Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Evictorious

Just diagnosed and struggling

I was just diagnosed this week. I am still wrapping my head around all of this. A week ago I just thought I had a yeast infection, multiple trips to the Dr, tons of swabs and test and now it's confirmed. My bloodwork IGG test showed positive hsv1 my swab test showed positive for hsv2. I do not know how I got this and that is so maddening to me. I was married for 15 years, and the last year got divorced, I have had mulitple sexual partners since then.  The majority of the time I used protection.  I met an amazing man that I have been dating for 4 months and he developed symptoms the same day I did. He has not seen a Dr and has not had very many sexual  partners in the last year.  Since the Hsv 2 did not show up in my blood work doesn't that limit the time since my own exposure? I feel so bad about this on top dealing with the dynamics and responsibilities I already have as a single mom. I really miss being able to have sex and I dont know if I will ever be able look at it the same and be as carefree as I was before this diagnosis.  I am really struggling with this. I have done tons of research but still have so many questions moving forward. My doctor was not very helpful, he gave me a RX for Valtrex and sent me out the door. 

Here are a few of my questions: Isn't Valtrex most effective taken immediately after a outbreak? I am on day 12 of symptoms and I am finally healing should I even bother taking it?

Is there something better/different then Valtrex I should take? 

Will I need to be on meds for the rest of my life?

Has anyone had any success with natural treatments? I am a vegan and I really dont like taking meds. 

Since my bloodwork didnt show hsv2 dosent that meant I have been exposed to it in the last 6 months?

Do I need to contact all my previous partners and tell them? even the ones I know I had safe sex with? 

I am worried about having a normal sex life again. Any tips? 

Please don't tell me to talk to my doctor. He frustrated me and was completely unable to answer my questions. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

The positive hsv1 blood test means you probably have oral hsv1 from childhood. Do you know what the value was for the blood test for hsv2? The positive swab may mean you recently got infected with hsv2. What kind of swab was it? culture or PCR? What symptoms did you have that was swabbed?

Do you have any estimate of when you would have been exposed with the virus? any days when you had a new partner or unprotected sex? You might want to wait at least 12 weeks, ideally 16 weeks (and in rare cases up to 24 weeks) to get another IgG blood test done for confirmation about hsv2.

In the meanwhile, if it is definitely hsv2, you're right, valtrex is most effective if taken as soon as symptoms start, no more than a day after symptoms start. Your body will adjust with time and you will likely not need to take it all your life, although that are people who take valtrex daily and do just fine. It all depends on how well your immune system can keep the virus in check. Do you ever get cold sores on your lips? If you don't, inspite of having oral hsv1, your immune system has learnt to keep hsv1 in check, and will eventually learn to do the same for hsv2. There are many natural alternatives, please read through the natural remedies section on this forum, it's a good place to start. No 2 people are same when it comes to natural remedies (or even valtrex for that matter) so you'll need to experiment and see what works best for you. By the way, the fist outbreak is the worst, so it's possible you may not even have another outbreak or may have outbreaks very rarely. The first year is usually the most outbreaks.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions.

Advertisement

So the hsv2 did not show up on the blood test, only the hsv 1, I never get cold sores so I would imagine I have been a carrier for a while. I saw two Doctors and both thought it was a yeast infection but the meds did not work so I asked about the blood work and swab culture for herpes. I never had blisters, just painful concave sores and lots of swelling and pain. What is PCR? I think it was a swab culture but I have not seen my lab results yet. 

I have been in a relationship for the last  14 weeks, we used condoms at first but stopped awhile ago.  I did have unprotected sex accidentally with someone the week before that so 15 weeks ago. It was casual and I'm not really sure how to even get a hold of him.  So it is possible the exposure could have come from him. My current boyfriend has only had one other sexual partner in the last year. I have no idea where this came from.

Thank you for your response. I will deffinitely check out the forums on natural things I can do. 

You mentioned your bf also had symptoms - what symptoms? did he get them swabbed? what's his blood test result?

He has not seen a Doctor and gotten any test or labs. Mostly because he does not have  health insurance so it's expensive. He had  a rash that turned into 4 sores that were similar to mine. He has had lots of pain and discomfort, his sores are slow to heal, they are still not gone yet. I haven't seen them. Our schedules are both super hectic so we don't get to see each other as often as we would like. 

4 hours ago, Evictorious said:

Here are a few of my questions: Isn't Valtrex most effective taken immediately after a outbreak? I am on day 12 of symptoms and I am finally healing should I even bother taking it?

If you're healing just hold on to the RX in case you have another OB

Is there something better/different then Valtrex I should take? 

Will I need to be on meds for the rest of my life?

*** Valtrex is probably the best but the generics are just as good for some. It depends on what you want to do and how your body responds to the virus. Some take only during OBs, some take as a daily suppressive. 

Has anyone had any success with natural treatments? I am a vegan and I really dont like taking meds. 

***Yes some have had great success in suppression with natural supplements. You can read through posts in that section (nature has a cure) for ideas. 

Since my bloodwork didnt show hsv2 dosent that meant I have been exposed to it in the last 6 months?

***Yes it does mean you were recently exposed. Probably within the timeframe you first noticed symptoms. Antibodies can take between two weeks (mine took 3 wks) to 4 months or longer to develop after symptoms.  

Do I need to contact all my previous partners and tell them? even the ones I know I had safe sex with? 

***Condoms don't fully protect from herpes, so if you were with multiple people around the time you first noticed what you thought was the yeast infection then you need to contact them. 

I am worried about having a normal sex life again. Any tips? 

***No tips personally but someone else here should be able to give you info 

Please don't tell me to talk to my doctor. He frustrated me and was completely unable to answer my questions. 

Answers in quoted post above. It sounds like you've been an asymptomatic carrier of HSV1 and you were just recently infected with HSV2

Advertisement

43 minutes ago, WTHerp said:

Answers in quoted post above. It sounds like you've been an asymptomatic carrier of HSV1 and you were just recently infected with HSV2

I have read with suppressive treatment and condoms it is 1% transmitted. I just got this recently as well. It sucks