World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
howardsmith8888

Intermittent Valtrex

howardsmith8888

Has anyone tried Valtrex dosing once a week, once a month, or anything other than once a day in an effort to prevent recurrences? Please advise if you've had any success.  Thank you.

Evaluate

Do you mean taking one dose in an entire week/month?

It sounds like you're asking a question about suppressive therapy, except not wanting to take it daily.  The half life of Valtrex isn't that great, I can't remember the amount of time off the top of my head but I'm fairly confident it's out of your system in less than 24 hours.

howardsmith8888

@Evaluate  Thank you for your response.  Yes, I am referring to suppressive therapy, but would prefer to avoid the potential long term side effects from taking a daily Valtrex pill. I was curious to know if taking one pill every few days or one pill per week has also benefited individuals versus the standard 1 pill per day.  Obviously, an antiviral is different, but certain antibiotics can last in your system for days after you've completed the prescription.  i.e. Z-Pac.  If your previous comment above is accurate and that it only lasts about 24 hours, then I would imagine 1 pill per week isn't going to be sufficient.

Evaluate

I'm not a doctor or scientist, but to the best of my knowledge what you are asking would not be effective.  Antivirals work by causing errors within newly formed viral DNA.  It would require a constant amount of of the medication to regularly cause these errors in DNA formation, thereby reducing shedding/outbreaks.

What exactly are you worried about, transmission or getting another outbreak?

Additionally, there are different types of antivirals.  Depending on the person, some find certain ones more tolerable.

howardsmith8888

@Evaluate  Being 9 months in and already ten plus outbreaks deep, I'm currently more concerned with the next outbreak, but of course - I'll be concerned with both transmission as well as obs in the future.  After changing the diet in addition to what seems to having a vitamin pharmacy on my counter, it would appear my only remaining option is daily suppression via an antiviral.  The concern is the taxation of the kidneys, liver and any other potential long term side effect that may come from the use of these drugs....that being said - after 3 obs in July, I'm throwing up with the white flag and taking the daily pill.  Any further thoughts are much appreciated.  Thank you again.

Lisajd

My understanding of the antivirals is that unless you have an existing kidney issue there are no long term side effects and it came from Terri Warren who is an expert with HSV

ACE2002
1 hour ago, Lisajd said:

My understanding of the antivirals is that unless you have an existing kidney issue there are no long term side effects and it came from Terri Warren who is an expert with HSV

Valtrex and any drug man made is bad for you. The government use to say that milk was good for your bones, it's not. They also used to say that herpes caused cancer, it doesn't. They now say that HPV causes cancer, so............

Edited by ACE2002

Evaluate

Valtrex is well studied medication that has been around for quite some time now.  While side effects may be an issue for some, the use of it alone will not damage kidneys unless there is a preexisting condition at play, someone is taking a very strong dose, or takes another medication/substance at the same time which taxes the liver.

These discussions are best had with your GP, who can discuss your history and help come up with a plan.

brookeb300

I wanted to try this but havent yet.  i think a dose of valtrex for a few days once a month would work really well instead of daily.  i can't handle it daily.