World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Phoenixx

Zostavax against HSV2

Phoenixx

I will receive the Zostavax Shingles Vaccine at 1st of December and report about my GHSV outbreaks here.

Currently I'm on Famciclovir. I found 2 sources that recommend stopping the treatment for Zostavax:

"Delay Zostavax® until 2 days after administration of these antiviral agents.  Ideally, antiviral therapy should be avoided for 14-28 days following administration of Zostavax®. "

"Subject taking any non-topical antiviral therapy with activity against herpes viruses, including but not limited to acyclovir, famciclovir, valacyclovir, and ganciclovir 3 days prior to vaccination or 14 days after*."

So I think I will stop the pills 3 days in advance. 28 days of waiting afterwards seems long. I really hope it will reduce my outbreaks, otherwise it seems not tolerable to wait that long. But if I continue to have outbreaks I guess that means it didn't help anyway...

Phoenixx

Recent outbreak history before vaccination:

Outbreak-free from April 17 to September 17 on suppressive Acyclovir therapy (1x to 2x 400mg daily)

Beginning of September: Small outbreak on transition between penis foreskin and penis mucosa despite suppressive therapy with small bursted blisters. Stopped treatment testwise which resulted in a bigger outbreak -> treated with stronger Acyclovir course: first pill 800mg, then 400mg 3 to 4 times daily -> strong diarrhea

Mid september to mid october: No OB on continuous Acyclovir treatment with lasting diarrhea as side effect, intestinal flora heavily damaged. Stopped Acyclovir treatment completely then and started intestinal flora treatment (Saccharomyces Cerevisae "Perenterol" + lactic acid bacteria "Darmflora plus select"/"Granoflor").

20.10.2017: OB on transition zone between dam and inner thighs, about 1 week with bursting blisters

06.11.2017: OB on transition between penis foreskin and penis mucosa. Development of blisters with bursting within only 4 days. Ulcers took until 13.11. to heal (dried out with Acyclovir cream in the end).

10.11.2017: OB on glans -> eliminated with Valacyclovir 125mg within a few days, no bursting of blisters -> still gastrointestinal side-effects (bloating/mild diarrhea)

11.11.2017: OB on shaft -> eliminated with Valacyclovir 125mg within a few days, no bursting of blisters -> still gastrointestinal side-effects (bloating/mild diarrhea)

Mid November to 1st December: No to max. mild fleeting outbreaks with small red spots on Famvir 1x125mg daily -> almost no gastrointestinal side-effects

28.11.2017: Last Famvir pill in the morning before stopping treatment in order to receive Zostavax vaccine on 1st December.

31.11.2017: OB developing on glans

Vaccination:

A few hours after vaccination I started to feel quite sleepy at work, which is not uncommon for vaccines, I had that before with other vaccines already. This vaccine seems to be a real hammer for the body appearently though. Around 10 hours after the shot it really started kicking in. Fever raised and I lied in my bed shivering like crazy. During the night a terrible migraine developed as well. The whole next day it knocked me out: I still had fever and the migraine was very painful, I couldn't even eat anything. The following night I started sweating a lot because the fever was going down. Today the migraine is finally gone, some fever is still there... I never had such a reaction to a vaccine and I even had chicken pox when I was a child... Don't know if that is because it is actually meant for older people (I'm 32) with a weaker immune system and thus a weaker reaction to it. Or might it just be a strong immune build up process against the Herpes family? I wish... The OB on glans hasn't faded away though. It didn't develop a lot further either. Maybe it's still too early to make a connection between the OB and the vaccine because the body would need some time.

Advertisement

Phoenixx

Fever has almost diseappeared meanwhile. The current outbreak fleeted away.

Scooby2112

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Edited by Scooby2112

Phoenixx

I discovered about 10 new tiny bumps on the shaft mucosa, very mild pain when touching... let's see how it goes.

Advertisement

Phoenixx
    13 hours ago, Scooby2112 said:

Wishing you luck

When you say shaft mucosa, f

Do you mean the glans area?

No, below the glans.

The bumps are turning into small blisters now and even new ones are developing. I think it is safe to conclude that the Zostavax didn't help in detecting HSV-2 properly.

I'm not sure if I will wait the recommended 14 days before continuing Acyclovir treatment.

Scooby2112

Is that skin below the glans the only area you typically get outbreaks?   

Scooby2112

Sorry it sounds like you are still seeing an OB.  But continue to report. 

Maybe your OB frequency or severity will decrease.  

friendlyboy
    6 hours ago, Phoenixx said:

No, below the glans.

The bumps are turning into small blisters now and even new ones are developing. I think it is safe to conclude that the Zostavax didn't help in detecting HSV-2 properly.

I'm not sure if I will wait the recommended 14 days before continuing Acyclovir treatment.

It is not unusual to have stronger symptoms just after vaccination, don't expect the effect, if any, to be immediate. hsv requires a lot of patience.

doh!

I had the vaccine and, in my experience, it does not do what you are hoping it will.

That said, I do have less outbreaks- but I've had hsv2 since '09 and symptoms do usually lessen. I'm not sure that Zostavax "took" in my case. It is not always effective. 
    I did have a reaction after the vaccine. Not as severe though and not until the second day.

Phoenixx

The outbreak is becoming as bad as usually. What makes me believe that the vaccine doesn't work is that the outbreak didn't start while my body was strained by fighting the mutated shingles virus, but after the worst was over. In the reports of the people who benefitted from the vaccine they had an outbreak within 24 hours and later nothing happened for a longer time.

Do you think it still makes a difference for the effect now if I go back on antivirals or not?

Phoenixx

I'm going through the outbreak without meds. Blisters have bursted and I accelerated the drying of the ulcers with acyclovir creme and a blow dryer. Today I think the sores are finally inactive and the healing phase has started.

I will wait until hints of a next outbreak appear and then go back on Famvir.

Phoenixx

The outbreak has just healed and now the next red dot is already appearing on glans.

doh!
    On 12/5/2017 at 8:56 PM, doh! said:

I had the vaccine and, in my experience, it does not do what you are hoping it will.

That said, I do have less outbreaks- but I've had hsv2 since '09 and symptoms do usually lessen. I'm not sure that Zostavax "took" in my case. It is not always effective. 
    I did have a reaction after the vaccine. Not as severe though and not until the second day.

I should have added that my doc recommended the vaccine using the simple logic that my immune system would be less compromised since it would have one less strain of herpes to deal with. Makes sense.

Phoenixx

Thanks for your opinions.

The red spot has vanished, so I still remain medication free since the vaccination. I will at least be able to complete the recommended 2 med-free weeks.

Phoenixx

I remain 18 days med-free after vaccination now. Now the next round of red spots is appearing on glans and shaft. I doubt that the Zostavax had any effect on HSV-2. If the spots continue growing, I will start Famvir tomorrow.

Scooby2112

When you say red spots, is that what you mean as pre blister? Do they itch or cause any discomfort?   

Phoenixx

Yes, preblisters. No itching, no discomfort. That's why I can't anticipate outbreaks and episodic treatment is usually too late. At some point they start hurting slightly when they grow into blisters.

This afternoon at work I had some mild flu-like symptoms. I was unusually tired and felt cold, then at home I took a nap for 2 hours. Don't know if I'm getting a cold or something. I really hope it's not a cold and instead it's my body fighting herpes. I never had flu-like symptoms from herpes, not even during the first outbreak which was really bad.

Scooby2112

Thanks and sorry you're having the flu like symptoms.   

Hope you can get some rest and feel better.  

Phoenixx

I didn't get a cold, but the emerging outbreak has disappeared. So my latter assumption was correct apperently: the flu-like symptoms were the immune system fighting herpes away. Today I have migraine, not sure if it's connected, just mentioning it because it was a strong side effect of the Zostavax vaccine, too.

Continuing day 19 without antivirals.

Edited by Phoenixx

Phoenixx

Well, I have to make a correction: I was right and and wrong at the same time: I have a sore throat now, so it is indeed a cold coming... but anyway, the immune system eliminated all preblisters of the recent herpes outbreak.