HSV, constipation, and urinary retention study

LatentBloomer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27281569/

HSV-1 spread via the dorsal root ganglia to the autonomic ganglia of the enteric nervous system (ENS) in the colon. ENS infection led to robust viral gene transcription, pathological inflammatory responses, and neutrophil-mediated destruction of enteric neurons, ultimately resulting in permanent loss of peristalsis and the development of toxic megacolon. These results reveal an unexpected pathogenesis of HSV associated with ENS infection.

I have a harmless skin infection. 

Humans mainly do have a harmless skin infection in HSV-1!

Mice don't funny enough, probably as their genetics is some 50 million years older and less advanced than humans.

Just follow the usual advice, don't kiss a mouse while you're having an outbreak!

I think (and hope) WilsoInAus is right about this. The lethality and dire consequences of many diseases is many folds greater in mice and small animals than what it would be in humans simply because of the complexity of our physiological make up.

11 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Humans mainly do have a harmless skin infection in HSV-1!

Mice don't funny enough, probably as their genetics is some 50 million years older and less advanced than humans.

Just follow the usual advice, don't kiss a mouse while you're having an outbreak!

I hear and agree with you on this, but it’s worth noting that genetically, mice are not 50 million years further up the genetic tree. Rather, our lineage diverged some 100 million (not 50 million) years ago, and mutation rates are surprisingly similar (about 1 in 1 million base pair mutations per cell replication event). I’m sure this is what you meant, but non-biologists often get confused about how evolution works when we aren’t clear on these points. Hence why those that deny evolutionary science seem to wonder why people seem to think we evolved from bonobos or chimps rather than diverged from a mutual ancestor.

But again, your larger point that the mice aren’t perfect (nowhere near, actually) very great models for human disease experiments is spot on.

I'm not implying that HSV can cause cellular death in humans the same way it does in mice, but I think it's important to acknowledge that hsv isn't contained to just two nerve clusters. It's entirely possible that hsv can produce systemic symptoms in some people, even if it doesn't result in death or paralysis. Certain non-polio enteroviruses can wreak havoc in some people and manifest as a common cold in others. I think it's foolish to assume that hsv is always harmless. And scientists still don't know what causes ibs or Crohn's disease. Who knows what diseases will become less prevalent once crispr tackles the herpes virus family.

3 minutes ago, LatentBloomer said:

I think it's foolish to assume that hsv is always harmless. And scientists still don't know what causes ibs or Crohn's disease

Well trying to convince doctors during appointments what these symptoms could be due to since they firmly believe it’s not HSV is like talking to a brick wall. So I don’t even know what to say or do anymore during my visits. I wish there was some sort of pod people could just sit in and get any disease sucked out of them within a few hours and things could go back to normal again.

@cracked people with fibromyalgia and ME/CFS went through the same thing for years until they were finally acknowledged. You know your body better than anyone else. I have the same issues with my doctors so I omit the part that my symptoms started after sex. I simply state that I developed a recurrent, non-Bacterial UTI that didn't respond to antibiotics and that I've tested negative for everything except HSV. My neurologist explained that I probably caught a virus and that I'm having an autoimmune response to it. He doesn't believe that HSV is that virus, just some other kind of virus. 

Also, I'm willing to accept that this is caused by another virus, but my doctors feel like they've tested for everything else that could be causing these symptoms. I just want a proper diagnosis- I don't care what it is. 

Edited by LatentBloomer

@crackedI don't know if we'll ever figure it out, but I'm sure we'll eventually get better. 

I know that whatever I have is viral bc my symptoms are no longer chronic, they're recurrent. I'll feel pretty good for a week or 2 and then my lower back starts burning, my left butt cheek aches, pain shoots down my left leg into my foot and my entire genital region feels like I've inserted a jalapeño pepper tampon. The glands in my groin and left underarm also ache and feel tender during this time. 

@Sanguine108my doctors haven't tested for Lyme bc I live in Florida and ticks are rare here. They're a mild nuisance during this time of year when we import x-mas trees from Michigan but my symptoms started in June. Also, my pcp said that Lyme wouldn't cause my genital problems. I'd still like to be tested for everything though, including non-polio enteroviruses. 

Well, Lyme is still pretty common and I remember reading about how it can be transmitted skin-skin.

...Doing a little google search.

Is Lyme Disease Contagious? Clues Hint That It May Be A Sexually Transmitted Disease
http://www.medicaldaily.com/lyme-disease-contagious-clues-hint-it-may-be-sexually-transmitted-disease-267964

Who knows, it may not be Lyme, but if you're on the hunt for ruling things out then this would definitely be something to rule out.  I suppose the question here would be what was the history of the person you were intimate with before these symptoms began.

• Thanks 1

ya just gotta test to rule it out.  Sometimes you don't need a reason to rule out a pathogen that's very common in general.   That same 'outdated book' knowledge is the same knowledge that gives black and white thinking about 'things' like disease pathology.   A simple example is that HSV-1 only infects the mouth and HSV-2 infects the genitals.   Or that once you get HSV-1 you can't get re-infected by HSV-1 or a different subtype; same w HSV-2.

I absolutely agree. I had never even considered that Lyme could be transmitted person to person. I'm in the process of getting health insurance again (yay!) so I'll have more leeway when it comes to requesting blood tests.

It would still be an unfortunate diagnosis as there's no cure. :(

And the neurological complications are concerning. 

I'll need a full genetic overhaul if I have hsv and Lyme. xD 

25 minutes ago, Sanguine108 said:

ya just gotta test to rule it out.  Sometimes you don't need a reason to rule out a pathogen that's very common in general.   That same 'outdated book' knowledge is the same knowledge that gives black and white thinking about 'things' like disease pathology.   A simple example is that HSV-1 only infects the mouth and HSV-2 infects the genitals.   Or that once you get HSV-1 you can't get re-infected by HSV-1 or a different subtype; same w HSV-2.

Can you give us some links to the 'updated book' that has some information, some of these statements seem crazy!

1 minute ago, LatentBloomer said:

It would still be an unfortunate diagnosis as there's no cure

Lyme is very much curable.   It takes a little more time as it's a spirochete and its literally drilled itself in.   but yeah test.

• Like 1

@WilsoInAusI think that was sanguine's point- the literature hasn't been updated. A new member just explained that his girlfriend's doctor refused to test her for HSV because you can only transmit during an OB. That's dangerous information being perpetuated by doctors who stop learning after graduation. Even if it turns out he was misdiagnosed with a visual exam, that information is wrong. 

And many people still assume that all genital herpes infections are caused by HSV2

Edited by LatentBloomer

The literature as far as I am aware is correct and is fully updated to the absolute latest knowledge. It is all largely freely available on ResearchGate for example.

I think you might be referring to some doctors' knowledge being outdated, if so I agree, but that has nothing to do with the literature.

Not just that, he was attempting to be sneaky and spread misinformation such as:

"Or that once you get HSV-1 you can't get re-infected by HSV-1 or a different subtype; same w HSV-2."

That's not in any literature.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Single ➵ You may like to try the Dating App

• Similar Content

• Elleohelle
      By Elleohelle
      Would love any advice on if these symptoms seem like hsv  or if anyone else has had consistent negative testing yet present with intense symptoms. Doctors I have seen do not think it is hsv. But cannot give me any other explanation. 
      Had sex in 11/8 and symptoms started 11/15 and have wavered in intensity and changed yet been consistent through out the last 5 months.
      Initial symptoms: vaginal itching, thick white discharge, anal itching, two tears in labia. Doctor thought it could be yeast was treated and with no change to my symptoms. 
      Following symptoms: chills, body aches, smooth bumps that burned slightly on buttock, headaches, nerve pain in hands and feet as well as wrist. Constipation and numbness on clit. Watery/bubbly discharge even though no internal lesions were present. Also had grey discharge for one day.
      Next symptoms: burning sensation, tingling, cooling sensation in groin, back thighs, and buttocks. which has continued for the last 4 months with little relief. Also raw and irritated feeling in thighs and labia area. discharge goes from a sticky whiteish consistency to a thick white consistency. 
      Symptoms on mouth: tingling, burning, splitting, and tears on  one side of lip. These seems appear off and on occasionally. 
      The most intense symptoms of all is the nerve pain. It feels like I cant escape it. And it is the main symptoms that leads me to believe I have hsv. 
      I have had no noticeable lesions, blisters or coldsores. 
      Has been negative for yeast, BV, and other stds. 
      Tears were swab with a viral culture: negative. 
      IgG test at 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 12 weeks 18 weeks: negative. 
      I have had the western blot kit sent to me, just worried about finding a doctor that will agree to sign the paperwork. Planning to get the WB to give me answers. 
      Partner refused to get tested for HSV and claims he is clean which makes me even more suspicious. 
    • anna_
      By anna_
      Hi everyone,
      I have oral and genital HSV1, diagnosed a little over a year ago. I am wondering, does anyone else get oral outbreaks that are primarily inside your mouth and not on your lips? When I get oral outbreaks, mine usually don't come with cold sores around my lips. The sores are only inside my mouth, usually on my gums, and they're pretty painful and annoying, as they get in the way of eating and brushing my teeth. This doesn't seem like a super common presentation of HSV1 because I can't find a ton of info about it online, but I know I'm not the only person whose oral HSV presents this way and I know they're not canker sores. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this and has any tips on how they deal with it. In particular, would love to know if anyone has any good tips for something that reduces the pain while you're waiting for the Valtrex to do its thing
      Thanks!
    • JeffBridges
      By JeffBridges
      I’ve made some posts earlier this month on my presumptive status.
      I was tested 12 days since the initial exposure. The test results are back...
      HSV 1/2 IgG Aby-HSV1 IgG, Type Spec <0.91 (0.00-0.90 index)
      HSV 1/2 IgG Aby-HSV2 IgG, Type Spec  = 1.27 (0.00-0.90 index)
      HSV 2 IgG Supplemental Test-HSV-2, IgG Supplemental Test = Negative

All other stds came back negative. On the 10th day, white stinging cloudy discharge came out of the tip of my penis. 
      It still hurts to urinate, but not as intensely. What looks like “contact dermatitis” on the head of my penis but the bumps are sparsely patched and not filled with pus. On the day of my test, I was given 2 acyclovir and I felt like the symptoms went away for a few days.
      No visible lesions and the culture came back negative.
      But still, I was told to get retested 30 days from initial exposure (so July 18th). 

I will get retested, but from the description provided above, what are the odds that the First test results are accurate and that I do have HSV2?
    • Cwnohrts
      By Cwnohrts
      I don't know enough to distinguish if i'm in the healing stage ? it burns 50% less when I use the toilet , a little itching , no pain when I sit , or walk. Also, is the lightened skin normal ? how long does an ob usually last ? 

• Kjaye
      By Kjaye
      So for starters I have had HSV1 on my mouth since I was a teenager and ten years later for HSV1 on my gums . So even though I know it is a small chance it passes to other body parts after years well it migrated to my mouth so it happens . So now to the point my partner and I both have Hsv1 he has it on his nose and me well lips and gums. 
      Last week thursday I got sugared in my lady area and the next day I developed one single bump on my labia . So Saturday I'm freaking out and go to doc she looks at it says it's a small cyst take some fucidin cream . I ask her to swab it she won't says no need. So off I go home put on the fucidin and it makes it itch an burn . I'm not happy with her to I go to walk in clinic again Sunday the and say I want it swabbed please .  So I'm waiting at home literally filled with anxiety for two days than Tuesday night I get the docs call the lab messed up and I have to redo the test . So I go back in and retake the test Tuesday night .  meanwhile this bumps is kinda staying the same but getting a little bigger it is itchy but not extremely . I can pee with no problem on itches to touch mostly or is bothersome if I touch it . Doesn't look like typical cold sore on my face at all.  So today is Thursday and I checked it this am looked the same now two hours later I check again and there is blood inside this blister on two sides dark purple blood.  Still itchy . My doc just called and says test was negative for herpes ..but part of me is worried what if when she swabed it two days ago there wasn't enough fluid BC there wasn't any just a sore . Am I over reacting should I swab it again or feel relief and move on to find out what it is which I'm going to anyway BC this is not normal also I'm not trying to be insensitive to anyone here . I signed up before I got the call and half way through writing this my doc called . I'm just really worries and anxious . Today will be one week I have had it .  Can anyone give me advice like was it to soon should I repeat test any thing is helpful . 
  • Trending Now

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• WilsoInAus
      Hey @Fernie hope you are going well. The doctor is spot on here. Many people with HSV-1 end up with slightly elevated results for HSV-2 that does not indicate infection with HSV-2. This persists from test to test for some people. The Westernblot would be useful to you, but will just confirm what is being said to you. Most people actually with HSV-2 test above 3.5 on those sorts of tests. 
    • Fernie
      Just got off the phone with a doctor and they said based off the history of my tests, it’s most likely a false positive.    they also said that because I have hsv1 that that could be causing the false positive 
    • ChattyB
      How do you know you have hsv-2 orally.  I read that having hsv-2 orally is highly unlikely. 
    • Fernie
      I’m so confused and don’t know what to do.    Sorry for posting here so much but I’m just lost.   I’ve tested normal on these dates 7/14/2020 0.72 IGG , 10/28/2020 0.89 IGG.    Then I tested low positive 6/6/2021 1.11 IGG.    I went back after that test to confirm the abnormal results on 7/29/2021 0.78 IGG were the results which led me to believe that the first abnormal results were just wrong.    Fast forward to now I just got my results back this morning from 11/27/2021 1.17 IGG, were the results. I’m just so confused, don’t know what to do. I’m going to have a consultation over the phone with a physician today and I also reached out to Terri from Westover Heights.    At this point I’m considering a western blot and I’m so paranoid I also signed up for another full panel std testing. I’m just so confused and stressed out.  Hope my buddy @WilsoInAus sees this  
    • ChattyB
      Did you find out what's going on. I'm having the same exact shit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.