World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Fighter27

Test came back positive from swab, but

Fighter27

The nurse failed to tell me which type. Is that odd? How will I know if it's one or two. I guess I need the blood test. When is a good time to take the blood test?

RayLynne

That's very odd. usually HSV1 effects the mouth and HSV2 effects the genitals but there are exceptions to that rule. I would get a blood test soon.

Fighter27

They swabbed my genitals so I'm sure if HSV-2 but it would be nice to know in terms of dating. In case....but I kept asking and they said it didn't say which type only that I had herpes. 

IAmHealingFromThis

Same thing happened to me last week. When I called about it my dr said it didn't really matter what type I had because the treatment is the same. I really chewed her out at that point and demanded a blood test to know which type I had. She said it would be a few more days and the lab would run that test as well then. I think it's rather important in terms of telling if a partner/past partner has the same virus too and where I might have gotten this from. Duh? I'm not sure why she didn't see that. Anyway, just ask for the test if you want to know. 

RayLynne

go ahead and get the blood test because it is possible to get HSV1 on genitals. either way, you should treat dating the same. Disclosing is the right thing to do regardless of which type, especially since it is genital. And treatment is the same. I take the same meds for my HSV2 that someone would take for cold sores. 

Fighter27

Luckily my bf and I are still together shocked by the news. We had a good cry together and we are here to support one another. 

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, IAmHealingFromThis said:

Same thing happened to me last week. When I called about it my dr said it didn't really matter what type I had because the treatment is the same. I really chewed her out at that point and demanded a blood test to know which type I had. She said it would be a few more days and the lab would run that test as well then. I think it's rather important in terms of telling if a partner/past partner has the same virus too and where I might have gotten this from. Duh? I'm not sure why she didn't see that. Anyway, just ask for the test if you want to know. 

This is such an important point.

Many cultures are simply not typed. A culture on its own cannot determine type, it just confirms HSV is present as it comes 'visible' on the plate after 2-4 days.

The doctor is right that the culture sample can only then be tested for type once it has 'grown' to an extent. The most common test to apply is an immunofluorescence test. This is basically drops of HSV-1 antibodies and HSV-2 antibodies with phosphate that activates upon binding. Whichever drops cause the brightest light determines type!

It is a great question for anyone to ask who has had a positive culture swab; "what was the specific type result from the immunofluorescence test?"