Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Sign in to follow this  
Mantis

Very confused!!!

I'm so confused! My IgM was positive yesterday and today I found out the IgG test came back that I am negative for HSV2 but showed evidence of IgG for HSV 1 (she said I needed to retest in 3 months).  I've never had ANY symptoms ever. So do I tell people I have genital herpes or do I tell them I just have cold sores virus?  I have no way of know if I have it on my mouth or below! What do I do??? 

If you've never had any symptom I expect you prob have HSV1 from childhood and not genitally.

9 minutes ago, hopeing said:

If you've never had any symptom I expect you prob have HSV1 from childhood and not genitally.

No I didn't ever have hsv 1 before (was tested in spring). This was a recent exposure. The ex had an outbreak on his genitalia so I got tested. No symptoms but positive for hsv 1 now so how do I know if it's cold sores or gHSV1 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Herpes Dating Web Site

Guest, would you like to try dating another Herpster in your area?

Search Now
  • Similar Content

• Evictorious
      By Evictorious
      I was just diagnosed this week. I am still wrapping my head around all of this. A week ago I just thought I had a yeast infection, multiple trips to the Dr, tons of swabs and test and now it's confirmed. My bloodwork IGG test showed positive hsv1 my swab test showed positive for hsv2. I do not know how I got this and that is so maddening to me. I was married for 15 years, and the last year got divorced, I have had mulitple sexual partners since then.  The majority of the time I used protection.  I met an amazing man that I have been dating for 4 months and he developed symptoms the same day I did. He has not seen a Dr and has not had very many sexual  partners in the last year.  Since the Hsv 2 did not show up in my blood work doesn't that limit the time since my own exposure? I feel so bad about this on top dealing with the dynamics and responsibilities I already have as a single mom. I really miss being able to have sex and I dont know if I will ever be able look at it the same and be as carefree as I was before this diagnosis.  I am really struggling with this. I have done tons of research but still have so many questions moving forward. My doctor was not very helpful, he gave me a RX for Valtrex and sent me out the door. 
      Here are a few of my questions: Isn't Valtrex most effective taken immediately after a outbreak? I am on day 12 of symptoms and I am finally healing should I even bother taking it?
      Is there something better/different then Valtrex I should take? 
      Will I need to be on meds for the rest of my life?
      Has anyone had any success with natural treatments? I am a vegan and I really dont like taking meds. 
      Since my bloodwork didnt show hsv2 dosent that meant I have been exposed to it in the last 6 months?
      Do I need to contact all my previous partners and tell them? even the ones I know I had safe sex with? 
      I am worried about having a normal sex life again. Any tips? 
      Please don't tell me to talk to my doctor. He frustrated me and was completely unable to answer my questions. 
      Thank you for taking the time to read this!
    • cracked
      By cracked
      Exploring how herpes simplex virus changes when passed between family members
      October 20, 2017
      A new study explores how herpes simplex virus might change when passed from one individual to another, information that may prove useful in future development of therapeutics and vaccines. This rare glimpse into a transmission event reveals nearly perfect genetic transmission of the virus from a father to his son and lays the foundation for future studies exploring the genetic diversity of this virus. A paper describing the study appears online Oct. 20 in the journal Scientific Reports.
      “Millions of people worldwide have herpes simplex virus,” said Moriah Szpara, assistant professor of biochemistry and molecular biology at Penn State and an author of the paper. “We see locally distinct variants of the virus with distinct genetic fingerprints in different regions around the world, and, with the prevalence of international travel, we’re starting to see a lot of different variants of the virus appearing in one place. This could have implications for how the virus evolves and how we design therapeutics to combat it. Studies of a related virus — human cytomegalovirus — suggest that the virus diversifies after transmission, and we wanted to see if this was also the case for herpes simplex virus.”
      Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) is a highly contagious infection that commonly causes oral and genital lesions. More severe symptoms can also occur, such as eye disease and, in rare cases, encephalitis -- inflammation of the brain that can cause flu-like symptoms, confusion, seizures, or problems with movement. Although some medications can reduce the severity and frequency of the symptoms, there is no cure for HSV-1 and no guaranteed way to prevent transmission. HSV-1 can be transmitted through contact with sores or saliva around the mouth — as is often the case in familial transmission — or sexually.
      “Capturing transmission of herpes simplex virus is incredibly difficult,” said Szpara, “in part because the social stigma associated with having the virus makes it unlikely for sexual partners to admit when they transmit it. The virus also lasts a lifetime. Unlike the flu, which comes and goes, HSV remains in an individual’s body for the remainder of their life. Periods of latency and reactivation make it hard to know exactly when the virus was first transmitted.”
      “In this study, we had a known case of familial transmission,” said Nancy Sawtell, professor at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and an author of the paper. “Samples from a father and son were cultured in the lab, enabling us to investigate potential differences of the virus after transmission. To gain a comprehensive look at the results of transmission, we used genetic sequencing, and we examined each virus in an animal model to compare the level of virulence, or the ability to cause disease. Animal models have the ability to reflect the interactions of all the body’s systems at once — the outer surface, the immune system and the nervous system all interact during the response to herpes simplex virus infection.”
      Genetically, the viruses taken from the father and son were a near-perfect match. The viruses also had similar pathology when tested in mice — they grew at a similar rate and had a similar ability to set up long-term infection in the brain. Although the viruses from the father and son were not completely identical, these results suggest that HSV-1 may not change much when transmitted between closely related individuals. However, the researchers suspect that transmission between unrelated hosts may provide a more dramatic opportunity for change.
      “An individual’s immune system exerts selection pressure on a virus,” said Utsav Pandey, graduate student at Penn State and first author of the study. “The son got at least half of his immune system from his father, so it was probably a similar selective environment. Unrelated individuals likely differ more in their immune system, which could shape the virus.”
      The research team also compared the performance of the viruses from the father and son to two separate clinical cultures of HSV-1. The variants from the father and son were less virulent — less severe — when tested in mice. Additionally, the genome sequence of the viruses in the father and son, who were from the United States, did not fit in as expected with other HSV-1 genomes that have been genetically sequenced from the United States or Europe.
      “This study broadens our knowledge of what herpes simplex virus variants are circulating in the U.S.,” said Szpara. “It’s not just the United States/European variants that are used in vaccine development and clinical studies. When we think about designing therapeutics and vaccines, we need to know how the virus can differ or we may design something that only controls the virus from a particular region.”
      To further understand how genetic diversity of HSV-1 is generated, the researchers plan to turn their attention to studying transmission of the virus between unrelated individuals. “If we could understand how much the virus changes when passed between unrelated individuals and how the virus’ genetics influences the level of virulence or level of harm the virus can do,” said Szpara, “then hopefully we can design better treatments for HSV-1.”
      In addition to Szpara, Sawtell, and Pandey, the research team includes Daniel Renner, computational scientist at Penn State; and Richard Thompson, professor of molecular genetics, biochemistry, and microbiology at the University of Cincinnati. The work was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Pennsylvania Department of Health Commonwealth Universal Research Enhancement (CURE) program and supported by the Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences at Penn State.
      http://news.psu.edu/story/489409/2017/10/20/research/exploring-how-herpes-simplex-virus-changes-when-passed-between
    • Chris Taylor
      By Chris Taylor
      I'm at my 14 and a half weeks from possible exposure,  I've always been negative for hsv2 but started to get worried about ghsv1. Took ghsv1 and my results came back negative , how accurate are these igg tests? I got a 7 and the equivocal range is 9-1.0 and positive is 1.1 and up. Is 7 something to worry about because it's high ? Because my hsv2 was 2 compared to 7 ghsv1. 
    • LilLadyBug
      By LilLadyBug
      I knew I had HSV1 however I'd only have a few canker sores here and there nothing in my tongue or irritated throat.. however ever since I been diagnosed with HSV2 my throats has been pretty irritated no swollen glands just a scratchy feeling, & some bumps on the back of my tongue..  
      has anyone experienced this? 
    • Skye249
      By Skye249
      Are there any statistics available, even estimated, for genital HSV2 and genital HSV1 infections combined, for any country?
      Even if only swabbed (for obvious reasons) GHSV1 cases were tallied up HSV2 cases by swab/blood test for new infections in a specified year, that would be something.
      I keep hearing that 1 in 10 people have genital herpes simplex in the UK and 1 in 6 have it in the US, and 1 in 4 have it in Australia, but these stats are for HSV2 only.
      It would be interesting to know what the combined stats are, given that in recent years over half of all new genital infections in both the Uk and the US have been caused by HSV1.

• Newbies

• Latest Buzz

• LatentBloomer
      I use witch hazel followed by tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil on my outer labia. I wouldn't try it on the sensitive bits. It might sound crazy, but someone once told me to try desitin maximum strength. I never did so I'm not sure how effective it is.  Zinc. In test tubes, zinc is effective against HSV-1 and HSV-2. In one small study, people who applied zinc oxide cream to cold sores saw them heal faster than those who applied a placebo cream. In another study, people who used a proprietary topical formulation with zinc oxide, l-lysine, and 14 other ingredients saw a decrease in symptoms and duration of lesions. High doses of zinc can be dangerous. Zinc may interact with some antibiotics and with cisplatin, a chemotherapy drug. http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/herpes-simplex-virus
    • Numb22
      I’m having a OB currently, my medicine doesn’t seem to be helping clear it up. I’ve been using aloe Vera for the itchiness down there  but that’s not helping this time! This is so annoying. Anything else I can try? 
    • Seeker1960
      @Lostgirl93 I know that you must be filled with a lot of different feelings which is totally normal. There are a couple of different things that have similar visual symptoms like HSV so  I wouldn't jump to conclusions. If you have an opportunity to swab the blisters when they are fresh you might get an answer. Blood testing will take a minimum of 8 weeks podt exposure but in general it is recommended to wait 12 to 16 weeks. Visually there is no difference in HSV2 and HSV1. HSV is very common so you are not alone in this if you actually have it. You will find a lot of good advice here. Take everything with a grain of salt like @LatentBloomer said there are no "experts" when it comes to H if there were we wouldn't be on this site together looking for answers. HSV affects us all differently because our immune responses are different. So for some this is just a mild skin condition and for others it is a cause of daily nerve pain. Some don't even have a clue they have it and continue to pass it on not knowing. The best thing is to get properly diagnosed. Not always easy because just like the virus is unpredicatable in some people so are the testing results. It took me months to get results I needed to confirm my diagnosis. How ever this turns out you are still the beautiful you! You will learn to live life and do everything you want to do. The virus doesnt define who or what you are. Good luck and don't stress, it is going to be okay.
    • WilsoInAus
      Happy to give a few more details. First I would disregard the IgM result and I'd say that if it was positive or negative. False positives are common and not everyone has detectable IgM antibodies upon a primary herpes infection. This test has little diagnostic value. IgG antibodies are part of your body's permanent immune response and a person will test positive for these antibodies from 3-12 weeks after infection. A person should expect to test negative in the first 3 weeks post an infection. Hence the blood tests confirm that you did not have any form of herpes most likely prior to the episode you describe. Visual diagnoses are 75% accurate at best. I'd say this one seems a bit at the presumptive end of the scale, but that's just me. Bacteria and yeast are indeed valid causes of your symptoms. There are no symptoms unique to herpes. The best 'tell' for herpes are lesions. The presence of lesions is the only symptom that would put herpes in the top 3 possibilities in a doctor's mind when diagnosing. You do not describe lesions. Some doctors may not have even been concerned regarding herpes as a possibility. Given this one has does suggest that you will need to have a repeat test 12 weeks after exposure for peace of mind. If lesions do appear, then immediately obtain a swab.
    • MoniqueLow
      Canada! I really love that my tax money is used so wisely :-/ https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-150/ottawa-spending-half-a-billion-dollars-for-canadas-150th-anniversary/article33508942/%3Fservice=amp http://www.blogto.com/arts/2017/05/people-upset-about-200k-cost-giant-rubber-duck-ontario/
    • df9117
      I had protected anal sex about 10 days before this. I've been in contact with him and he says he's been tested and is negative. Doctor originally thought anal fissure but then the rash and lymph nodes led him to herpes. Could is potentially be a bacterial infection. Just confused with the negative blood tests but visual diagnosis.     
  • Trending