Disease- punishment from God?

For those that believe in God, do you believe disease is inflicted upon certain people as punishment for wrongdoings/sins?

I think I remember disease being used as punishment in the Bible, as well as being used for testing of one's faith.

In any event, I was a very healthy woman. I have great genes, great body, great health, and I ate only organic food and I drank only water. I also was with my sex partner for 8 years. I was very careful about avoiding disease.

Yet, I got late-stage Lyme disease and then as soon as I was able to walk around and run- I got type 1 herpes from my bfs cold sore. It seems very unfair. I know a lot of unhealthy people- who eat trans fat, are chunky, who have bad genes, and so on- and they are all better off then me now. It is very unfair. I always knew abotu Lyme disease and PURPOSELY avoided tall grass. Yet, I got it from walking my parents' dog. I ALWAYS knew about cold sores and avoided people when they had one. YET, I get ghsv1.

I feel I made all the right decisions. I was very prudent, yet I suffered the same cosnequence as people who make poor choices. It is very unfair. I don't think I should have nerve and joint problems due to Lyme- people who camp and hike should! I do not feel I should have ghsv1- people who have sex outside of a monogamus relationship should.

So, I think God is punishing me. It all makes sense. I think I am being punished for being prideful or something. :| Or maybe God is doing this so my life isn't as great. At one point, things were going exceedingly well for me. I think this is a way of making me low. I have lost many things due to diseases I was at low-risk for. I lost a graduate degree (had to drop out after being told I had MS or cancer), high-paying job, many fun travel opportunities, lots of $$, and so on. I know I should be grateful at least the MS and cancer was negative and it ended up being Lyme, but I just feel like I have had enough lately. I was also assaulted by four african american women at the mall because I accidently dropped ketchup on one of their shoes. This was at a very expensive mall in a very nice area where politicans live. The girls were not from the area. Anyway, the list just goes on and on of bad things that have happened to me that are very odd and rare. I mean these things are exceedingly rare, yet they happen to me. The security guards said something like that NEVER happened at that location before. Also, my risk for Lyme was very low. Also, I find it odd that I am in a monogamous, faithful relationship , where neither of us EVER had any type of std (not even hpv!) and I end up with cold sores down below. I got a std from someone that doesnt have a std! Argh. That is why I do not even consider hsv1 a std.

ANYWAY-

Do u think you are being punished by your disease? I do. I hope God stops throwing the lightening at me because I am becoming worn out. :)

My personal view is sometimes, shit happens and god ain't got crap to do with it.

Agreed, but I also don't believe in god...

I told myself I would always avoid this forum area just because..religion when you don't believe in it, can spark many many heated debates.

In my opinion, if there was a 'god', he wouldn't have these 'tests' and 'obsicals' for us to get around...I'm not talking about day to day life. I'm talking about kids with cancer, and people whom decive others but their lives are never effected by their lies.

I've become a stronger person, because of the way I was;

A; Raised

B; Experiences with bad or good people

C; Because I forced myself to go on.

Nothing has ever been accomplished or not accomplished without me having a choice in the matter.

Yes when I first got the disease, I liked to think that there was someone watching over me and protecting me. I realized I was just looking for something to have faith in other than myself anymore because I was disgusted with myself for catching something from someone whom I thought I could trust.

Bottomline, shit happens.

Ticks are nondiscriminatory and opportunistic. They see food passing by and they go for it. They really couldn't care less whether you're camping or walking your parents' dog. Food is food. And if it happens to be you passing by... you're it.

Herpes is much the same. Whether you're in a monogamous relationship or not, if the opportunity arises for the virus to spread, it will. And happy to do it, too. If you're partner gets cold sores, it should come as no surprise that you got the virus. The law of averages says that eventually you would. Cold sores or genital ob's, it's all the same to them. The little buggers don't care what neighborhood they move into, as long as they move.

Don't feel as if you're being punished. If there is a God, he's not that interested in us as individuals. Shit happens to everyone, and you're no exception. We all have our stories. Mine would curl your hair. ;) Look at it this way... if it wasn't for the roller coaster, the amusement park would seem pretty damn dull, now wouldn't it?

I guess I have a daoist view of God according to a friend. I'm not sure what that means but here goes:

In our human capacity we have our mind, body and soul. We are able to feel all kinds of emotions and think all manner of thoughts.

Why would we be isolated to only experiencing happiness or sadness when we can feel so much more? I think God experiences humanity through our experiences. Sometimes our experiences are good and sometime not but they are all as unique as each one of us.

If God created all living things why would he descrimate against any one in favor of another? the virus, the bacteria, the plant, the animal, the different genders, the different races, the different religions?

I don't believe anyone is being punished I think we are here to live our lives and in this we glorify the creator, regardless of the name you put on them or the way you address them. I also believe that if God loves all of his creations, it means he loves "ALL" of us exactly as we are.

Live your life to the fullest. Make your dreams come true. Be brave and don't let anyone talk you out of following your heart.

once again Caliope, excellent!!

And Anon, I don't believe you are being punished for something via herpes, nor lyme disease. Sometimes we just roll the dice and come up with snake eyes. But I truly truly TRULY do not believe that this is some sort of punishment meted out by a higher power. Although, when in the midst of the illness or herpes outbreak, I know it feels like it!!

Continure taking care of yourself and eating well. Your immune system will kick in and fight the herpes virus. I am more concerned about the Lyme disease. I have had friends who have had this and I know how debilitating it can be. Is there anything that you can take or do that helps you with the lyme disease??

I don't believe any of us are being punished for anything with this. We're not God's experiment or ant farm. We have our freewill and things happen, as someone said above.

Being punished by God through herpes (to me) holds about as much water as a football team having a prayer for victory before the game. Ok, weird analogy but someone out there might get it.

I believe our destination is mapped out for us how we get to it is down to us,God can't change the events that happens of our own accord, but can give us the strength to see it through.

We only learn through adversity which i find so true, if life was good all the time would we learn any life lessons?????

I don't believe any of us are being punished for anything with this. We're not God's experiment or ant farm. We have our freewill and things happen, as someone said above.

Being punished by God through herpes (to me) holds about as much water as a football team having a prayer for victory before the game. Ok, weird analogy but someone out there might get it.

I totally get it.

And I always crack up when various musicians win awards and thank "my lord and savior and baby Jesus and God....." Because honestly, do you think GOD really gives a fart whether or not you just won your little cheap statuette for some silly award?? It is just so ...tacky. While I am sure GOD loves for us to sing praises to him and make beautiful music or art....he doesn't care that we go to the Oscars or Grammys and thank him for our win.

Same with people who PRAY to win money.....what the hell?? Pray to win the Lottery or PRAY that slot machine is going to pay out!

I think GOD has bigger things on her plate....and it ain't got nothin' to do with winning money, winning football games or winning awards at lame ass events.

And I don't think GOD is punishing us for our sore nether regions either. ;-)

I used to believe everything happened by chance. I also believed and still kind of believe that God (creator-supernatural being) would not be concerned with one mere creation such as myself. :) I mean there are how many people in the world?!!?

It just seems that several odd, strange bad things have happened to me lately- all physical/medical. I did not even list them all. Also, they are all very rare. It is odd because it all happened after a prayer. I will get into that later, but first let me explain how odd the situation is... I lived in the dorms and then in the city. Yet, I got Lyme when at my parents house and it was misdiagnosed at contact dermatitis. Also, I got the weird Lyme where the initial rash is overlooked and then it affects your CNS. I mean I was told I had MS. Then I was told no I don't, I probably had cancer and I was tested for leukemia and lymphoma. This wasn't like a red bite and a couple weeks of antibiotic Lyme- this was a weird, bad Lyme situation. It affected my heart, bones, muscles, tendons, brain, spinal cord, eyes, ears, and mind. Then I had/have to deal with the whole Lyme contreversy(sp) and how some Drs would not treat me. They were afraid of getting in trouble, yet I was told if it was them- they would get Iv treatment and then do oral treatment for years! It was/is a bad situation.

As for hsv1, my bf never got a typical cold sore. He gets one tiny painless blister, the size of a pencil top on his inner lip every few years. He was more of a carrier of hsv1 than someone who gets those big sores. Plus, I ALWAYS wash afterwards, but this one time, he told me not to and to watch tv with him instead. He actually begged me not to bathe/shower so I didn't- for the first time. It just seems odd that all these things had to happen in order for me to get hsv1: I had to be on IV antibiotics; got my first yeast infection; oral sex without washing, and so on. I had protective antibodies too (no cold sores though- I was a asymptomatic oral hsv1 person). I mean the only way I could have gotten it was to have an active sore, broken skin, and not to wash and I all did all freaking 3! :| If I could have at least washed or not have had actual broken/raw skin I may have been fine. I mean I was with him for 8 years and it was never a problem. It was never a problem with his prior partners either. I don't think this was likely to happen. I had to really set myself up good to get infected. It is just very unlikely that I got it. All of my Drs agree too.

I just start to wonder of there is a reason or purpose for it all. I think maybe it helps me to less superficial or maybe more empathetic. Also, and this is why I find it especially odd, it all started not too long after I prayed this prayer. NOW, I am not religious, although I wanted to be at one point in my life. I only pray maybe once every two years or once a year. Since I am anon I am going to share the prayer I said.

I don't remember verbatim but it was something like I prayed God would do whatever it takes, no matter how severe, to save my soul/spirit. So essentially I was asking God to do something severe to affect my life and make me more spiritual I guess. Anyway, I specifically remember praying the "no matter how severe part" and saying it with passion :( This probably means nothing but then I joined a Bible group and the book the woman picked out was Job. No joke. lol Then I kid you not, right after we started reading Job, I began to experience late-stage Lyme symptoms and my whole health nightmare began. Anyway, I purposely withdrew from religious things during my health struggles because I felt paralyzed from all the health problems. In any event, this probably doesn't mean anything and is probably just my brain's way of making connections where none exist. But, I can't help but think God might be punishing me or forcing me somewhere I might have not otherwise went.

As for the Lyme, I am much better, but I still struggle daily. I can walk as much as I want now (before I limped and it hurt to take two steps and I could not use stairs) and I am no longer in real pain. I can sleep throughout the night. My nerve pain has decreased dramatically but I still struggle with polyneuropathy on a daily basis when I am not on antibiotics. Once I go off antibiotics for a few weeks, the paresthesia creeps back up on me. I have it everywhere, but I am so thankful that it is so much better now. I look normal and healthy though; you can't tell by looking at me that I have nerve damage, CNS problems, and joint/tendon problems. I probably need more antibiotic treatment but I am getting tired of all the pills. I did IV therapy once and that helped the most dramatically.

Hmmm well the consensus seems to be that God does not punish people with disease then... Thanks for your interesting, thoughtful responses. If i am not being punished, maybe I am just having a run of bad luck! :) Btw, I have recently prayed to God that I did not mean my prior prayer about the "no matter how severe part" LOL

Christians/Jews: In general though, Christians/Jews believe God sometimes uses disease as punishment right? I remember reading some examples in the Tanach/Old Testament and in the New Testament/Christian Bible of such.

I sometimes feel like God is testing my judgement...and wanting to see if I will make changes for my life now. It scares me to think about it really...what if this is a red flag and God is telling me to straighten up or next time it will be worse??

angelbabi - if that is true what are you going to do differently?

sometimes I make my decisions by considering to myself - what will I feel about this choice six months or a year from now? Especially when it comes to credit cards. (Do I want to be paying for something I don't really like all that much several years down the line and with interest added on?)

Or when it comes to relationships "do I want to be with someone for the wrong reasons or am I okay to be alone for the right reasons." It has saved me a lot of grief over the past 5 years to have this standard and if there is a God then I know they are pleased with my choices.

Boy - I didn't want to touch this subject but where else better to share my feelings, right?

I was sexaully abused by my biological father for many years as a child so so believed in god until one day when I realized all of this was wrong and vey wrong. I went through hell with my dad going to jail, going through a trial, being in a group home, then in foster care. My mother remarried and her husband could not grasp all of what was happening and just expected me to just put all of this behind me so I could not bear to live with my mother at this time. For years I asked god why he did this to me and he never answered me so I stopped believing. After I turned 18 I moved alone with nothing from the East Coast to the West Coast where I chose to begin a new life, my life. It was only a few years ago that I started to think maybe I should give god another chance and I started to "try" to believe in something - then WHAM! GENITAL HERPES - I do not blame god for all of this but shit, I need a break here. How strong can one person be? Just sad to know that I will never believe as I have been hit pretty hard for most of my life. Not sure I could endure another major set back - I will not move again, although at the time it was best to move away. I have fallen down, got back up and brushed the dirt off me yet once again. I have come so far in my life to let this or anything else get me down. I am 40 now - Only thing different is that I am much stronger this time - I will be ok but I will never believe and I am sad because of that and not sure I will ever even come close to trying to believe again - hope you all are doing well -

Brookie, your post made me feel so sad, i am so sorry you have had to go through all of this, i am not just saying this, i really am saddened by what some have to go through.

I am not religious at all, but am a firm believer in spiritualism, i haven't had an easy life at all, many many obstacles along the way,

I have to believe, something, someone gave me the courage to carry on with life, so many times i have wanted to throw the towel in.

I am still here, wiser, older and still have faith in the future.

Sometimes we can't explain what/who carries us at a time of stress, but i know for sure something/someone carried me.

• 1 month later...

your right!

Anon i was brought up with the same beliefs, and i used to avoid scumy situations, in order to avoid disease like herpes. unfortunately i started to get dragged down into the shit,by taking stupid risks thinking i was above it. eventually i started to suffer with depression due to anxiety attacks,then the light went out and the grey cloud came. eventually people started to avoid me and i started to get no pleasure out of life. in order to get some pleasure out of the bit i had i slept with a couple of girls, who in the right frame of mind would never of even looked at and devolped herpes down stairs. it is only now that i am starting to recover from my depression and starting to except what i have got. i used to suffer with 15 outbreaks a year when i was low but as i am starting to come from under the cloud i suffer about 4 a year. hopefully when i am feeling the way i used to i will not suffer with any.what i am saying is it sounds like you have lost your confidence and are feeling low, you are right something like this shouldnt have happened to you! you tried to avoid it! what you have to do is except you have it regain your self esteem and confidence, get on top of it and try like before to avoid it reappearing. good luck. keep your standards. shit dosen't happen either. you and other people make it happen. sorry about punctuation and spelling.bye mark

• 8 months later...

Ok, I know I'm about a year late in responding to this, but i just found this Thread and couldn't help but to reply to it. I hope you receive it.

Anon you said, " I don't remember verbatim but it was something like I prayed God would do whatever it takes, no matter how severe, to save my soul/spirit. So essentially I was asking God to do something severe to affect my life and make me more spiritual I guess. Anyway, I specifically remember praying the "no matter how severe part" and saying it with passion :( This probably means nothing but then I joined a Bible group and the book the woman picked out was Job. No joke. lol Then I kid you not, right after we started reading Job, I began to experience late-stage Lyme symptoms and my whole health nightmare began. Anyway, I purposely withdrew from religious things during my health struggles because I felt paralyzed from all the health problems. In any event, this probably doesn't mean anything and is probably just my brain's way of making connections where none exist. But, I can't help but think God might be punishing me or forcing me somewhere I might have not otherwise went."

This may sound crazy to you, but have you ever considered the fact that maybe God was answering your prayer? Your prayer was for Him to do Whatever it took to save your soul. I can't speak for God, but sometimes when we go through different test and trials in life and it is a test of our faith. Maybe He wanted to see if you would trust Him through this time or turn your back on Him. There is not testimony without a test. You said your group was studying Job at the time. Do you know what happened in the end? After Job lost everything, he got it back double for all of his trouble. God was/is trying to speak to you through that situation. It's obvious you were seeking a relationship with Him, so I am praying that you become sensitive to the Holy Spirit. If you want to learn more about Him feel free to contact me.

God blew it

I cringe when I hear people say that herpes is punishment from God. Let's look at this realistically.

80% of the Western world would test positive for herpes right now. Less than 10% of that group is aware that they have it, nor will they ever be aware. How is that punishment?

Do you think God was saying to himself. "I know what I'll do, I'll use a 140 million year old virus that infects everything from horses, birds, mice, flys and even earthworms to punish those who are engaging in that evil, nasty, forbidden act of having sex. Oh, and most of them will never know they're are being punished. On top of that, to further punish in secret, I'll allow this virus to be passed to innocent children from a kiss on the cheek from an Aunt or Uncle or anyone who doesn't know and will never know they have it. Why not torment children too?"

Herpes is an organism of opportunity and its just one of thousands of viruses and bacteria that homestead in our bodies. The only reason why we have a stigma about herpes is because we have a lot of hang ups about sex in this country.

Listen up...herpes is just a skin condition. There is a big argument going on right now about whether or not herpes is actually a disease at all. It's a non-chronic viral skin condition. Not only that, but it's rather easy to control once you have the correct diet and lifestyle. What kind of punishment can be eliminated by diet, exercise, and relaxation?

The only punishment that's going on is you punishing yourself for doing something that your internal moral compass says was wrong. There are a lot of things that you could have done that would leave you worse off than having herpes. Engaging in something as wonderful and beautiful as sex is nothing to be ashamed of.

So if herpes is punishment from God, I would say he didn't do a very good job.

Oh, come on AArmstrong, I have cramps today and you are always making me laugh.:-D

I agree with you 100%. But there are people overwhelmed by stigma and need some time to process and accept those messages. And whatever you got in your childhood it's harder to replace with new messages. They just need some work to do which is not easy. :???:

I just hope that self preservation will win and people will fight stigma and see it as a stupid thing, which makes them miserable without a reason.

I cringe when I hear people say that herpes is punishment from God. Let's look at this realistically.

80% of the Western world would test positive for herpes right now. Less than 10% of that group is aware that they have it, nor will they ever be aware. How is that punishment?

Do you think God was saying to himself. "I know what I'll do, I'll use a 140 million year old virus that infects everything from horses, birds, mice, flys and even earthworms to punish those who are engaging in that evil, nasty, forbidden act of having sex. Oh, and most of them will never know they're are being punished. On top of that, to further punish in secret, I'll allow this virus to be passed to innocent children from a kiss on the cheek from an Aunt or Uncle or anyone who doesn't know and will never know they have it. Why not torment children too?"

Herpes is an organism of opportunity and its just one of thousands of viruses and bacteria that homestead in our bodies. The only reason why we have a stigma about herpes is because we have a lot of hang ups about sex in this country.

Listen up...herpes is just a skin condition. There is a big argument going on right now about whether or not herpes is actually a disease at all. It's a non-chronic viral skin condition. Not only that, but it's rather easy to control once you have the correct diet and lifestyle. What kind of punishment can be eliminated by diet, exercise, and relaxation?

The only punishment that's going on is you punishing yourself for doing something that your internal moral compass says was wrong. There are a lot of things that you could have done that would leave you worse off than having herpes. Engaging in something as wonderful and beautiful as sex is nothing to be ashamed of.

So if herpes is punishment from God, I would say he didn't do a very good job.

excellent EXCELLENT points AArmstrong!!

The only thing I Will differ with you is that we have to also be realistic in that herpes IS contagious. We CAN pass it onto another person. So we MUST be responsible (as you mentioned, I am just driving home the point. ;-) ) and use basic common sense when it comes to herpes. So I wouldn't categorize it as merely a "skin condition". Acne is a skin condition. I have eczema. It is a skin condition. But I can go up and hug you, your kids, your family, your friends and they are not going to "catch" eczema from me.

So therein lies the difference. I do not like to be so flip as to call it a "skin condition".

But you are right that it shouldn't be made into the "monster" that it is.

And I sure as heck don't think that busy old GOD is punishing people for having sex via herpes!!! I think GOD has bigger issues on his/her formidable plate. And if GOD was so against sex, he wouldn't have given us wonderful penises and clitorises full of nerve endings to enjoy it so. ;-)

If I were to believe God was "punishing us" , I would look at other things, like world-wide famine, hurricanes galore, tsunamis, earthquakes...GOD might be weeding out the population at this point. To belittle GOD and say s/he is going to punish us with stupid lil ole herpes, when s/he can do things on a MUCH LARGER and much more GRAND scale...is insulting to GOD!!!

;-)

OUCH,

What is anybody going to get from you, when you hug them?

You can always hug me. I don't think you can infect anybody

just by hugging. ARE YOU A WALKING BIG BLISTER?;)

LOTS OF HUGS FROM ME.

OUCH,

What is anybody going to get from you, when you hug them?

You can always hug me. I don't think you can infect anybody

just by hugging. ARE YOU A WALKING BIG BLISTER?;)

LOTS OF HUGS FROM ME.

hahaha no, no walking blisters! one big blister bubble! (although in the past, there were days I FELT like one...a walking blister! hahahaha!)

Nope, I get eczema on my neck and the inside of my arms. Not so much now that I am older and know how to deal with it. REally bad as a kid and teen. BUT...at least if I were to hug you while my eczema was acting up, you can NOT catch it.

That is what I mean by a "skin condition." Herpes is a little bit more...simply because it IS contagious. Things like eczema and psoraisis (thank GOD i do not have that and my deepest sympathy for those who do!) and acne are examples of "skin conditions" and they are not contagious. That is all. ;-)

And I will hug YOU any time!! You are the best!!! Itchy skin or no!! ;-)

No worries

Your ex seems like a real winner. Well, first off I can tell you as a licenced medical practitioner the law is on your side at the pharmacy, pharmacists cannot talk about patients, or their medical dilemmas... that's just the law. now that doesn't mean a pharmacist will not judge you, but, like my grandmother from the Bronx says "opinions are like A**holes, everyones got one." As far as your ex is concerned I'm pretty sure if him and his friends want to keep up "Gods work" they might find themselves in jail or paying a large sum of money for emotional trauma due to harassment or slander they do not have access to your medical files and as far as anyone knows they are just making it up. I would call an attorney if you haven't done so already. oh, and by the way, if they are so into god they will understand that they will be judged for their actions here on earth. I'm sure god is reserving a warm place in hell for them. Good luck, and be proud of who you are.