World's Largest Herpes Support Group
ToLiveAgain

Medication

ToLiveAgain

Hi good day everyone. 

I'm just looking for some info on medication use. I am presently not on any meds but I'm really taking it into consideration to slow these obs down.

My older sister thinks I shouldn't because of the long term side effects, but I read online that meds can be taken for a year and stopped.

I would just like to know from y'all what medication are y'all on, how long have you been on them and what side effects do you get if any. 

hopeing

I took acyclovir for a year, tend to get a bit thirsty, maybe a bit hot sometimes. Really its minimal difference to not being on meds in terms of side effects.

ToLiveAgain
2 minutes ago, hopeing said:

I took acyclovir for a year, tend to get a bit thirsty, maybe a bit hot sometimes. Really its minimal difference to not being on meds in terms of side effects.

How frequent did the obs come after taking them for the year?

hopeing

Well I tended to get maybe one major outbreak a month, but really I had symptoms most days if I really looked for them.

In the end I basically had to stop looking. 

The major outbreaks went down to about 3 times a year, but sill many minor outbreaks also.

Its not a simple yes / no thing for me, I'm having symptoms quite often, just either at very low levels or high levels.

Edited by hopeing

ToLiveAgain
1 hour ago, hopeing said:

Well I tended to get maybe one major outbreak a month, but really I had symptoms most days if I really looked for them.

In the end I basically had to stop looking. 

The major outbreaks went down to about 3 times a year, but sill many minor outbreaks also.

Its not a simple yes / no thing for me, I'm having symptoms quite often, just either at very low levels or high levels.

Ok thanks for your reply 

Thatguy604
7 hours ago, hopeing said:

How many grams of valtrex did you take daily? 500mg?

hopeing

I take 400mg of Acyclovir twice a day, once in morning and once at night.

Valtrex is supposed to have higher bio availability as its less hydrophobic.

I'm in the UK, the standard prescription in the UK is Acyclovir because its cheaper.

ToLiveAgain
6 hours ago, hopeing said:

I take 400mg of Acyclovir twice a day, once in morning and once at night.

Valtrex is supposed to have higher bio availability as its less hydrophobic.

I'm in the UK, the standard prescription in the UK is Acyclovir because its cheaper.

Thank you.