHSV1 get outbreaks? What’s are some good tips and tricks?
    • Labscientist
      By Labscientist
      I had a fiance. He was actually the first guy I ever had to disclose to after my ghsv2 diagnosis. And he accepted me and it wasn't a big deal and we ended up not using protection and pretty much had a normal sex life except when I had my minor symptoms. But there were many times in the relationship that I knew I should have left him. But especially in the beginning I admit, I was desperate and was happy to have someone love me. Looking back, all the times he yelled at me or made me cry makes me so angry. Because I know that it was the fear of having to date again with hsv that kept me there. Finally I am free (sort of) of him. Now he is harassing my friends and family desperately trying to get me back ( he is mentally unstable and codependent) but he has now gotten to the point where he is telling my friends (via one of my friends boyfriends) that I gave him herpes. Which very well may not be true, by the way. But very inappropriate regardless. Also, he gave me HPV ( no symptoms just an abnormal pap) , but he also was telling people I gave him hpv. Ahh, just wonderful, my desperate lying asshole of an ex. 
      But, my point is, to anyone out there, do not stay with someone you shouldn't because they accepted your diagnosis. I am as happy and relieved as ever just to be away from his emotional vampirism. Is it a little scary thinking about future disclosure? Sure. But just remember you have a great personality to back you up and that is what matters. I know there will be a right person out there who will understand that the majority of the population has it. It's to the point where the differences between hsv1 and hsv2 are practically meaningless since they can happen in either mouth or genital and really anywhere on your body, so the statistic might as well be combined in saying that the majority of the WORLD population has either one or both. 
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I am new to the herpes world. I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 on May 17th. I was dating two guys at once (one I was sexually active with and someone else). The last person I had sex with, I am pretty sure he’s the one that gave it to me. I did disclose to all of my sex partners using text free because I was too embarrassed to reveal myself. But anyway, today I disclosed to the other guy I was seeing when I found out that I was gHSV-1 positive. We have been seeing one another one to two time a week and have planned basically our whole summer out. Even though he wanted to take it slow we are most definitely sexually attracted to one another and planned on having sex somewhere along the lines. This morning I decided to disclose via text that I have ghsv-1. I gave him some fact/transmission rates and have left everything in his hands. He’s currently at work and asked if it’ll be okay for him to call me when he gets off. Let’s see how this turns out. I am prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best. I will keep you guys posted.
  • Trending Now

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD?
    Get started with testing options here

• HerpesOrNot
      @DJwah curious about your results. anything you can share?
    • HerpesOrNot
      Thanks. Did you experience general discomfort when urinating for quite a while after the excruciating part was done, or was it instantly over after the week with antivirals? 
    • HerpesOrNot
      Thanks for the response.  I have been tested for HSV over and over for 5 months (IgM 1 time and IgG over 5 times) and been negative on everything, including a swab of a red rash and of an irritated urethral opening.  My very first symptom of anything was VERY painful urination that lasted about a day or two if I recall, followed a week or so later by a sore throat, chills, night sweats, and fatigue.  Things settled for maybe a few days, then came an extremely itchy anus/rectum with redness for weeks, itchy groin with no redness at all, then eventual red, itchy rash in groin and increase in redness on penile skin with mild itching. Never had a lesion or blister anywhere from what I've seen. Nothing seems to coincide with typical herpes, but herpes isn't always typical from what I've learned. Creams of all kinds from doctors are not helping at all.  I seem to have a new bug no one has ever come across (doubtful), or an atypical case of herpes or something similar. 
    • WilsoInAus
      No, Sebi was a fraud. This article is an interesting summary. https://www.thebody.com/article/dr-sebi-did-not-cure-hiv-nipsey-hussle-documentary If you’re basing the possibility of ‘cures’ on Sebi, I’ve got a car for sale that’s had one careful lady driver! Its simply fact that of the 40 billion people who have ever had HSV 1/2, not one eradicated it from their body.
    • Mr Fasting
      I'm amazed people do not think outside the box and to go to great efforts to reply to me saying "it's not curable" I simply cannot understand. If you truly believe Western Medicine and they say it's not curable then whatever they claim in the future you will live your life with their scientific proof. I simply have posted here to hear from like minded people who are juicing and doing colonics to see what their results are. People who have had cancer have cured it with a alternative lifestyle becoming vegan etc so if cancer is cureable who can't you open your mind and just think could hsv be curable? did you know Dr Sebi was taken to court because he claimed he cured someone with Aids? He turned up with 25 people who he cured of all illnesses and was let off. So please spare me your thought's of "It's not curable" as I will never belive that. Unless you have some experiences with juicing and colonics you wish to share then do not comment on this thread. Will no longer reply to closed minded sad people like yourselves.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.