World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Scorpiomommy

Babysitters

Scorpiomommy

My 2 year old daughter has had three Genital  “outbreaks” of a cluster of blisters that turn into ulcerative sores (looks like herpes). The first time it happened we had her tested, since my husband and I both have HSV. It came back negative and we were so relieved, but still confused as to what it was. It has happened twice since then, including right now. We just got a new babysitter and she is amazing. Very attentive and interactive and she adores our daughter and her daughter is close in age so they had a wonderful day together. The babysitter noticed her sores when changing her diaper and asked me about it. I told her I felt it might be Herpes but we weren’t sure because it had been tested before and was negative, and I apologized for not telling her beforehand because I had completely forgotten to mention it. She was 100% supportive and compassionate about it which was a giant relief! Then a few hours later she texted me saying her and her daughter had touched my daughters pacifier and should they be worried? My heart dropped. I suddenly felt like my daughter was a plague. That she’s tainted and will forever be exiled by her peers and mothers. I am heartbroken. The babysitter was suddenly short with me in conversation and seemed very off put by the situation. I reassured her we would get it tested again, and until then she should ensure her daughter doesn’t share food or drinks or kisses with my daughter just in case, even though her sores have only been Genital. We are taking her tomorrow to be tested again for peace of mind. Until then I am drowning in anxiety and disappointment that we may have passed this on to our beautiful innocent daughter. I’m currently 8 months pregnant with another daughter and start my valtrex tomorrow to avoid outbreak at delivery. Advice? Anyone have two children and only one has HSV and hasn’t passed it on to the other child?  I feel hopeless for preventing the spread of it to our newborn at some point in her life.

jingle

How would a 2yr old baby get genital herpes?? not unless someone with a cold sore kissed her skin in the diaper area?? you should get a pcr swab test done of the blisters but it'd be quite rare that a baby would get genital herpes without any sexual contact. I've heard babies having blisters/cold sores on lips, but not genitals.

diablo604

11 minutes ago, jingle said:

How would a 2yr old baby get genital herpes?? 

If a doctor diagnosed a 2 year old baby with genital herpes, they would automatically report the case to law enforcement and child welfare agencies. In your position, I would be at the paediatrician's office looking for an explanation. Frankly, the mere fact that you mentioned the possibility that a two-year-old might have genital herpes is probably what alarmed the babysitter. 

Edited by diablo604

Elle22

Have you had your daughter checked for yeast infections? I imagine that would be more likely and they can cause blisters and sores like that

dont quit!17

I hope everything is ok with you and your daughter. Although its unlikely of your 2 year old having genital HSV. I understand that it indeed is a concern. My thoughts and empathy are with you. Keep us posted, I have small children too. 

a1mbt
On 10/20/2017 at 7:21 AM, jingle said:

How would a 2yr old baby get genital herpes?? not unless someone with a cold sore kissed her skin in the diaper area?? you should get a pcr swab test done of the blisters but it'd be quite rare that a baby would get genital herpes without any sexual contact. I've heard babies having blisters/cold sores on lips, but not genitals.

Incorrect, hsv can be passed to a child through breast feeding and even through the mother shedding during pregnancy. The mother may not even know they have hsv and have never had symptoms yet still shed, during shedding the virus is active and skin friction, fluids can cause transmission of it.

Im really surprised looking around people how much people dont research here tbh

Scorpiomommy
On 10/20/2017 at 2:21 AM, jingle said:

I have HSV-1 and HSV-2. She could have acquired it in utero, at birth, via breastfeeding, poor hand hygiene + diaper changes.. I mean think about it. If I go to the restroom and accidentally touch a sore and don’t think to wash my hands, or wash them poorly, then go change her diaper and have to put diaper cream on her.. it could hypothetically happen so as a first time mom I freaked out. It’s not automatically a sexual thing just because of where it’s located. I have a friend with HSV who only gets whitlows, which are known to be evident from touching other sores.. not the case for my friend at all since she doesn’t get sores anywhere else.. turns out my daughter doesn’t have any form of HSV at all. Must’ve just been a yeast infection.

Happybee
On 11/8/2018 at 4:41 AM, a1mbt said:

Incorrect, hsv can be passed to a child through breast feeding and even through the mother shedding during pregnancy. The mother may not even know they have hsv and have never had symptoms yet still shed, during shedding the virus is active and skin friction, fluids can cause transmission of it.

Im really surprised looking around people how much people dont research here tbh

Breast feeding yes but shedding in pregnacy I never heard of? 

Happybee
On 10/19/2017 at 8:57 PM, Scorpiomommy said:

My 2 year old daughter has had three Genital  “outbreaks” of a cluster of blisters that turn into ulcerative sores (looks like herpes). The first time it happened we had her tested, since my husband and I both have HSV. It came back negative and we were so relieved, but still confused as to what it was. It has happened twice since then, including right now. We just got a new babysitter and she is amazing. Very attentive and interactive and she adores our daughter and her daughter is close in age so they had a wonderful day together. The babysitter noticed her sores when changing her diaper and asked me about it. I told her I felt it might be Herpes but we weren’t sure because it had been tested before and was negative, and I apologized for not telling her beforehand because I had completely forgotten to mention it. She was 100% supportive and compassionate about it which was a giant relief! Then a few hours later she texted me saying her and her daughter had touched my daughters pacifier and should they be worried? My heart dropped. I suddenly felt like my daughter was a plague. That she’s tainted and will forever be exiled by her peers and mothers. I am heartbroken. The babysitter was suddenly short with me in conversation and seemed very off put by the situation. I reassured her we would get it tested again, and until then she should ensure her daughter doesn’t share food or drinks or kisses with my daughter just in case, even though her sores have only been Genital. We are taking her tomorrow to be tested again for peace of mind. Until then I am drowning in anxiety and disappointment that we may have passed this on to our beautiful innocent daughter. I’m currently 8 months pregnant with another daughter and start my valtrex tomorrow to avoid outbreak at delivery. Advice? Anyone have two children and only one has HSV and hasn’t passed it on to the other child?  I feel hopeless for preventing the spread of it to our newborn at some point in her life.

Do you have hsv1 or 2?

Happybee
On 10/19/2017 at 8:57 PM, Scorpiomommy said:

I have 2 kids..preggo with my 3rd..I take valtrex everyday..I have anxiety all the time over things