World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Nej

Anti viral before potentially triggering activity?

Nej

I've seen some people say things like "I pop an antiviral before I get a bikini wax". Does taking an anti viral before a potentially OB triggering activity work? It's not something you have to take every day and build up in your system to work?

I was just diagnosed and I'm having my first outbreak. They gave me valtrex to take for 10 days . Not sure if I should ask for another script for days when I ride my bike or other things like that 

Edited by Nej

WilsoInAus

I think this depends on quite a number of issues. The main one being that antivirals would generally be required if your frequency of outbreaks was high. In which case you'd take it daily. 

Some people take them just as an outbreak comes on. This may have some benefit but in many cases, the horse has bolted so to speak.

If a person is confident that they know their triggers, then they may feel comfortable taking antivirals beforehand. However it is best to have taken this for at least three days for anywhere near an optimal impact.

Some couples agree to use antivirals as a measure to reduce transmission chances, in which case a daily dosage is required.

Type can play a role in your expectations of outbreak frequency, was type diagnosed for you?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Lucy29
      By Lucy29
      Hi everyone 
      I have had HSV2 since I was 18 nearly 29 now for the first 7 years I didn’t have any obs no prodomes basically forgot I had this virus near enough. I turned 25 and I started getting out  breaks almost monthly.

i started suppression in May 2016 acyclovir twice a day it seemed to work I haven’t had a single blister since starting however I started to get constant prodomes in my legs I’ve read up on the nerve pain and it doesn’t sound like the typical herpes nerve pain it’s just shooting pains and often goes to other areas apart from my legs. I also started getting a constant itch but I examined with a strong light and I couldn’t see anything no cuts no sores notning. 

Anyway I live in the UK but wanted to try vavyclvior it is very expensive they won’t prescribe it’s cost me £97 for a months worth but I couldn’t deal with the itch and shooting pains so I thought let me give   it a ago.

i have been taken 1 gram for the last week and nearly all my symptoms have completely gone and I was on my period which usually makes it worse. I am happy about this but im worried about keeping up the cost but more so the side effects. Is this dose safe ? I have googled a lot of things and read about physcosis from Valtrex depression etc I am very worried about this. I didn’t have any side effects from being on Aycivlior for nearly 2 years.. 

any advice is appreciated 

Thanks   

• Sara5222
      By Sara5222
      I just being diagnosed with hsv-1 (oral) and experience my first outbreak. What worry me is that i am on my early stage of pregnancy, is there any risk i transmit the virus to my baby in the uterus? Since I never had any outbreak before and this is the 1st time I've been tested positive with hsv-1. Anyone could help me deal with this, Im so worry, I really want to make sure my baby is delivered safe and healthy
    • EffieG
      By EffieG
      Approximately 5 years ago a  girl gave me a peck on the lips, I wiped my lips off.
      The next morning I woke up with a painful rash all over my top lip that dried up and resulted in chapped lips, where the skin died and regenerated. No pus or obvious cold sore.
      I have had this same outbreak approximately once a year in the same place except for this year where I have had it almost continuously, I have been very stressed.
      I went to the doctor who says it isn't cold sores (I have to wait 2 weeks for a blood test), however I have found someone ( To those with oral HSV2 only by Penumbra,)  who tested positive for HSV2 by blood test with my EXACT symptoms.
      Before an outbreak, my lip/nose area is tingling a lot and I feel a strong twitching in my lip.
      Is it possible that I have mild cold sores?
      I would greatly appreciate any help
    • Nicoli
      By Nicoli
      Anyone else feel like their cell phone and/or laptop is a trigger? My OBs were few and far between until about 10yrs ago. About the same time I transitioned from my desk top computer with a cable WiFi connection to my WiFi enabled laptop. It's also about the time I switched from my Blackberry to a smartphone where I began to spend lots of time surfing the web. Even now, if I wear my phone on my hip with the bluetooth and WiFi enabled for extended periods of time, I start to feel an ache in my HSV2 zone. My wife does not have this experience. Her only trigger is her period about twice a year. So I doubt this is terribly common. But I KNOW it's not my imagination.
    • Mapa
      By Mapa
      This is my second outbreak in more than four years apart from the first. Or at least that the symptoms are noticeable enough. The first time I was prescribed acyclovir but this time I was prescribed valacyclovir (generic for valtrex). I'm on my third pill and just developed a mild reddish rash not itchy in my forearms. Has anyone experienced something like this?
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • 2kroc
      Yes, just have sex wearing clothes and a condom, also don't kiss. No disclosure needed.
    • 2kroc
      Have sex  with at least one of you wearing clothes + a condom  next time, if you really want to protect him.
    • 2kroc
      All negative, Except for hepatitis B which is something you're vaccinated (They give you antibodies) against in the military. Before, I go through the trouble of re cropping another damn picture for you. I'd like to ask what your response will be if I show you the results and they're all negative?
    • 2kroc
      Universities receive most of their  funding from Pharma companies. Scientific studies aren't cheap, Pharmaceutical companies aren't going to fund research on food supplements when there's no pay off for them. It's naive to  think big businesses would fund research that'd directly decrease profit.  Then there's the possibility of the pharmaceutical companies bribing the government agencies from genuine health research, to keep themselves in business. https://thevaccinereaction.org/2018/04/big-pharma-pays-universities-for-most-medical-research-in-u-s-today/   Also, No one outside of the research community has the resources/contacts to prove they're cured. Even if they scored a negative on a western blot test/IGg, scrutinizers would just claim the virus was dormant or they never had it at all. Other than blood test, There is no easily accessible method to determine whether or not the virus is completely eradicated from your body.
    • WilsoInAus
      @2kroc where are the results of the three preceding tests?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.