Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
_josafeen_

First OB & awaiting official results

Went to urgent care today & have been told it looks like herpes. Have started meds & struggling through first OB. Feeling really down, alone, upset & in pain. I know it will get better as meds take effect & I learn more about management moving forward. Just so depressed now, it's really tough. Glad I found this support group. Any advice on managing physical & mental challenges if first OB greatly appreciated.

First know you are not alone.  About 20% of Americans have HSV2 and 60% have HSV1 (mostly oral).  So there are many of us out there that have been where you are.  

Know you are still the same person, this is a virus like chicken pox that you likely had or were vaccinated against.  Not something that alters who you are.  

Related to managing, it likely depends on the symptoms.  If you have pain urinating, consider doing it in the shower or bring wet wipes to clean yourself after.  Desitin can provide a shield of the lesions while urinating as well.  

Take pain meds, and keep clean.  Be careful to wash after touching area.   Let as much air reach the area as possible (go commando, where loose clothes etc. ). 

To sleep / control itch you can take benedryl or NyQuil.  Sleep is impOrtant.  

Advertisement

Ice packs with a washcloth wrapped around it can help as well. Many people find relief with coconut oil on lesions, and it also can act as a barrier when urinating (much like what Scooby mentioned for destin)

The AVs will kick in in about 24 hrs and help relieve symptoms.

As far as needing to disclose or talk about it, there are a ton of people on here who can offer help and personal stories about it.

12 hours ago, Scooby2112 said:

First know you are not alone.  About 20% of Americans have HSV2 and 60% have HSV1 (mostly oral).  So there are many of us out there that have been where you are.  

Know you are still the same person, this is a virus like chicken pox that you likely had or were vaccinated against.  Not something that alters who you are.  

Related to managing, it likely depends on the symptoms.  If you have pain urinating, consider doing it in the shower or bring wet wipes to clean yourself after.  Desitin can provide a shield of the lesions while urinating as well.  

Take pain meds, and keep clean.  Be careful to wash after touching area.   Let as much air reach the area as possible (go commando, where loose clothes etc. ). 

To sleep / control itch you can take benedryl or NyQuil.  Sleep is impOrtant.  

Thanks so much for taking time to reply. I'm in a scary new playing field & tbh - I hate sports & feel completely tricked into being here as a player in this completely crappy game. I know in time I'll wrap my head around it, but I'm reeling RN. So messages like yours really help - thank you - sincerely - for your time, & calm advice. Means a lot. 

11 hours ago, WannaCry said:

Ice packs with a washcloth wrapped around it can help as well. Many people find relief with coconut oil on lesions, and it also can act as a barrier when urinating (much like what Scooby mentioned for destin)

The AVs will kick in in about 24 hrs and help relieve symptoms.

As far as needing to disclose or talk about it, there are a ton of people on here who can offer help and personal stories about it.

Thanks for your words of advice & support. Feeling really lost & with pain on top it's hard to manage. I'll keep checking in here & keep your words in mind. Pretty frightened about telling my brand new boyfriend. So will be looking at disclosure stuff today. *sigh* Really, thanks again.

Advertisement

Also I'm having difficulty eating - i have no appetite at all - is that common?

1 hour ago, _josafeen_ said:

Also I'm having difficulty eating - i have no appetite at all - is that common?

Yes for me it was.  It lasted about 2 weeks.  I tried to just eat good and softer foods like yogurt, which is high in lysine and a probiotic.  I also ate more soups.  This was easier than bigger meals.  Also keeps you more hydrated.  If you are on antivirals you need to keep hydrated.  

29 minutes ago, Scooby2112 said:

Yes for me it was.  It lasted about 2 weeks.  I tried to just eat good and softer foods like yogurt, which is high in lysine and a probiotic.  I also ate more soups.  This was easier than bigger meals.  Also keeps you more hydrated.  If you are on antivirals you need to keep hydrated.  

Thanks again - much appreciated. Seeing my doctor tomorrow who I will quiz. Really thankful for your responses, really.