World's Largest Herpes Support Group
cwv

Huge change through Shingles vaccine

cwv

Hey, I was infected forty years ago.  In the last five years or so, since a LOT of trauma left me with heart problems and stuck in fight or flight syndrome, I have had continuous, I mean, overlapping, no break at all, outbreaks...up to four at a time.  It has been real hell, as you can imagine.  I did some research, well, did lots....tried various cures but without any change....finally found research from France showing some trials with the shingles vaccine.  Long story short, after much finagling and testing and basically begging, I was given the vaccine.  You guys, it has been an amazing change.  From 100% of the time with at least one outbreak going, I am down to just maybe once every few months.  I still need to take the Valtrex, one daily, or I get an outbreak....and still will get a small one if I experience extreme stress ... but this is life-changing.  I really recommend you who really badly suffer with recurrent, frequent outbreaks, talk to your doctor about this.  I really hope it works for every single one of you as well as it did for me.  Best of luck. 

Including some screen shots from the studies I found:

Screen shot 2016-07-29 at 5.41.05 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-29 at 5.40.31 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-02 at 7.37.54 PM.png

GlitterDx

In case anyone else can't read the above...

Hey, I was infected forty years ago.  In the last five years or so, since a LOT of trauma left me with heart problems and stuck in fight or flight syndrome, I have had continuous, I mean, overlapping, no break at all, outbreaks...up to four at a time.  It has been real hell, as you can imagine.  I did some research, well, did lots....tried various cures but without any change....finally found research from France showing some trials with the shingles vaccine.  Long story short, after much finagling and testing and basically begging, I was given the vaccine.  You guys, it has been an amazing change.  From 100% of the time with at least one outbreak going, I am down to just maybe once every few months.  I still need to take the Valtrex, one daily, or I get an outbreak....and still will get a small one if I experience extreme stress ... but this is life-changing.  I really recommend you who really badly suffer with recurrent, frequent outbreaks, talk to your doctor about this.  I really hope it works for every single one of you as well as it did for me.  Best of luck.  

RVX Patient and Investor

I encourage everyone to get the live shingles vax.  Currently it is the only vax available.

Soon, chances are high a new subunit ver of the vax will be available.  Might as well get that too.

I personally doubt either will affect hsv, but who wants shingles?  So why not give em a try, I see no harm in it.

cwv
7 hours ago, RVX Patient and Investor said:

I encourage everyone to get the live shingles vax.  Currently it is the only vax available.

Soon, chances are high a new subunit ver of the vax will be available.  Might as well get that too.

I personally doubt either will affect hsv, but who wants shingles?  So why not give em a try, I see no harm in it.

All I know is it made all the difference in the world to me.  And I have spent years trying everything.  Valtrex was just pointless anymore - just made me lose my hair by the handfuls.  Lysine didn't work cuz it wasn't HSV1....I took like eight huge mega bottles of Lysine over time, with no change whatsoever ....before I finally read it's for the lip version of herpes.  Lotsa $$$.  I cut out half the foods on earth, to get rid of L-Arginine foods....that made no difference.  That too was related to HSV1, it turned out.  I can't even think of all the things I've tried....but I just encourage anyone who can to try this because I finally have times with no outbreaks....like, long periods.  I'm hoping one day it will have receded so much I won't have to take the Valtrex anymore either. I also take a Chinese formula daily to combat it.  But that one also helps my heart so I'll probably keep taking it.  Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know, it sure made a difference for me, and like I said, I was infected in the...um, late 70's.  Good luck to all. 

cwv
7 hours ago, GlitterDx said:

In case anyone else can't read the above...

Hey, I was infected forty years ago.  In the last five years or so, since a LOT of trauma left me with heart problems and stuck in fight or flight syndrome, I have had continuous, I mean, overlapping, no break at all, outbreaks...up to four at a time.  It has been real hell, as you can imagine.  I did some research, well, did lots....tried various cures but without any change....finally found research from France showing some trials with the shingles vaccine.  Long story short, after much finagling and testing and basically begging, I was given the vaccine.  You guys, it has been an amazing change.  From 100% of the time with at least one outbreak going, I am down to just maybe once every few months.  I still need to take the Valtrex, one daily, or I get an outbreak....and still will get a small one if I experience extreme stress ... but this is life-changing.  I really recommend you who really badly suffer with recurrent, frequent outbreaks, talk to your doctor about this.  I really hope it works for every single one of you as well as it did for me.  Best of luck.  

Thanks for changing the font....sorry if that other one was hard to read.  Kinda not very experienced at this site. 

Yhanz

Can you have shingles vaccine? Even your at 20's??? Can anyone answer me, coz fda approve said it was just for older and above. Can i have it? 

TCBH

You can get the chickenpox vaccine at any age - the varicella vaccine.  It's similar to the shingles vaccine, just a smaller dosage 

Yhanz
2 minutes ago, TCBH said:

You can get the chickenpox vaccine at any age - the varicella vaccine.  It's similar to the shingles vaccine, just a smaller dosage 

Im talking about the shingles? Vaccine. Can i have it at earlier age? Herpes zoster is different in varicella zoster...

TCBH

I don't think there is much of a difference, just different dosages.

Varivax (for Chickenpox) versus Zostavax (Shingles)

Zostavax is intended for people 60 years and older to reduce the risk of getting shingles.

Varivax is intended for people who have not had chicken pox, to prevent them from acquiring the infection, which most often occurs in children.
Both diseases are caused by the same virus, varicella zoster.

Both vaccines contain the same live attenuated (altered) virus, varicella zoster. However, Zostavax contains a higher dose than Varivax does.

The initial infection with the virus causes chicken pox, and reactivation of the dormant virus causes shingles.

Edited by TCBH

Yhanz

Oh very well said now im so enlightened. So atleast i need to get chicken pox vaccine

TCBH

Now this is interesting.  This may be helpful to herpes sufferers if you can get your doctor to give it to you once it's available. Expect it to be expensive.

Reuters  - 'Impressed' FDA panel unanimously recommends GSK shingles vaccine - September 13, 2017

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gsk-fda/impressed-fda-panel-unanimously-recommends-gsk-shingles-vaccine-idUSKCN1BO2GB?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews

(Reuters) - A U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel on Wednesday voted 11-0 that the safety and efficacy of GlaxoSmithKline’s Shingrix shingles vaccine warrants approval for its use in adults aged 50 and over.

Panel members said they were “very impressed” by efficacy data from Shingrix clinical trials, and that it represents an improvement over Zostavax, the only marketed shingles prevention vaccine from Merck & Co.

While the FDA is not required to follow recommendations of its advisory panels, the enthusiasm expressed would seem to indicate that approval is a virtual certainty in coming weeks.

Shingrix is considered one of the more important products in GSK’s pipeline, with annual sales forecast to reach $1 billion by 2023, according to Thomson Reuters data.

Zostavax, approved in 2006, is expected to generate sales of about $730 million this year, with declining sales forecast for ensuing years with the introduction of serious competition.

Shingrix contains a component used to help boost efficacy from Agenus Inc, which is entitled to royalties on future sales.

Older people are most at risk of an outbreak of shingles, a painful, often debilitating blistering rash. Shingles is the result of reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus, which causes chickenpox and remains latent in those who have had that disease.

In clinical trials, Shingrix has shown greater protection against shingles among older recipients than that demonstrated by Zostavax. Four years after injection, the GSK vaccine remained about 90 percent effective in people over age 70, while the efficacy of Zostavax declines noticeably over time.

“This is a new generation of vaccine, which really has overcome the age-related decline in immunity,” Thomas Breuer, chief medical officer of GSK Vaccines, said in an interview.

Shingrix, given in two doses two months apart, also reduces incidence of nerve pain following a shingles outbreak known as postherpetic neuralgia.

In two pivotal Phase III studies involving more than 29,000 subjects, serious side effects were similar for Shingrix and a placebo. Panelists had questions about a small but greater incidence of certain reported adverse health issues among Shingrix recipients, including gout and stroke.

GSK said it did not believe those were related to Shingrix but has proposed a post-approval safety monitoring plan.

Panelists also expressed concern that the vast majority of trial subjects were white, saying they would like to see more data for other populations.

GSK is expected to announce a U.S. price for Shingrix upon approval. It is also awaiting approval decisions from Europe, Japan, Australia and Canada.

RVX Patient and Investor

If u never had chickenpox u can get that c.pox vax.  If u did have it, u shouldn't get the c.pox vax.

In the USA, most Drs won't give u the shingles vax if ur under 50 bc that's outside of the recommended guidelines and they don't want to be sued if there is an adverse reaction.

If u explained ur situation and signed some kind of consent form to protect ur doc, u might find one kind enough to do it.

kill.hsv(not Kenny)

Varixax is alowed for childs older than 12 Month.

https://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/varivax/varivax_ppi.pdf

VARIVAX is given as a shot to people who are 12 months old or older.
If your child is 12 months to 12 years old and your doctor gives a second dose, the second dose must be given at least 3 months after the first shot.

Edited by kill.hsv

fixme1

could this be a situation where a vaccine not intent for purpose works for hsv ? ha be lucky if it did

RVX Patient and Investor

i have read some people say it helped them etc, but for most it doesn't seem to, and i am skeptical of its HSV benefits for most, but i say why not get it if u can?  whats the harm?

Mackie82

I got the varirix ( chickenpox) vax and after 6 weeks the booster and it did nothing I may have to consider trying the zostavax or the new one shingrix. 

fitzjust1

i had zostavax at age 45, for me it was amazing, from lots of random outbreaks to maybe one or two a year. 

Its not a cure, but its the only thing out there to help, my doctor now give to all who want with HSV regardless of age. 

Zostavax is 14 times stronger that chicken pox vaccine. Im so much happier after the vaccine, my life pretty normal now. 

fitzjust1

it makes sense, Shingles is HSV  and very similar, treated with exactly the same medication. I think its depends on how it works for the individual. 

HoldingOn2Hope
On 9/15/2017 at 11:07 AM, TCBH said:

Shingrix contains a component used to help boost efficacy from Agenus Inc,

Hmm.. I'm curious as to what Agenus Inc's component is. 

This all sounds promising, especially if Zostavax has helped some of you with your symptoms.  

Tjumba

@cwv

Hi there.

I just got my zostavax vaccine yesterday. For how long after did you feel the change for the better ??

I suffer from nervepain, and dont get any typpical OB´s (blisters), and I do hope that this will give som relieve.

Did you allso suffer from nervepain ?

Kind regards

Tjumba

LatentBloomer

@Tjumba

HSV manifests the same way for me- nerve pain w/out OBs.

I look forward to your updates regarding the vax and I truly hope it provides you with some relief. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Best wishes!

brookeb300

idk i couldn't convince my np i dont think i can get this for a long time

Tense

Thank You for posting this. I was exposed to The day 2 months ago and have lived in pure hell. O.b then another back to back. Hsv1 then hsv2 oral,facial and genital so I am sure you know my hell. I have to say but God will help me. Not sure my giver deserves it. I hope my Dr. Will allow me the vaccine. Thanks again 

AllThingsPumpkin

What if you’ve already had shingles? Could I still get it?