Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.

Although I disagree with some of this article regarding it not being a big deal, it’s good someone like VICE wrote about it since they have a pretty large audience.

vice-tombstone.svg

Herpes: Welcome to the Disease You Probably Have

“ A common STI check up covers a lot, but not herpes. When I asked why herpes wasn't included in the STI check, I was advised basically to not poke a sleeping bear. If I requested a blood test to look for antibodies to HSV1 or HSV2, it would burden me with disclosure even if the virus was only present due to coldsores. My doctor was essentially telling me to preserve my plausible deniability.”

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/j5q3gy/herpes-welcome-to-the-disease-you-probably-have

II can't stand all these articles claiming herpes as not a big deal. And most of us have it so who cares. It frustrates me to no end. Especially those of us who do have it that buy into it. It is a problem. It's uncomfortable, it hurts, it's embarrassing. And it can be dangerous. Infants die every year, some people have it so bad they can hardly walk, people who get it in their eye can go blind, in rare cases theres incephalitis. I'm so annoyed. I can't stand it. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Herpes Dating Web Site

Guest, would you like to try dating another Herpster in your area?

Search Now
  • Similar Content

• cracked
      By cracked
      I want to reserve this topic as a humorous/sarcastic corner to sort of see how many things users can find online that had a crazy amount of funding or used tax payer money, which could’ve been used instead for things like research, cures, awareness related to diseases or serious medical problems.
      Hopefully it’ll be a way to just blow some steam at things we’re not very happy about or find funny. I’ll start:
      This is just unneccessary and the money could easily have funded research for HSV or helped people that are homeless or even helped Texas get a better sex-ed program 
    • cracked
      By cracked
      I’m really, really scared, freaking out, depressed right now, and need some help. A lot of you might already know my story, but herpes has me freaked the fuck out now. I’m 25 years old, have always been a highly active person all of my life, have always eaten right and healthy, and haven’t ever dealt with any major health issues. I’m assuming I do have GHSV-2, but don’t know for sure yet, but was diagnosed visually and with a igg of 2.0. Since 4 months now after coming back from being abroad I don’t have any appetite, feel like I have food in my stomach, pronounced heart rate, shortness of breath, and just overall feeling of being unwell. I was told by a forum member that my vagus nerve could have been affected by the virus or maybe some other virus and caused me to have gastroparesis, causing me to feel full really quickly because my stomach isnt able to empty itself, and it isn’t curable apparently when I googled it!!? How am I supposed to live my life with having this virus and also dealing with not being able to eat and supposed to not die from losing weight?! On top of this I read diabetes is frequently a cause for this? No one in my family that I know of has diabetes. What the fuck has my life turned into?!?! All because of wanting to have sex one time in my life?! I have never dealt with anything like this in my life. 
    • rgreen
      By rgreen
      Hi All,
      Looking for some necessary advice...If I want to get my gf pregnant what are the chance of me infecting her if I
      1. Don't use a condom / don't use antivirals
      2. Use antivirals
      Since 70%-80% of people are asymptotic there must be a lot of people having regular unprotected sex that are not aware they have HSV....
      Thank you!
    • cracked
      By cracked
      NanoViricides to Present Results On Successful Treatment Of Herpes-Induced Acute Retinal Necrosis at the Annual Meeting of the Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Group (OMIG) of the American...
        PR Newswire  Oct. 17, 2017, 07:00 AM
      NanoViricides, Inc. (NYSE American: NNVC) (the "Company") will present the results of its anti-herpes nanoviricide treatment for Viral Acute Retinal Necrosis (vARN) at the 2017 Annual meeting of the Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Group (OMIG) of the American Academy of Ophthalmology to be held in New Orleans, LA.
      v-ARN is a disease of the retina of the eye caused by various herpes viruses that leads to severe loss of vision and blindness.  The infecting agent in this study was herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-2), the type of herpes virus that also causes genital herpes.  
      The abstract of the study has been accepted for presentation at this OMIG meeting on November 10th, 2017.  Dr. Vivien Boniuk, consultant in ophthalmology at NanoViricides, Inc. will make the scientific presentation.  The presentation will cover both the inhibition of virus infection and prevention of ocular tissue damage following virus infection.
      Viral Acute Retinal Necrosis is characterized by severe ocular inflammation, retinal necrosis, and a high incidence of retinal detachment (RD) leading to visual loss and blindness.  This disease is caused by members of the herpesvirus family, including, herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-2), varicella zoster virus (VZV), and herpes simplex virus (HSV-1).  An estimated 50,000 new and recurrent cases of viral ARN per year are reported in the United States alone.
      The study was performed in the laboratory of Professor Curtis Brandt, Collaborative Ophthalmic Research Laboratories, CORL, at the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Brandt is Professor in the Departments of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Medical Microbiology and Immunology, and Director of the Vision Research Core at the University of Wisconsin. 
      NanoViricides believes that its broad-spectrum anti-herpes drug candidates being developed in its HerpeCide™ program may be capable of attacking many different herpesviruses.  The Company intends to maximize shareholder value from this asset by aggressively expanding its portfolio of herpesvirus indications. The Company is already developing drugs for at least four different indications based on these broad-spectrum anti-herpes drug candidates, namely: (i) skin cream for the treatment of shingles (VZV), (ii) skin cream for the treatment of herpes labialis (HSV-1), (iii) eye drops for the treatment of herpes keratitis, a disease of the external eye (HSV-1), and (iv) skin cream for the treatment of genital herpes (HSV-2). Successful studies on vARN would add a fifth indication to this growing portfolio, further expanding the potential market.
  • Newbies

• Latest Buzz

• LatentBloomer
      I use witch hazel followed by tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil on my outer labia. I wouldn't try it on the sensitive bits. It might sound crazy, but someone once told me to try desitin maximum strength. I never did so I'm not sure how effective it is.  Zinc. In test tubes, zinc is effective against HSV-1 and HSV-2. In one small study, people who applied zinc oxide cream to cold sores saw them heal faster than those who applied a placebo cream. In another study, people who used a proprietary topical formulation with zinc oxide, l-lysine, and 14 other ingredients saw a decrease in symptoms and duration of lesions. High doses of zinc can be dangerous. Zinc may interact with some antibiotics and with cisplatin, a chemotherapy drug. http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/herpes-simplex-virus
    • Numb22
      I’m having a OB currently, my medicine doesn’t seem to be helping clear it up. I’ve been using aloe Vera for the itchiness down there  but that’s not helping this time! This is so annoying. Anything else I can try? 
    • Seeker1960
      @Lostgirl93 I know that you must be filled with a lot of different feelings which is totally normal. There are a couple of different things that have similar visual symptoms like HSV so  I wouldn't jump to conclusions. If you have an opportunity to swab the blisters when they are fresh you might get an answer. Blood testing will take a minimum of 8 weeks podt exposure but in general it is recommended to wait 12 to 16 weeks. Visually there is no difference in HSV2 and HSV1. HSV is very common so you are not alone in this if you actually have it. You will find a lot of good advice here. Take everything with a grain of salt like @LatentBloomer said there are no "experts" when it comes to H if there were we wouldn't be on this site together looking for answers. HSV affects us all differently because our immune responses are different. So for some this is just a mild skin condition and for others it is a cause of daily nerve pain. Some don't even have a clue they have it and continue to pass it on not knowing. The best thing is to get properly diagnosed. Not always easy because just like the virus is unpredicatable in some people so are the testing results. It took me months to get results I needed to confirm my diagnosis. How ever this turns out you are still the beautiful you! You will learn to live life and do everything you want to do. The virus doesnt define who or what you are. Good luck and don't stress, it is going to be okay.
    • WilsoInAus
      Happy to give a few more details. First I would disregard the IgM result and I'd say that if it was positive or negative. False positives are common and not everyone has detectable IgM antibodies upon a primary herpes infection. This test has little diagnostic value. IgG antibodies are part of your body's permanent immune response and a person will test positive for these antibodies from 3-12 weeks after infection. A person should expect to test negative in the first 3 weeks post an infection. Hence the blood tests confirm that you did not have any form of herpes most likely prior to the episode you describe. Visual diagnoses are 75% accurate at best. I'd say this one seems a bit at the presumptive end of the scale, but that's just me. Bacteria and yeast are indeed valid causes of your symptoms. There are no symptoms unique to herpes. The best 'tell' for herpes are lesions. The presence of lesions is the only symptom that would put herpes in the top 3 possibilities in a doctor's mind when diagnosing. You do not describe lesions. Some doctors may not have even been concerned regarding herpes as a possibility. Given this one has does suggest that you will need to have a repeat test 12 weeks after exposure for peace of mind. If lesions do appear, then immediately obtain a swab.
    • MoniqueLow
      Canada! I really love that my tax money is used so wisely :-/ https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-150/ottawa-spending-half-a-billion-dollars-for-canadas-150th-anniversary/article33508942/%3Fservice=amp http://www.blogto.com/arts/2017/05/people-upset-about-200k-cost-giant-rubber-duck-ontario/
    • df9117
      I had protected anal sex about 10 days before this. I've been in contact with him and he says he's been tested and is negative. Doctor originally thought anal fissure but then the rash and lymph nodes led him to herpes. Could is potentially be a bacterial infection. Just confused with the negative blood tests but visual diagnosis.     
  • Trending