Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
kalifcs

newly diagnosed 3 weeks ago

hey all 30 male here from washington. i have the worst anxiety i have had in a while. all i can think about is how i could of avoided the situation, like literally i think about how i should of not hung out with the girl that gave me herpes and how i could of done something else that night. keeps killing me inside having a hard time sleeping. its on my mind all day at work, which is really not good because i work with heavy machinery and its long hours so i have to stay focused. im on anti virals right now and took a clonazepam from my mother. my brother and my mother are the only 2 people i have told. need some comforting words on how to get over this and put the "what if i did it different" thoughts behind me because i know theres nothing that can be done now. literally all i do in my free time now is research herpes treatments and cures and it keeps frustrating me because i know i wont get the answer i want. just having a hard time coping, thanks for reading my vent. 

Edited by kalifcs

There are many, many things in our lives from which anxiety can be derived. Herpes is one of these. However, just like those many things, herpes is not a reason to anxious, this is giving power to a fear.

I think you appreciate that anxiety is not a productive mindset/emotion however you prefer to term it. It consumes us and prevents us from adding bricks to our wall of happiness and joy.

I guess to help, it might be best to fully understand your herpes and what you can expect. How were you diagnosed and what has been your experience to date with herpes?

Advertisement

7 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

There are many, many things in our lives from which anxiety can be derived. Herpes is one of these. However, just like those many things, herpes is not a reason to anxious, this is giving power to a fear.

I think you appreciate that anxiety is not a productive mindset/emotion however you prefer to term it. It consumes us and prevents us from adding bricks to our wall of happiness and joy.

I guess to help, it might be best to fully understand your herpes and what you can expect. How were you diagnosed and what has been your experience to date with herpes?

You forgot to add if he has done igg blood test at 12 weeks. Thanks 

Ummm title says diagnosed 3 weeks ago, unless I misread something?

had a swab test, a urine test and a blood test. the swab test was positive and the urine and blood test came back negative. my experience over the last 3 weeks has been mentally exhausting. after i work my 10-12 hour shift i come home and research herpes and hope there is a cure in the works and by this time im usually tired enough to fall asleep. right when i wake up i think about the mistake i've made and it keeps me from getting back to sleep. so sleep has been my main problem since being diagnosed

Did you get confirmation as to type?

Did you engage in unprotected oral and vaginal sex with this girl? Is the relationship ongoing?

In the end, nothing here can be undone, however the future is as bright as it always was.

Advertisement

didnt get told what type. it was protected vaginal sex but unprotected oral. the condom had slipped up during intercourse but didnt come completely off.

yeah trying to make myself come to terms with that. sorry wasnt trying to create a depressing post just had to talk to someone and get some things off my chest. ur all life savers thanks for being supportive and listening. to be honest  i think its the stigma of it more than anything that makes me fear having it. 

Edited by kalifcs

6 hours ago, kalifcs said:

didnt get told what type. it was protected vaginal sex but unprotected oral. the condom had slipped up during intercourse but didnt come completely off.

yeah trying to make myself come to terms with that. sorry wasnt trying to create a depressing post just had to talk to someone and get some things off my chest. ur all life savers thanks for being supportive and listening. to be honest  i think its the stigma of it more than anything that makes me fear having it. 

Learning the type can be very helpful. In most cases- although some people have very different experiences- a genital HSV1 infection will recur less frequently than HSV2

@kalifcs  I feel you man, I do the exact same thing and I got it almost 3 months ago from sex with a condom.  That is why I am on this forum so much now because I live alone and single and herpes has consumed my life, especially because I have constant symptoms on my penis tip.  If it werent for that and I had lesions every few months like normal hsv people, I dont think I would be so depressed at home.  

I'm new to diagnosis too, just wanted to let you know I know the stress, regret & fear you're processing. Hopefully some of your research is teaching you more about management & helping you feel a little better. Glad you could talk to your mother & brother - I'm still scared to talk about it. How you doing now?

@fondazione, wow I had know idea you contracted wearing a condom. 

It's hard not having anyone to talk too and an emotional burden to deal with alone.

@_josafeen_, hi it's is very scary talking about and embarrassing. I can't under why it's nothing out to cure this....it has to be a cure we just know what it is

thanks all. im feeling a lot better now still get anxiety bouts here and there but last week was really hard to get through. it seems like its a time thing, i still at times just cant believe i got it. hopefully i completely get over this soon and get back to my normal routine. 

I was diagnosed visually on 11/7/17, though got a swab confirmation on 11/14/17. The forums on Honeycomb have been a saving grace for me as far as coming to terms with my diagnosis. 

I mean think about it... is this a death sentence? Are you any less valuable as a human being now than you were before being diagnosed? Do you know how common HSV is? 

There are so many people who go on to live a normal life, dating, getting married, having babies... you’re not an undesireable just because you’re a carrier. People get cold sores all the time yet we’re not shaming them because they have HSV

It will get easier... just remember you’ve got so many people who are here to support you in those low times. You will get through this.