Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Cambrini12

Getting rid of your first outbreak

I got my first outbreak two weeks ago. It's still there. I take valtrex. I'm almost done with my 10 days. But I'm still itching and sore down there. I thought it should start to clear up by now? Did anyone else have a similar first time outbreak? Any tips on speeding up recovery? They say not to stress out. But it's hard not to with this situation. 

I have never had an outbreak, I am classified as Asymptomatic. HOWEVER, my doctor stated if I ever have an outbreak, there are many things you can do to make yourself more comfortable. I have heard taking baths in plain epsom salt with tea tree oil really works!

I was in the same boat! Mine took about 3.5 weeks to heal completely. I took valtrex twice a day, along with with Lysine twice a day (it's a supplement you can find pretty much anywhere that carries supplements). I also used a Kleenex with tea tree oil on it and dabbed it on my sores down there. It gave me instant relief because it has a cooling sensation, but it also helped dry up the sores over time. I also recommend epsom salt baths. I did this every night when I got home from work. This relieves the pain you're having down there (I had lots of cramping and soreness) as well as helps dry up sores. Also FYI, my doctor prescribed me valtrex that I took twice a day for 10 days, but also gave me a prescription for 30 days immediately after that helped A TON. I would contact your doctor and ask for another prescription if you're still having an outbreak once your 10 days of meds are up.

Some people take three weeks to heal and it depends on how severe the outbreak is and how well your body can suppress the virus.  It is really important to understand that this virus is like the flu therefore you need to maintain a healthy immune system to help your outbreak heal and also to prevent future outbreaks especially if you have genital HSV 2.  A lot of people to use tea tree oil to dry out the blisters or even cornstarch

My diagnosis isn't official yet because I'm still waiting for culture results. But when I went to see the doctor 2 days ago, she said it could be genital herpes upon physical examination. So she started me on Acyclovir 3x a day for 5 days. And this should help me if it is indeed herpes. I've been taking it for 2 days now and I pretty much feel the same down there. In your experience, when should I expect some relief? I'm tempted to buy the Propolis salve because I've read that it helps shorten the blister cycle but I'm holding it off until I get my official diagnosis, perhaps sometime next week. Since these symptoms appeared, I've already read a ton of literature related to genital herpes. Is that wrong? I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst case scenario. But deep down inside I'm still hoping and praying that it's not.

It is ok to read up on it but make sure you read from a reputable website.  until you get your diagnosis to know which type it is I would probably hold off because there is the is a difference between genital HSV 1 and hsv2.  In terms of symptoms it's really about how your immune system responds.  I usually just put tea tree oil on mine but everybody is different.  Usually you need to start the antiviral within 3 days of an outbreak for it to be the most effective and if you keep up with a healthy lifestyle while you're having an outbreak it will help it heal better

So, it's official. I got the call today, my culture came back positive. I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss my treatment management. And will also find out tomorrow which virus I have. When I heard the news, the impact was less than I expected. Maybe because I already prepared myself that it will be positive or it hasn't sunk in yet? But either way, I know I need to deal with it because it's a lifetime condition. I'm just fearful of how this will affect my current and/or future relationships and it makes me really sad because I know it's never going to be the same. I just hate myself because I know I could have prevented it but I was irresponsible and now there's nothing I can do about it. I even hoped that I tested positive for the other STDs instead, since most of them have a cure. How did you deal with it when you first found out? And how did you tell your partner about it? Or how did you break it to a new partner who you haven't een intimate with but is planning to?

Honestly I'm afraid of revealing to my future partner. I'm not sure how to start the conversation without fear they will run away. I feel your pain. But I believe is you are truly meant to be with someone nothing will separate that. and it's hard to prevent something that can be spread through skin contact with anyone showing any symptoms. I just got diagnosed last month. But it gets easier as the days go by. 

Disclosing is only as hard as you make it to be.  You can even talk about mutual testing rather than disclosing. You still want to know what they may carry plus it helps to know what precautions are needed.  Hsv genital is cold sores nothing more.  

On 9/12/2017 at 10:29 AM, selu said:

Is it hsv2?

Unfortunately, the kind of testing under my insurance didn't allow to distinguish what kind it is. Weird. But the provider said either way, the treatment management is pretty much the same for both. I have it in the genital area so is it safe to assume it's HSV2? I'm just thankful that my initial outbreak was quite mild, lasted only about 1.5 weeks. Maybe because I caught it early and was able to take antivirals right away. I started taking the L lysine supplement and up my vitamin C intake too. I hope that will lessen or prevent future outbreaks.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, Cambrini12 said:

Honestly I'm afraid of revealing to my future partner. I'm not sure how to start the conversation without fear they will run away. I feel your pain. But I believe is you are truly meant to be with someone nothing will separate that. and it's hard to prevent something that can be spread through skin contact with anyone showing any symptoms. I just got diagnosed last month. But it gets easier as the days go by. 

I hear you. Like how and when do you start the conversation about it right. But I'm glad to know that it's getting better for you. Now that my sores are gone (TMI, sorry), it makes it easier for me too. Just not having the symptoms as a constant reminder helps a lot.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:25 PM, Lisajd said:

Disclosing is only as hard as you make it to be.  You can even talk about mutual testing rather than disclosing. You still want to know what they may carry plus it helps to know what precautions are needed.  Hsv genital is cold sores nothing more.  

My current partner tested negative. It completely baffled me. But the doctor said it's possible, especially if he has a strong immune system and since I didn't have an active outbreak when we had unprotected intercourse. But he will test again in a few months just to make sure. At least now we know what precautions we have to take to protect him. 

3 minutes ago, Space Unicorn said:

My current partner tested negative. It completely baffled me. But the doctor said it's possible, especially if he has a strong immune system and since I didn't have an active outbreak when we had unprotected intercourse. But he will test again in a few months just to make sure. At least now we know what precautions we have to take to protect him. 

no its wrong information about immune system if you have good immune systems they antibodies develove very early due to active virus and it fight with the virus and if you have weak then you get frequently outbreaks and antibodies takes long time

2 minutes ago, Space Unicorn said:

Hey @Space Unicorn interesting story and one we do see a lot of.

If this is the first time you have experienced genital lesions and it was enough to send you to the doctor for a swab, then the chances are with you having just been infected.

If there was both oral and vaginal sex involved, then both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are realistic possibilities.

The only tests that are credible are IgG type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. These are not typically included in an STD/STI panel, that is, when you as to be tested for all STDs.

Have you explicitly seen the results of the above mentioned test for your partner?

12 hours ago, ind555 said:

no its wrong information about immune system if you have good immune systems they antibodies develove very early due to active virus and it fight with the virus and if you have weak then you get frequently outbreaks and antibodies takes long time

I didn't quite understand your statement. Are you saying that my partner had a false negative? He did a blood test but I don't know which kind. He didn't have lesions or any other symptoms at the time of the testing but if he is infected, should it still show despite the absence of symptoms?

12 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @Space Unicorn interesting story and one we do see a lot of.

If this is the first time you have experienced genital lesions and it was enough to send you to the doctor for a swab, then the chances are with you having just been infected.

If there was both oral and vaginal sex involved, then both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are realistic possibilities.

The only tests that are credible are IgG type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. These are not typically included in an STD/STI panel, that is, when you as to be tested for all STDs.

Have you explicitly seen the results of the above mentioned test for your partner?

Unfortunately, I did not explicitly see his results since we tested separately. And yes, this is the first time I've experienced genital lesions. I've been with the same guy for a few months now but only in the last couple of months that we had intercourse without protection. And the guy I was with before him, we've always used condoms. As I've read, it's hard to pinpoint exactly when I was infected. Is it possible though that I've had it all this time and just didn't know since I didn't have any symptoms? And like what you said, it not routine to check it during an STI screening.

Remember that people tend to write about confusing cases and for each of these, there are 100 clear cut cases that are not written about online!

For the vast majority, first noticeable sores means recent infection.

Well he can put hist tests on the table for discussion, no more sex until he does eh!!!