World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Angel Eyes

anyone taking antidepressants?

Angel Eyes

I am on wellbutrin xl.... have been for months now... i was diagnosed with situational depression and prescibed 150 mgs....well at first i felt like it was really working...then, all of a sudden it felt like it wasn't, i was depressed all the time, would cry myself to sleep, thought about suicide. well, so doc increases my dose to 300 mg, and my GOD I had headaches EVERYDAY , ALL DAY. It sucked! So I am back to the 150....

I find that the medication itself is great, I have no other side effects (other than the headache at the higher dose). I would recommend this medication to anyone....

but

does anyone know about any other meds? are you on any?

Caliope

I tried prozac and some others and they made me crazy. I know lots of people who've tried several over the years.

Honestly I decided to go the natural route after doing some research and I feel so much better. I even recommended this approach to a friend and he has been able to stop taking xanax without any withdrawal symptoms. (we read this would be next to impossible)

I'd first ask your dr about it but this is what I'm doing: fishoils, co-enzyme b complex, calcium/magnesium w/ vit.D, bragg amino's and Kelp. I've read about other natural stuff like Sam-E but haven't tried it.

Angel Eyes

thanks!

Yeah, I don't like taking meds for depression.... and they are sooooo expensive!!! Thank you for the tips

I'm gonna write down your suggestion and ask my doctor what he thinks

Caliope

Exercise helps a lot. If only I didn't have to work I'd be at the gym so much more. Actually late for work today because I got carried away and didn't notice I'd been there an extra hour.

Yes, you must wean yourself off of some antidepressants. Is citalopram the same as celexa? There are some blind studies going on with a natural alternative for it. Same results but almost no side effects.

They tried for years to get me to take antidepressants and finally after some especially trying times I finally agreed to try prozac. The crazy thing was that I couldn't sleep and I was losing weight and the prozac was supposed to help this, but made it worse instead, so I just quit one day. Never said a word to the dr and they never even followed up to find out why. It's been 2 years now and I'm doing better all the time.

Annika
I am on wellbutrin xl.... have been for months now... i was diagnosed with situational depression and prescibed 150 mgs....well at first i felt like it was really working...then, all of a sudden it felt like it wasn't, i was depressed all the time, would cry myself to sleep, thought about suicide. well, so doc increases my dose to 300 mg, and my GOD I had headaches EVERYDAY , ALL DAY. It sucked! So I am back to the 150....

I find that the medication itself is great, I have no other side effects (other than the headache at the higher dose). I would recommend this medication to anyone....

but

I've been off and on depression meds for a long time now. But basically I have to be on them probably for the rest of my life. As for different types there are many and everyone reacts to them differently. I've been on prozac 2 different times in my life and had different reactions. Wellbutrin affects dopamine, but most of the others are SRI's which deal with seretonin. I'm on a combination of wellbutrin and prozac, possibly you may just need help with seretonin and not dopamine or both. Definitely tlak to your doctor (psychiatrist?) and find out what your options are.

Claudia

Over decade ago I took zoloft for depression. I took it for a couple years. It was inconclusive if it helped me or not.

Recently I have experienced a tremendous amount of stress and started on St. John's Wort. I've been taking the bottle-recommended dose (1400 mg daily) for over a month and have noticed a significant difference. I have read that while studies of SJW show improvement in cases of mild depression, it is ineffective for major depression. Mixing it with perscription antidepressants is a big no-no.

herpbot

I'm on Prozac 40mg, Welbutrin 150 and I'm feeling fine. I was severely depressed and diagnosed with severe depressive disorder. I know for a while I struggled with taking the medication and alot of poeple do, but it has helped my life so much. I would only suggest talk therapy as well. It has helped me alot, coupled with the medication.

justagirl

I'm on anti-depressants for life, which in no way relates to having found out I have H. Genetics can be a real bitch sometimes.

I've taken a few things but I found a fairly low dose of Prozac helped a lot.

Mulatta

i take paxil, was taking lexapro, but felt it wasn't helping. doesn't seem like the paxil is helping much either. well not sure, only been taking it for 2 weeks.

1hopnot

I was wondering about asking my doctor for something. Because this is taking a bit of a toll on me. I think about it 90% of the day everyday. Even though Ive been diagnosed for almost a week. But sometimes I do have bad thoughts and I feel some anxiety. Some of my friends dont know and they think I have OCD because they say too many little things bother me. You know like if I wanted to move my tv I would think about it the whole day. I never noticed it but I think Im just bothered and sad right now so I need something else to consume my mind besiddes the fact that my guy wants a break to focus on other things while I sit here alone and try to deal with this by myself which hurts. I dont know if I should take anything or not

Caliope

or you may want to consider getting some nice co-enzyme b complex and calcium/magnesium they can be helpful in dealing with stress and less side effects.

honestly you'd might even feel better if you go and spoil yourself somehow. a new pair of shoes, a manicure or pedicure or maybe a trip out with the girls just to do something low key like a movie. Something good for the heart.

I wish I could you help more. :)

tohealth
i take paxil, was taking lexapro, but felt it wasn't helping. doesn't seem like the paxil is helping much either. well not sure, only been taking it for 2 weeks.

With your fine self...

tohealth
honestly you'd might even feel better if you go and spoil yourself somehow. a new pair of shoes...

Ohgodyes...

tohealth

but

My doctor who was really not gung ho on drugs prescribed Wellbutrin at one time. Seemed to raise my libido which wasn't a problem but it seemed odd since you hear most drugs doing the opposite. Suppose it was fine except I eventually realized that it was thinning my hair. That was it. I stopped cold and was relieved that my hair responded so fast. Guess vanity has its place...But I'm all for whatever works to whatever degrees. I think sometimes these drugs can work like jumpstarters if you get lulled into a lower energy profile somehow...and you don't necessarily return to that low profile once off, thankfully. People have to figure out what works for them. And be open to any changes in what works over time.

Jewel_07

paxil

I take [paxil and it helps me tremendously.If its only been 2 weeks then it hasnt been in your body long enough for you to see a major change.You will start to fell a difference in 6 to 8 weeks.Good luck!You'll be fine....

Angel Eyes

omg, my hair is thinning too!

i have been on wellbutrin for a little less than a year, and when I read your post, Tohealth, it hit me.... my hair has been thinning too!!! I just thought this was happening b/c I am getting older

SHIT I need to get off this. I don't think I have to take it anyway.... I have accepted the H