Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Djjd

Help me understand my results

Hi, just want confirmation. I believe i am positive now. Just want opinions.

I had herpes symtoms took an antibodies test a week after exposure, results were as follows

H.s.v 1 (IgG) 0.302 index
    H.s.v ii (IgG) <0.500 index

Negative: < 0.9
    Equivocal 0.9-1.1
    Positive > 1.1

My testt results at 4 weeks are

Hsv 1 (IgG)0.229
    Hsv 2 (IgG)1.02

Negative: < 0.9
    Equivocal 0.9-1.1
    Positive > 1.1

Comments: equivocal hsv results

Question is, am i positive?

Thanks for replies

Advertisement

Your hsv2 igG has increased from <0.5 to 1.02 in just a month, that's more significant than just the igG value alone. It is very likely you are positive.

1 minute ago, friendlyboy said:

Your hsv2 igG has increased from <0.5 to 1.02 in just a month, that's more significant than just the igG value alone. It is very likely you are positive.

Thanks for the reply dude. Yh i figured as much. Oh well

7 minutes ago, Djjd said:

Thanks for the reply dude. Yh i figured as much. Oh well

Sorry for the bad news. The only thing you can do now is to have some valacyclovir at hand and wait to see how frequent and bad or mild your OBs are..

14 minutes ago, friendlyboy said:

Sorry for the bad news. The only thing you can do now is to have some valacyclovir at hand and wait to see how frequent and bad or mild your OBs are..

My first was fairly mikd althoughi was on valtrex and i applied zoviariax to the sores. I just hope i dont get outbreaks often. Thanks again

Advertisement

Hi mate

A positive on a blood test for HSV-2 needs to be above say 3.5. You are hence not confirmed positive.

There is an open question as to whether this is a blip caused by rogue proteins or whether seroconversion is being observed. 

Only a 12 week test will shed further light.

The chances will depend on the exposure and symptoms.

8 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hi mate

A positive on a blood test for HSV-2 needs to be above say 3.5. You are hence not confirmed positive.

There is an open question as to whether this is a blip caused by rogue proteins or whether seroconversion is being observed. 

Only a 12 week test will shed further light.

The chances will depend on the exposure and symptoms.

Thanks for the reply.

Exposure was high risk. Unprotected sex with multiple partners.

And symptoms were non painful blisters that lasted a week and swolleb lymph nodes.

IIs it even worth taking a test at 4 weeks. Should this accept this as a positive diagnoses, bearing in mind 9-10 doctors, would, in my opinion, have visually diagnosed as herpes 

7 minutes ago, Djjd said:

My first was fairly mikd althoughi was on valtrex and i applied zoviariax to the sores. I just hope i dont get outbreaks often. Thanks again

The literature says the first OB is a predictor of how bad future OBs will be, in theory they tend to be milder. I hope you have infrequent and mild ones but there is no way to know. I also had a very mild first OB, also on AVs after the first week, but it was very long (40 days). Since then, I have almost continuous OBs, usually mild but they seem to be getting stronger as time goes.

I wish you the best luck

1 minute ago, friendlyboy said:

The literature says the first OB is a predictor of how bad future OBs will be, in theory they tend to be milder. I hope you have infrequent and mild ones but there is no way to know. I also had a very mild first OB, also on AVs after the first week, but it was very long (40 days). Since then, I have almost continuous OBs, usually mild but they seem to be getting stronger as time goes.

I wish you the best luck

So your fisrt outbreak lasted 40 days? Hearing your story worries me abit. I thought because of my mild outbreak to begin with, id likely have 1 or two a year that cleared up quickly  ir better yet, no outbreaks for years

1 minute ago, Djjd said:

So your fisrt outbreak lasted 40 days? Hearing your story worries me abit. I thought because of my mild outbreak to begin with, id likely have 1 or two a year that cleared up quickly  ir better yet, no outbreaks for years

Yes, I have visible lesions most of the time. During the first 5 months I only had 2 weeks with no visible symptoms, last month just a couple of lesions on the buttocks each weekend, but now apparently on continuous OB again after a very bad lesion (almost bursting blister) last weekend, even on 2 gr valacyclovir/day.

Your first OB was a primary one, mine was a first recurrent OB, so probably you are going to have much better luck than I had.

8 minutes ago, Djjd said:

IIs it even worth taking a test at 4 weeks. Should this accept this as a positive diagnoses, bearing in mind 9-10 doctors, would, in my opinion, have visually diagnosed as herpes 

Consider it an extremely likely positive, so whether it is worth or not to finally confirm the seroconversion depends on how much it would cost you. Over here igG blood tests just cost around 20€, so it is a non issue.

14 minutes ago, friendlyboy said:

Yes, I have visible lesions most of the time. During the first 5 months I only had 2 weeks with no visible symptoms, last month just a couple of lesions on the buttocks each weekend, but now apparently on continuous OB again after a very bad lesion (almost bursting blister) last weekend, even on 2 gr valacyclovir/day.

Your first OB was a primary one, mine was a first recurrent OB, so probably you are going to have much better luck than I had.

Consider it an extremely likely positive, so whether it is worth or not to finally confirm the seroconversion depends on how much it would cost you. Over here igG blood tests just cost around 20€, so it is a non issue.

Hopefully youre right.

Tests in the uk are ridiculous. I paid 130 gdp for each igg test. Not to mention the other tests i had.

1 minute ago, Djjd said:

Hopefully youre right.

Tests in the uk are ridiculous. I paid 130 gdp for each igg test. Not to mention the other tests i had.

For that amount of money you could:

get on a low cost plane and come here: 80 €

stay a couple of nights: 80 €

have some breakfast, lunch and diner two days: 40 €

and do both tests: 40 €

plus have some fun