Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
DoomedToSex

Blood tests are confusing

I was recently diagnosed with HSV-2 by viral culture swab. I've read that an IgG test will give me a better perspective on how long I've had it. My OB was very minor, no pain and 2 blusters. I just got a call from my doctor saying that my blood results showed i have both HSV-1 and HSV-2. I've never had any outbreaks on my mouth. Could I have gotten HSV-1 as a child and then gotten HSV-2 as an adult? Can someone have both viruses in different locations or in the same location? I've been with my partner for 4 years now and we've had oral sex, wouldn't he have HSV-1 on his genitals? 

Thank you

The first thing I would do is get hold of the blood tests so you can understand the result further. You are looking for strong results on type specific IgG results for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Let's assume you have both types, this looks likely.

Many people with oral HSV-1 were infected before living memory and do not have any living memory of an oral outbreak. Further, one of the reasons why so many people are unaware of their genital HSV-2 is because of the HSV-1 antibodies which for some people mean they can pass off the initial infection as say is a pimple.

There is hence a reasonable chance you have had both viruses for some time, including prior to this partner.

Transmission chances are low when there are no lesions present. 1 in 1,000s per episode. Your partner's herpes status could be anything. He may already have oral HSV-1, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 or neither! Is he going to test?

Advertisement

10 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

The first thing I would do is get hold of the blood tests so you can understand the result further. You are looking for strong results on type specific IgG results for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Let's assume you have both types, this looks likely.

Many people with oral HSV-1 were infected before living memory and do not have any living memory of an oral outbreak. Further, one of the reasons why so many people are unaware of their genital HSV-2 is because of the HSV-1 antibodies which for some people mean they can pass off the initial infection as say is a pimple.

There is hence a reasonable chance you have had both viruses for some time, including prior to this partner.

Transmission chances are low when there are no lesions present. 1 in 1,000s per episode. Your partner's herpes status could be anything. He may already have oral HSV-1, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 or neither! Is he going to test?

Yes, he is going to get tested with an IgG test. Its just confusing. Like I said, never an OB on my mouth and the genital sores came out if no where. We've had unprotected sex many many times in the past 4 years. What does it mean if he tested negative for both?

Herpes status is black and white in the sense that a person with has the virus or does not. Sometimes testing is ambiguous but that’s rare.

A good immune system is capable of resulting in no symptoms. For nearly everyone this is true most days of the year. For some, at times, the virus overwhelms the immune system and symptoms occur. Commonly lesions but sometimes other issues also occur.

Sexual episodes represent a low chance ignoring infection. About 50% of couples where one has herpes and the other doesn’t will not transmit the virus over the course of 50 years of marriage.

It is entirely possible that your partner is negative. Equally he may have HSV-1, HSV-2 or both. Great that you’ll know soon.