Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
theuniversesucks

Multiple HSV2 sub-strains within one person

HI , I believe I have multiple strains of HSV2 which infect roughly  the same area on my body ( the scrotum ) , the second hsv2 strain I picked up in SE Asia  has destroyed my life since I got infected nearly 4 years ago , im from western europe . I have suffered constantly since then with an unbelievable aggressive persistant  low level herpes infection which anti virals have little to no effect on   , is anybody aware of any  available test which can identify  different sub-strains within the HSV2 family ? 

I never thought a STI could be so damaging to a human being ( excluding HIV ) , it has destroyed my life in ways I could never have imagined , Id prefer cancer to this any day, at least there is some chance of putting up a fight and remission . 

Edited by theuniversesucks

Sorry to hear you're suffering so much. I dont know much about different strains.  Can you find a good infectious disease dr maybe at a teaching university?  Hang in there... keep us posted.  @theuniversesucks

I think its just the way the virus woks and interacts with our immune system. 

I had terrible HSV 2 for 10 years, my wife got HSV 2 from me, presumably the same strain and has never had an outbreak. 

Im from UK but live in SE asia. 

Once you have HSV 2 and build up antibodies, you wont pick up another strain, never heard that before. 

Yea I was wondering about this myself. I think I read on halfords blog in 2014, that there were something like 80 different strains. However some are more common then others....

So I'm wondering if there is a test you can do for the strain you have, and i know @fitzjust1 says you have antibodies, I'd love to see if that can be confirmed. Once you have hsv2 are you immune to all others? I don't think thats the way it works but I have no evidence of anything....

2 hours ago, fitzjust1 said:

Once you have HSV 2 and build up antibodies, you wont pick up another strain, never heard that before. 

It is relatively unlikely but not impossible, about 15% people have 2 or more strains. Immunocompromised people are at higher risk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15221906

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16991086

So, even with another HSV-2+ partner you need to use protection.

@friendlyboy what you linked showed reinfection with HSV-1, right? Not another strain of HSV-2? 

Edited by cracked

1 hour ago, cracked said:

@friendlyboy what you linked showed reinfection with HSV-1, right? Not another strain of HSV-2? 

Really?: High incidence of genotypic variance between sequential herpes simplex virus type 2 ...

2 hours ago, LatentBloomer said:

@fitzjust1What happens if you don't develop antibodies? 

@theuniversesucks how long have you had HSV2 and how were you initially tested/diagnosed?

I have had PCR blood tests confirming HSV2 twice just to be sure , I was first diagnosed 7 years ago with typical intermittent symptoms but after 3 years and a visit to SE Asia my symptoms changed so unbelievably dramatically that I can only conclude that I had received another strain of HSV2 , my symptoms changed from typical to near constant but without the typical lesions but the associated malaise , constant tingling and nerve issues on the skin , mild rash , tummy issues etc

13 minutes ago, friendlyboy said:

Really?: High incidence of genotypic variance between sequential herpes simplex virus type 2 ...

So in lay-mans terms what does this sentence mean , it confirms what I believe is possible , multiple infection of the same strain?

Just now, theuniversesucks said:

So in lay-mans terms what does this sentence mean , it confirms what I believe is possible , multiple infection of the same strain?

Yes, it means that it is possible, and not extremely unlikely.

Just now, friendlyboy said:

Yes, it means that it is possible, and not extremely unlikely.

Thanks

I suffer from all the above, but I was just diagnosed in August after contracting this is June. My first igg test came back positive, but after starting daily AVs (which do nothing for the nerve issues/fatigue) I've tested negative. So I no longer have detectable antibody levels which leads me to believe that my immune system is not responding correctly. I suppose that's your problem as well although I really don't know. I'd be interested in a strain specific test as but do not believe they are commercially available....unless you know a grad student working in virology. 

@friendlyboy omg, are you serious? why does the world have such a nonchalant attitude towards this virus?! 

I sometimes wish I could be put into a chemically induced coma until a cure is found. Or at least something that addresses the body pain/fatigue/tingles. 

1 minute ago, LatentBloomer said:

I suffer from all the above, but I was just diagnosed in August after contracting this is June. My first igg test came back positive, but after starting daily AVs (which do nothing for the nerve issues/fatigue) I've tested negative. So I no longer have detectable antibody levels which leads me to believe that my immune system is not responding correctly. I suppose that's your problem as well although I really don't know. I'd be interested in a strain specific test as but do not believe they are commercially available....unless you know a grad student working in virology. 

I think the anti virals are affecting your results , if you are like the majority your immune system will deal with this in time like mine did until I was re-infected , it could be worse you could be me

1 minute ago, LatentBloomer said:

@friendlyboy omg, are you serious? why does the world have such a nonchalant attitude towards this virus?! 

I sometimes wish I could be put into a chemically induced coma until a cure is found. Or at least something that addresses the body pain/fatigue/tingles. 

You and me both. F this. First I hsve to worry about having HSV-2 and now multiple strains possibly F’ing me over?!

1 minute ago, theuniversesucks said:

I think the anti virals are affecting your results , if you are like the majority your immune system will deal with this in time like mine did until I was re-infected , it could be worse you could be me

In fairness the chances of getting re-infected are very low

6 minutes ago, theuniversesucks said:

In fairness the chances of getting re-infected are very low

How low? What a bastard of a virus...has so many tricks up its sleeve to make one feel that dying is better than dealing with it life long.

@cracked you made me lol. This virus is so ridiculous. I'm having a tough day- literally feel like i have a virus. So tired and tingly, ugh!

I need to just look into cryonics and freeze my body for the next 5 years until Excision gets rid of this shit for me. Each day and each symptom makes me feel like my life is over to enjoy anything I ever used to. I can’t even sleep at night without waking up to a possible UTI hours later. It makes me just want to strangle that primate 1.6 million years ago. Fuck.

@cracked are your antibody levels still low or are you waiting a few more weeks before retesting?

what about exposure therapy? I know that was discussed in another thread. I'm desperately trying to figure out how to develop type specific antibodies. 

@LatentBloomer After looking at some evidence last night I think I’ve had this stupid thing for a decade in that incident I told you about and it has mildly been affecting me ever since and not fully exploded into action until now, and that may be why the test showed I already had low antibodies for it despite less than 12 days of exposure. But after reading this multiple strain stuff I’m motr worried than ever. I asked my urologist to order another test for me, but I think she didn’t. I’m gonna call and ask again, but I can’t believe they’re just brushing me off.

I think it's similar to the way a vax works. I read about it in the "natural remedies" section. You'd take some deactivated HSV infected cells under your tongue to encourage your body to make more antibodies. 

I'm also going back and forth on the glutamine thing. I read that it can increase T cell production. 

"Mice treated with glutamine also had higher numbers of HSV-specific IFN-γ–producing CD8 T cells in latently infected ganglia. Thus, glutamine may enhance the IFN-γ–associated immune response and reduce the rate of reactivation of latent virus infection."

https://www.jci.org/articles/view/88990

Ok, so if you've had it for decades why such low ab levels? Shouldn't it be super high? Like 14.2?

I'm not doubting you at all. You might be correct. But that just leads me to believe that our immune systems suck, specifically with HSV. I was never sick before this.