I have herpes, my bf does not.

ThatOneGuyWho

I’m a 24 year old gay male. I was diagnosed in May. I just got back into the dating scene and the guy that I’m seeing at the moment doesn’t have herpes. I do. He’s my first real “love” interest with me having this affliction. We haven’t done anything but mess around as safely as I can; there has been no direct contact at all. He did know I have herpes before we ever even kissed and he said he’s ok with it but I just feel horrible. I’m not certain if I want to spend the rest of my life with him or not because we just started talking/dating but the prospect of giving him herpes is killing me. Sex is/was the way I usually could tell if I wanted to keep someone around. The idea of possibly leading him on and then dumping him after giving him herpes makes me want to cry... He’s a good guy and doesn’t deserve that.

I guess I’m just posting this to ask for advice. I know I can just go though life fearing I’d give everyone this or I’ll never truly connect with someone but it’s just hard. I truly care about others. 

There are some very good pamphlets about transmission risks. While they talk about heterosexual couples, the stats would work as well for gay men I think. H.erpes O.pportunity has put them out for free on the internet. They contain information from a multi year discordant couple study that Valtrex's maker did.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• CHT
      so, you tested positive for GHSV1 via the swab test?  Not by an IgG antibody blood test? Are the OBs severe?  Are they coming often?    GHSV1 in its initial stages (early infection) can cause outbreaks.... the good news is that your odds of outbreaks is significantly lower than those with HSV2 and the number of outbreaks are also much less with GHSV1 than HSV2 especially as time goes on.... on average you may see only one outbreak per year versus 4 to 5 for those with HSV2.... the severity of the outbreaks from GHSV1 are also milder than HSV2 (you may not even notice them with time or go completely asymptomatic).  You may not even need antivirals as time goes on. 
    • Liv25
      The chapstick is called Docoshield and it is on Amazon. Just wanted to pass this along! I have been using this and it brings me a lot of comfort and it has excellent reviews. They also made this chapstick with lysine in it. Hope this helps anyone who needs it! 
    • BabyGirl
      I just stared dating someone who does not have HSV.How long after the sore is healed should I wait before having sex?  I’ve had HSV2 for over 10 years. I rarely have outbreaks going months even years until recently. When I do I get some tingles and one sore in the same spot. But recently, In the last 3 months it’s happened twice. 🤦🏼‍♀️
    • JDMT_176
      If you want to know whats going on when applying it, this was the only study I found describing it. Hard to read through as very technical, but am copy paste parts I found of use. Tables also useful to show which genes are expressed more.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6416766/   "A petrolatum donut was applied with a cotton swab to form about a 1 cm diameter donut on skin on the inner aspect of the upper arm. Then a separate cotton swab was dipped in a 2% SADBE solution (w/v) in DMSO, and the swab was then used to apply about 10–20 mg of solution over about a 1 cm diameter circle within the petrolatum donut. Immediately after application, the application site was covered with TEGADERM. Subjects were advised to remove the TEGADERM and rinse and wipe the spot 3 h later.   "Thus in essentially every case, the SADBE treatment changed the group A subjects by day 57 to make them much more like the group B and C subjects who have better immune control of their HSV‐1 infection than the group A subjects were on day 1.   "Others have previously shown that CD8+ T cells are important in controlling herpes labialis outbreaks.23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 Our data are consistent with this. The helper/cytotoxic cell ratio (CD4+/CD8+ ratio) was 5.25 in group A versus 3.07 and 3.15, respectively in groups B and C (Table (Table3).3). The P‐value is less than 0.20 for comparisons of group A to both groups B and C, and if groups B and C are pooled and compared to group A the P‐value is 0.065, almost significant. This is consistent with prior evidence discussed below that CD8+ T cells are important and effective in controlling HSV recurrences.   "Consistent with our finding lower anti‐HSV‐1 IgG levels correlate with better control of HSV‐1 outbreaks, Spruance et al. also found lower serum anti‐HSV‐1 antibodies in HSV seropositive patients with a history of frequent herpes labialis than in seropositive persons with no history of herpes labialis.33   "Several prior reports also found IFN‐gamma to be important in controlling HSV infection and reducing HSV outbreaks. Dobbs et al28 showed that CD8+ T cells were able to clear an HSV‐2 infection in transgenic mice, but that efficacy was blocked in vivo by anti‐IFNG IgG. Liu et al31 showed that CD8+ T‐cells could prevent HSV‐1 reactivation from latency in excised trigeminal ganglia (TG), and that IFN‐gamma protein was produced by the CD8+ T cells, and that neutralization of IFN‐γ significantly enhanced the rate of HSV‐1 reactivation from latency in TG cultures. Spruance et al33 found that IFN‐gamma protein levels in PBMC supernatants stimulated with HSV‐1‐infected cell extracts were lower in frequent herpes labialis sufferers than HSV‐1 seropositive controls, consistent with the present result for IFNG gene expression in PBMC stimulated with heat‐killed HSV‐1. McKenna et al7 assayed IFN‐gamma in medium of PBMCs cultured in vitro and stimulated with inactivated HSV‐1 and found IFN‐gamma was at higher concentrations in medium of PBMCs from infrequent herpes labialis sufferers than frequent sufferers, also consistent with our findings. Cunningham et al34 showed higher interferon levels (including alpha, gamma, and lambda) in supernatants of PBMCs stimulated with heat‐killed HSV‐1 virus correlated with longer time to next herpes labialis recurrence. Carr et al35 showed that transgenic expression of IFNG could prevent HSV‐1 reactivation in a mouse model.
    • JDMT_176
      Hi Kurdt- I was thinking back in 2018-2019 there was several threads from viral frog that he was applying a 2% solution very frequently. Like several times a week. From what I gather- it didnt work for him at the time. I think too much applied caused immune chaos or something.  The most recent Square X trial was terminated but this was the dosing frequency that was used in the trial below: I was planning on using Group C protocol. Group A is most frequent. Something to think about.  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT03521479?term=squarex&draw=1&rank=4   Protocol:  Arm/Group Title Group A Group B Group C Group D  Arm/Group Description Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 2% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 0.5% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0, month 3, and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months).   Adverse Reaction Table: Arm/Group Title Group A Group B Group C Group D  Arm/Group Description: Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 2% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 0.5% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0, month 3, and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Overall Number of Participants Analyzed 10 10 10 10 Measure Type: Number Unit of Measure: events         Localized reaction (rash, erythema, itching/pruritus, warmth/burning) at application site 24 14 17 6 Generalized adverse events (related, possible or greater) 2 3 1 0 Generalized adverse event (unrelated) 4 7 6 4  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.