World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Kev003

My story

Kev003

July 2011, my ex-wife and I separated.  Met someone later that month and we began a sexual relationship mid-August.  About 2 weeks later I noticed a single blister on my testicle.  Researched and knew there was a good chance it was HSV-2, but held out hope that it wasn't.  The coincidence was too much though, 2 weeks after having sex with a new partner set off alarms in my head.  

About a week later I had a 2nd OB, this time with many blisters and I knew then for sure.  The first few months were hard, dealing with common (sometimes back-to-back) OBs, dealing with knowing this will never go away.  All of you can relate.  

My partner said she didn't know, she never had any OBs or symptoms.  I believed her, and still do.  After knowing her, she does have occasional OBs near her lip (maybe 1 a year), but she relates it to a cold/cold sore, not herpes.  Pretty sure that is her symptom, but she doesn't realize/accept it.  

Over the years my symptoms have been fairly consistent.  Usually about a month to a month and a half between OBs.  Occasionally 2 months.  I think once I went 3.  The OBs start with a dull ache in my testicles and penis.  Not really painful, maybe a 2 on a 1-10 scale.  The ache last about a day, then 2 days later I will notice blister(s). Sometimes 1 or 2.  Sometimes 5-10.  THe small OBs take about a week to heal from the day I first see the blisters.  The larger OBs about 9-10 days.  

I used to keep a log.  Recorded date started, healed, and severity of OB.  Stopped that a few years back.  I think I'll start it back up.  

***I'll continue later when I have more time***

Kev003

One thing about my OBs, they started on my testicles and the first two years or so they were strictly on my testicles, but near the base of my penis.  Over time the OBs moved, first to the left side of my penis, then the bottom, and now starting to move to the right. They never return to where they've been, at least so far.  Maybe when the blisters break the fluid touches other areas and that's why?  That's my guess.  When I have OBs the blisters are rarely painful, just some mild itching sometimes.  The only pain was once or twice before they scabbed, when it was moist and I was sleeping it dried to my underwear.  

I've never told anyone (until yesterday on this site) about having HSV-2 except my "giver".  Just learned the term giver yesterday when I found this forum.  I know it's fairly common, but it would be really hard for me to tell anyone.  Even a Dr.  Seeing a Dr about it wouldn't be so bad I guess, but not only do you have to tell the Dr,, but also the person on the phone when you make the appointment, then the clerk when you check in at the desk and they always ask what you're there to see the Dr for, then again when you get called back by the nurse to take your vitals.  I'm not ready to deal with that yet.  If the symptoms get worse though I guess I'll eventually have to. 

I haven't noticed any "trigger foods" yet, as I've seen some report here, but haven't really adjusted my diet in an attempt to suppress it.  

Present day I'm coping ok.  Sure, it sucks having this, but it's not the end of the world.  I'm currently looking into ways to reduce the outbreaks and just started taking Lysime.  Trying 1000 mg in the morning and evening (2000 mg total) and reducing my arginine intake.  Hope it helps.  If I can cut the OB occurrences in half I will be happy.

So, that's my story.  It's kind of nice to find this forum and get this all out, even of it's with strangers that I never met and will never meet.  I just started Lysime yesterday, so I'll be sure to report back in a few months and share the results.

Lisajd

Thank you for your story and welcome to the site but it is important to go and get tested and the reality is you just make an appointment to see a doctor you don't have to explain why.  You need to igg blood test.  Better to know which strain you have because then you can understand how to manage it and had to have that discussion with someone when you meet them because you need to understand the risks

WilsoInAus

I think it would be well worthwhile obtaining a blood test and having another doctor take a look and help with your symptoms. 

I'd be concerned about the ache in the testicles, herpes does not typically infect the nerve tranche that feeds into the testicles.

Rose_

You can always just tell them you want to get an STI screening on the phone then when you see the doctor you can explain your symptoms. 

Kev003

I started taking Lysime back in Sep 2017.  2000mg/day.  Results: Mixed.  

When I first started I thought I was on to something, I went almost 2 months until the next OB.  Then I had 3 OBs with only 10 days between them.  From there it has seemed to go back to the normal schedule of around 30 days between OBs.  One thing of note: at least 3 of the OBs were directly after a day of missing a Lysime dose.  

3 of the OBs healed much faster than normal.  That was something that never happened before, it was always at least 6-7 days, and since Sep 3 times during small OBs it took only 2-3 days to heal.  

I still have about 1.5 months of Lysime left.  I'm going to continue using it until it's gone.  

Kev003

The OBs got out of hand, they started occurring with maybe a week in between.  So, I finally saw a Doc.  He didn't do a test, he said the treatment is the same for HSV-1 & 2.  He put me on acyclovir 800mg 3x a day for 10 days with 1 refill for another OB.  The OB went away at about the same rate as usual (7 days).  A couple weeks later after the 10 days another small OB, so another 10 days same dosage right now with my final refill.  

He said the outbreaks may be from the initial virus that continues to shed and the acyclovir for 10 days should stop/slow it.  Didn't seem right from what I've read but figured Dr knows best and I'll try it. 

He said if they keep occuring to call back and he'll put me on a daily continuous suppression dosage to see if that works.  I'm guessing that's what I'll be doing soon after my current 10 days runs out.  

Kev003
11 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

@Kev003 mate you need a test, this is crazy to be so fact free.

I was thinking for sure I would be tested, so I made sure my appt was during an OB.  He looked at the OB and said the treatment is the same for HSV1 and HSV2 - so I'm kind thinking the same as him, what's the benefit of knowing which one it is?  

WilsoInAus

Yes the treatment is the same for HSV-1 and HSV-2 ... but is it either?

You can’t tell by observation. Herpes has no unique symptoms.

Kev003

Daily suppression with Acyclovir 400mg/2x day has worked great so far, no OBs for 3-4 months now.   About a month ago, I did have a feeling like an OB was starting but it never did.  

I should've did this years ago and saved myself a lot of suffering.  

Brownboy
On 9/1/2019 at 8:00 PM, Kev003 said:

Daily suppression with Acyclovir 400mg/2x day has worked great so far, no OBs for 3-4 months now.   About a month ago, I did have a feeling like an OB was starting but it never did.  

On 9/1/2019 at 8:00 PM, Kev003 said:

If you don't mind me asking. What do your blisters look like on your scrotum. Recently I came about a few red bumps on my scrotum. No pain, no itch, and no oozing. They eventually turned into a white head and as I was checking myself down there, I just so happened to push out a very small amount of white pus. The pus had came out of the pore where the hair grows so I'm kind of baffled as to wether this is HSV related or just an infected hair follicle, especially since there is hair growing out of it.

Ely
On 9/2/2019 at 4:00 AM, Kev003 said:

Still u did not have test maybe its other condition thats not with u anymore and u believe acyclovir helps. Hm 

Kev003
On 10/4/2019 at 12:18 AM, Brownboy said:

If you don't mind me asking. What do your blisters look like on your scrotum. Recently I came about a few red bumps on my scrotum. No pain, no itch, and no oozing. They eventually turned into a white head and as I was checking myself down there, I just so happened to push out a very small amount of white pus. The pus had came out of the pore where the hair grows so I'm kind of baffled as to wether this is HSV related or just an infected hair follicle, especially since there is hair growing out of it.

Mine weren't like that, they were watery blisters that would scab over after a few days then after about a week to 10 days from the start be fully healed.  

Kev003
On 10/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, Ely said:

Still u did not have test maybe its other condition thats not with u anymore and u believe acyclovir helps. Hm 

I'm sure it's HSV.  Symptoms started shortly after a sexual encounter and continued for almost 8 years until acyclovir daily suppresion.  Still no OBs after starting acyclovir for 7 months now.  

Ely

I am happy 4 u that aciclovir helped just check it u can get other viral stuff that can mimic hsv, or just stop therapy than Che k is this comming back, Than u will know the truth  u need it or not 

David2001

Why test?

i never made a test. Just went to the doc and he said. Yep it is. I asked should we test one or two he said. It does not change anything. 

anyhow I had crazy outbreaks and now I am at 3 months. Which I would say is a great feeling to extend it. 

you can read what I do to prevent. And I never took any medicine.