World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Phoenixx

Zostavax against HSV2

friendlyboy
7 hours ago, Phoenixx said:

I didn't get a cold, but the emerging outbreak has disappeared. So my latter assumption was correct apperently: the flu-like symptoms were the immune system fighting herpes away. Today I have migraine, not sure if it's connected, just mentioning it because it was a strong side effect of the Zostavax vaccine, too.

Continuing day 19 without antivirals.

Have you ever experienced such OB disappearing before while not on AVs?

Phoenixx
1 hour ago, friendlyboy said:

Have you ever experienced such OB disappearing before while not on AVs?

I remember that it happened years ago already when I didn't have antivirals yet. But then there were multiple outbreaks in row, overlaying each other: first a few blisters, then the following outbreak with countless preblisters while the blisters of the first one were still there. At that point the immune system starting fighting the countless preblisters and they disappeared. The skin became reddish and dry then.

I don't remember outbreaks disappearing at such an early stage for a "standalone" outbreak though when not on antivirals like now. That doesn't necessarily mean that Zostavax improved the situation though because what I don't know is if all the outbreaks that I fought with antivirals this year were actually mainly defeated by the antivirals or the immune system. The dose I used was quite low all the time because the meds are giving me strong side effects. I can't tolerate more than 125mg Famciclovir, 250mg Valaciclovir or 400mg Acyclovir at a time. One could argue that that amount is not really enough to fight an active outbreak. I know for sure that it was helping me though because the outbreaks hardly ever managed to turn into actual blisters. But it's very possible that SOME of the many outbreaks that disappeared in preblister stage would have disappeared anyway even without meds.

Only if the current pattern is becoming the new standard from now on we can assume an improvement due to Zostavax.

Phoenixx

Another outbreak arrived yesterday/today and is fleeting away in preblister stage.

Phoenixx

December summary (Vaccination on 1st Dec):

Full outbreaks with bursting blisters: 1

Outbreaks fleeting away in preblister stage: 3

Happy new year!

Phoenixx

Yesterday migraine, today some throat issues and tiredness, maybe there is a cold coming. But there's also a reddish area of skin between foreskin and shaft. Let's see what's coming.

Jay2255

Any thoughts to get the Shingrix vaccine? Or I guess you can’t since you got the Zostivax.

Reduced PHN?

Edited by Jay2255

Phoenixx

Now there are 8 blisters developing next to each other... bad beginning of the year. I guess the time of Famvir is coming back now.

7 hours ago, Jay2255 said:

Any thoughts to get the Shingrix vaccine? Or I guess you can’t since you got the Zostivax.

Reduced PHN?

I will get Shingrix as soon as it's available in Europe. I doubt it will help though.

I don't have PHN.

Phoenixx

It's a full outbreak, the blisters have grown big. I lanced them with a needle and put acyclovir creme. Then I will do the blow drying thing again until the sores are gone... What a life is this?

Edited by Phoenixx

Jay2255

4 minutes ago, Phoenixx said:

It's a full outbreak, the blisters have grown big. I lanced them with a needle and put acyclovir creme. Then I will do the blow drying thing again until the sores are gone... What a life is this?

How picture blow drying HSV.

Phoenixx

Outbreak is healing away now.

Today I have migraine again. I wonder if there is a connection between migraine and outbreaks. Recently it was connected I think. It doesn't necessarily mean that herpes is causing migraine or that migraine is causing herpes, but maybe it's an indication that the immune system is weakened in gerenal so that herpes has a chance to come out. Let's see if another outbreak will come now. If I see blisters forming I will definitely go back to antivirals this time.

On 6.1.2018 at 1:30 PM, Jay2255 said:

How picture blow drying HSV.

With an electric blow dryer.

Phoenixx

Another preblister appeared. I will go on episodic treatment from now on and see if the migraine can successfully announce the outbreaks. Just took 125mg Famvir.

Edited by Phoenixx

Phoenixx

Thanks for the tip. I can't do that though because 250mg of Famvir is giving me side effects already. If I took 1g at a time I'm sure it would knock me out for a day or two with headache, nausea, diarrhea and probably vomiting.

Phoenixx

No outbreaks on Famvir 125mg daily since >1 month.

Conclusion: Zostavax failed.

doh!

I had Zostavax.
Recovering from full blown shingles, so that was something of a fail.
No hsv2 ob though, so  that may be a win.

Divon
On 2018-01-06 at 1:22 PM, Phoenixx said:

Hey, How often do you tend to get these fluid filled blisters and the lance them with a needle method, should you really be doing that?

Phoenixx

recently had a mild outbreak with blisters despite taking 125mg Famvir.

Phoenixx

another outbreak last week due to the flu (real flu with fever for about a week). surprisingly i didn't see any blisters, only the ulcers. maybe the blisters developed and bursted very quickly during some phase of weekness.

friendlyboy
On 5/7/2018 at 12:05 AM, Phoenixx said:

another outbreak last week due to the flu (real flu with fever for about a week). surprisingly i didn't see any blisters, only the ulcers. maybe the blisters developed and bursted very quickly during some phase of weekness.

So it seems you are having a full blown OB approximately every 2 months, despite suppressive AV treatment.

If it is of any help, my current valacyclovir regime is 250 mg/8 h. It has seemed effective at keeping lesions from growing bigger than preblister stage for 3 months now (previously I was taking 250 mg/6 h)

Phoenixx

I had another small outbreak a week ago after "extended intercourse".

Appearently Famvir 125 is a bit less effective than Valacyclovir 250 for me which on the one hand shouldn't be the case according to public dosing regimes, but on the other hand is suggested by a study comparing the two. Famvir also has slightly less side effects on my stomach I think which I believed to be because of higher bio availability. But in case the side effects just lessen proportionally with effectivity, there would be no point in taking the more expensive Famvir instead of Valacyclovir anymore.

Phoenixx

No more oubreaks beyond preblister stage since end of may on Valacyclovir 250mg 2x daily.

Taking it right after breakfast and dinner seems to reduce headache and stomach issues. When taking it after alcohol consumption the side effects are strong.

Phoenixx

very quick outbreak with red areas and small hurting red dots today (not regular blisters yet) despite taking valacyclovir and no alcohol. it happened after having had sex last night and this morning.

i assume that it will disappear quickly because i took another 250mg of valacyclovir right away, so the morning dose was 500mg in total.

Phoenixx

it's about to disappear completely now, even though there were quite a lot of tiny preblisters. the quick outbreak looked quite threatening at first. shocking how fast this evil virus can attack, but also amazing how good valacyclovir works if taken immediately. i probably have to increase the dosage in order to prevent these happenings.

friendlyboy
On 9/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, Phoenixx said:

it's about to disappear completely now, even though there were quite a lot of tiny preblisters. the quick outbreak looked quite threatening at first. shocking how fast this evil virus can attack, but also amazing how good valacyclovir works if taken immediately. i probably have to increase the dosage in order to prevent these happenings.

In my experience the active OB phase takes around 6-8 h to become noticeable. Valacyclovir takes around half an hour to reach maximum plasma concentration

Btw, I recently did a controlled experiment and found topical application of zinc acetate solution effective to prevent this kind of OBs on me. It is dirt cheap and has zero risks, you could try the same and see if it makes a difference. I published a post about it: