Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
MoniqueLow

Reinfection with the same strain of hsv

As discussed many times here, there is an article about reinfection. Maybe the old hsv info is going to change as per reality, finally.

https://www.verywell.com/concurrent-oral-herpes-and-genital-herpes-infection-3132939

Despite knowing this, many people wonder if it's possible to be infected twice with the same type of herpes virus. They want to know if having a herpes oral infection caused by HSV-1 means they're protected from an HSV-1 herpes genital infections. Unfortunately, it doesn't. 

In short, cold sores don't protect against genital herpes. That's why it's very important to practice safe oral sex. This is particularly true if you have a partner with cold sores. However, many people have unrecognized herpes infections. Therefore, using barriers for oral sex is a good idea in general. 

@WilsoInAus  I know you are currently sweating and drumming up a response as we speak.  Before you do so, let's just agree that although reinfection is unlikely, it is 100% possible and all parties should take the necessary precautions and be as safe as possible.  Wilso - the evidence is overwhelming at this point.  If you could please refrain from insulting people and calling all Americans arrogant again, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

great find @MoniqueLow

Advertisement

These papers are not about reinfection. The papers included reference to infection at the same time. The journalist is just doing a beat up and the papers in no way support the comments being made. 

It is up to us to make sure the truth is relayed and not some made up nonsense.

The papers are very clear, take the following quote.

Data indicate that a person can be infected with the same strain of HSV-1 in two different sites at the same time.

This is indeed a well-documented occurrence. 

I know our readers will not be fooled by the author's erroneous use of the papers. Perhaps you better write to the author and correct her. That would be the decent thing to do. She isn't a medical doctor and has done no research into herpes herself. 

Edited by WilsoInAus

Comments from the article are in bold print.

"Data indicate that a person can be infected with the same strain of HSV-1 in two different sites at the same time."

When I saw this statement I wasn't sure whether they were talking about a reinfection, or simply infecting more than one area of the body during the first infection; i.e. Sometimes the phrase "at the same time" is not used properly; i.e. it doesn't necessarily literally mean "at the same time" So there was some ambiguity there.

That said, I get the feeling the author is talking about reinfection because of the following comment:
    " Common wisdom and some "experts" often say you can't be infected with herpes twice."

I don't think any experts ever believed that you can't infect different parts of the body with the same hsv, during the initial infection. No expert would ever say that; it makes no sense since in that scenario, there are no antibodies at the moment of infection. Of course you can infect a different part of your body before the antibodies are present.

Edited by Cas9

Hang on that is not quite right.

The first comment "Data indicate that a person can be infected with the same strain of HSV-1 in two different sites at the same time." is from the paper Embil JA, Manuel FR, McFarlane ES. Concurrent oral and genital infection with an identical strain of herpes simplex virus type 1. Restriction endonuclease analysis. Sex Transm Dis. 1981 Apr-Jun;8(2):70-2. Note that it is from 1981, nothing at all new there.

The second comment  "Common wisdom and some "experts" often say you can't be infected with herpes twice." is ambiguous and is opinion from the article author and is entirely unsubstantiated from the papers present. The article author is not a medical doctor and has not undertaken any herpes studies.

The author is simply trying to raise sexual health awareness with a bit of poetic licence. OK, but let's see it for what it is.

But this is straying from the ultimate point. For @MoniqueLow no matter how many articles from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s through to the present day that we may read and interpret and often misinterpret, no matter what the probability of reinfection is, you do not have genital herpes, pure and simple. No amount of threads and talking about it will change this.

This is all about being brave enough to embrace the truth and live reality - this is the ultimate gift to yourself and one we are all accountable for helping you achieve.

No, you're not getting it. The article states:
     "Common wisdom and some "experts" often say you can't be infected with herpes twice."

If this comment meant that some experts believe that a person can't be infected twice (i.e. at two different locations) during the initial OB, it would make no sense. No expert ever believed that. Obviously you can infect multiple areas of your body during the initial infection. Therefore, the above comment can only mean they are talking about reinfection. Now, you may not agree with them, but that's a different discussion.

Advertisement

I still do not know fully what you are talking about.

NONE of the papers refer to reinfection!

The article author is using sensationalism of possible reinfection to promote sexual health awareness in general.

The article means nothing more.

There is no discussion or advancement regarding reinfection. As you say that’s a whole other discussion and I look forward to seeing some sources on it. Hopefully involving someone with more knowledge, expertise and demonstrated research on the topic than a social worker.

OK, well I've explained it twice so I don't know how else to explain it. I'll leave it at that. We can just agree to disagree; What else is new :)

We all know there's no possible rational discussion with Wilson on this topic. I'm glad general information about hsv gets updated in online media. The message is clear: If you have partner with oral hsv (symptomatic or asymptomatic), you need to practice safe oral sex even if you have cold sores yourself. As in text (article below the main one).

"In short, cold sores don't protect against genital herpes. That's why it's very important to practice safe oral sex. This is particularly true if you have a partner with cold sores. However, many people have unrecognized herpes infections. Therefore, using barriers for oral sex is a good idea in general."

Edited by MoniqueLow

No that is utterly incorrect and a poor reflection of the reality.

The facts are that there has been no documented case of a person with an established oral HSV-1 infection becoming infected genitally with that type.

The odds are so incredibly low such that the risks are immeasurably outweighed by the pleasures of oral sex without protection on account of this issue.

@WilsoInAus yo tengo ohsv y ghsv tipo 1 por auto inoculación pero si tu pagas un examen completo de ohsv y ghsv yo me apunto para ser un conejillo y callarte la boca a ti y a los estúpidos expertos 

WilsonlnAus I have ohsv and ghsv type 1 by auto inoculation but if you pay a full exam of ohsv and ghsv I'm ready to be a guinea pig and shut your mouth to you and the stupid experts

1 hour ago, Atrapasueños said:

@WilsoInAus yo tengo ohsv y ghsv tipo 1 por auto inoculación pero si tu pagas un examen completo de ohsv y ghsv yo me apunto para ser un conejillo y callarte la boca a ti y a los estúpidos expertos 

WilsonlnAus I have ohsv and ghsv type 1 by auto inoculation but if you pay a full exam of ohsv and ghsv I'm ready to be a guinea pig and shut your mouth to you and the stupid experts

I think you need to follow your own advice here.

You have an oral HSV-1 infection, that appears to cause you no issues, that's all. You already have all the evidence you need to support that. You have demonstrated that multiple times with pictures are certainly not related to herpes.

I am not sure where all the anger comes from, but please reflect upon what makes you angry about being told the truth, that your symptoms are not related to herpes? What do you have to gain from believing you do? What do you fear about believing you do not have genital herpes?

1 hour ago, Seeker1960 said:

http://advocatesaz.org/2013/04/01/can-oral-herpes-be-spread-to-genitals/

Planned Parenthood seems to believe in the possibilty of reinfection. They treat thousands of cases so that should tell you something as to the possiblity.

But they have never published a case!?! Given they treat thousands, that must also tell you something about the possibility. In all the years of treating people, they have never seen it once!

They dont publish cases they treat cases. Terri Warren also uses the language "highly unusual" and "very unlikely" not "totally impossible". She also has seen people with HSV1 in more than one location. The likely explanation is that this can happen with an initial infection. That still doesn't exclude the possiblity of a secondary infection. Too many members here and other herpes forums like Herpes life have claimed to have had established OHSV1 and the later were infected genitally.

Take off your blinders. Something defy human understanding and explanation. People believe in many things that they have no studies of or proofs they exist. I think you would have been in the earth is flat crowd.

I AM AN EXAMPLE OF THIS HAPPENING. DONT GIVE A SHIT THAT IT MAY BE RARE, IT HAPPENS AND IT IS INSULTING FOR PEOPLE TO INFER OTHERWISE! 

6 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

This is all about being brave enough to embrace the truth and live reality - this is the ultimate gift to yourself and one we are all accountable for helping you achieve.

I think you've watched too many episodes of Oprah. @MoniqueLow isn't here to hire you as a life coach. This is a discussion about HSV. Can we stick to the topic, please?

32 minutes ago, Sillybrain2 said:

I AM AN EXAMPLE OF THIS HAPPENING. DONT GIVE A SHIT THAT IT MAY BE RARE, IT HAPPENS AND IT IS INSULTING FOR PEOPLE TO INFER OTHERWISE! 

No one is saying it doesn’t t happen, please read the thread for the issues.

11 minutes ago, diablo604 said:

I think you've watched too many episodes of Oprah. @MoniqueLow isn't here to hire you as a life coach. This is a discussion about HSV. Can we stick to the topic, please?

I’m sorry but that exactly the topic and subtext. The topic is the adverse impacts of delusional fears of HSV.

What are you doing to actually help people with this affliction?

2 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

I’m sorry but that exactly the topic and subtext. The topic is the adverse impacts of delusional fears of HSV.

What are you doing to actually help people with this affliction?

No, the topic is 'Reinfection with the same strain of HSV'

Might be best to read the articles and the papers and you’ll see it has nothing to do with reinfection. No stats, no studies, no case studies, no samples, no hypotheses, no facts... 

The topic of the article is sexual health awareness. That this was then used to attempt to confuse our readers to support o delusion. Readers of this thread can see that. Just because one can see does not mean one has vision!

The fact is that there are many anecdotal accounts of people with recent and long-standing oral HSV-1 infections spreading it to their genitals.

seal face.jpg

1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

Just because one can see does not mean one has vision!

This actually made me LOL. Did you order Chinese tonight and copy that off the fortune cookie? 

This isn’t funny. Everytime the OP makes a post about reinfection it is a cry for help to humanity. 

And you make a response like above ....

10 hours ago, Sanguine108 said:

The fact is that there are many anecdotal accounts of people with recent and long-standing oral HSV-1 infections spreading it to their genitals.

seal face.jpg

Wilso, is this you?