Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
SVM

Need answers

Hello, 

I have hsv1. Two cold sores in thr same place on my mouth my whole life and im in my 30s. When my husband and i first started dating i told him i get cold sores. He said he had had one on his lip. He had been tested but they never tested for hsv. Since he had been with one person after being tested and got his cold sore on his lip,  i asked him to go back to the doctor. They tested him for hsv and he came back with hsv2. The doctor said he has only had symptoms of cold sores on the mouth and tested negative for hsv1, so im short she believes thats the infection site. I went back and was tested again. I came back positive for hsv1 and negative for hsv2.  We are prepared to be safe so we both started taking valtrex as a suppression therapy, no more oral, and we will use condoms. However, we want to start trying to concieve so no condoms on highly fertile days. What are the chances his hsv2 is not just oral and is genital to? Its truly frustrating not to see a lot of data on hsv2 oral. Also it is annoying to see so much contradictory data. 

Can anyone please help? What is the best way to go about this? My doctor thinks its crazy to care so much about neither of us contracting the other strain. Ive read suppression. Therapy reduces transmission 50% condoms 50% and having a previous type can reduce contracting up to 40%. Also of course i dont want to catch genital hsv while pregnant.

Thanks 

So here is the issue with that. IgG testing misses 30% of HSV1 infections. It's not 100% known why, but it's a problem with the test. So the sores on his face could in fact be HSV1.

He may also have had a false positive HSV2 value. 1.1 -3.5 need to be retested as in that range there is a 50% chance of a false positive number. (Been there, done that)

IF he does have HSV2 orally, it only sheds 1% of days, so unless he were to do something while having an active OB it basically is a non starter.

Advertisement

Thank you for responding. Someone told me if a person has hsv2 orally you have to assume its genital to? What do you feel about that? 

On 11/15/2017 at 8:07 AM, SVM said:

Thank you for responding. Someone told me if a person has hsv2 orally you have to assume its genital to? What do you feel about that? 

Nope nope nope. There are people on this very board who have strictly HSV2 oral infections, no genital infection to be found (i.e. no lesions). Is there a possibility they have both? Yes, but if the oral cavity is breaking out from HSV2, the genital area would as well. 

If your husband has another oral outbreak you should have him get it swabbed. Walk in clinics or planned parenthood can do this faster than calling your GP typically, as time is of the essence with swabs since they (unfortunately) still tend to be viral cultures. 

He also should consider getting another HSV2 IgG , or just go straight to the blot if this is concerning for you two. The blot is 99% correct for HSV2 detection when taken at the time frame recommended by the university of Washington state.

There is also a large amount of bad to straight wrong information on the net regarding HSV. I have no idea who keeps paying for some of these websites that terrify people but they need to find  better things to do with their time.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:07 AM, SVM said:

It all depends on how the transfer was made. I have both. Kissed him he was obviously having an o.b and I was doing oral and then grinded hence I have both hsv2 oral and genital. Most of the time it's better to assume and stay safe then not. Get a wb.

20 hours ago, Tense said:

It all depends on how the transfer was made. I have both. Kissed him he was obviously having an o.b and I was doing oral and then grinded hence I have both hsv2 oral and genital. Most of the time it's better to assume and stay safe then not. Get a wb.

What were the results of your Westetnblot @Tense??

Advertisement

18 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

What were the results of your Westetnblot @Tense??

Didn't do it  but I am having the same symptoms as i did when I was exposed initially. Folliculitis my ass

2 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

I’m lost. What did the swab tell you??

She swabbed my cervix not the bumps. It was negative 

2 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

They won't test me anymore. They said my blood is negative. So I'm stuck. But i still have symptoms. Broke out today and I was burning so bad. Then went to the bathroom and had the same red dots as a few months ago. I' feel so defeated again 

5 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

It was negative but, she swabbed the cervix not the red dots. I am so confused. I am having another o.b. now. I know I have it with the symptoms and the pain. What else could it be? My Drs did blood and said it is negative but I had been on anti virals. I am in so much pain orally and woo woo. I don't know what else to do. I take 400mg of gabapentin daily. It isn't helping. I am so distraught and it's hard to work. Help  any advice?

The first thing to do is believe that this is not HSV-2. There is pretty much nothing (and I mean nothing) in terms of exposure, in terms of timing, in terms of symptoms, in terms of testing and in terms of results that suggests HSV-2. Herpes needs to leave your mind here. It is pretty much difficult to forsee how any STD from this incident 

Maybe start afresh with a new doctor with the widest possible perspective of what this might be. A lot of pain begins with the back for example.

7 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

The first thing to do is believe that this is not HSV-2. There is pretty much nothing (and I mean nothing) in terms of exposure, in terms of timing, in terms of symptoms, in terms of testing and in terms of results that suggests HSV-2. Herpes needs to leave your mind here. It is pretty much difficult to forsee how any STD from this incident 

Maybe start afresh with a new doctor with the widest possible perspective of what this might be. A lot of pain begins with the back for example.

I wish I could. My eyes are blurry, and the guy I was with did have a cut on his lip. I started with joint pain in my shoulder, red dots on my hood, anxiety while sleeping, discharge vaginally, burn and itch with redness before red dots popped up on the hood of my vagina. He won't get tested and I didn't have sex with him. Kissed him nd have him oral sex and then grinded on him. I had zit like potules in my groin area. I am just stressed because I don't want to give this to anyone. It's horrible. Those are the red dots. I also had lower back pain and red dots all over my back they are still there 2 months later. I was on antivirals and they didn't help I'm at a loss. You are very helpful. Drs won't help. I am going to gyno in dec. Don't know what to tell my ex ex b.f. he wants to get back together but I'm afraid to with this. 

20171121_145440.jpg

18 hours ago, Tense said:

They won't test me anymore. They said my blood is negative. So I'm stuck. But i still have symptoms. Broke out today and I was burning so bad. Then went to the bathroom and had the same red dots as a few months ago.

You can repeat the tests at a different site, but if your contact was less than 4 months ago you could still turn out negative even if you were infected.

Those symptoms (red dots, vaginal discharge, itching and burning) that come and go over a few days could be hsv or could be something else. If antivirals don't reduce the symptoms then that would point strongly to something else. Joint pain in the shoulder, red dots that last months... that's not hsv.

Having vaginal discharge makes the cervix a good place to swab.

Edited by friendlyboy

37 minutes ago, friendlyboy said:

You can repeat the tests at a different site, but if your contact was less than 4 months ago you could still turn out negative even if you were infected.

Those symptoms (red dots, vaginal discharge, itching and burning) that come and go over a few days could be hsv or could be something else. If antivirals don't reduce the symptoms then that would point strongly to something else. Joint pain in the shoulder, red dots that last months... that's not hsv.

Having vaginal discharge makes the cervix a good place to swab.

Thank you for the info. I did have blisters on my tongue tho so I'm sure it's hsv2 orally. He had a cut on his lip. The red dots were there and discomfort and the red dots came back last night with a major burning sensation like in October. A lot of these symptoms unfortunately are hsv related, I looked them up and my Dr said it sounds like it so he put me on the anti virals. A weak immune system as I have [anemia] will pose a problem also. Going to Gyno but I am so tired of the pain. I have had no reprieve for almost 2 months. Even on gabapentin no relief and still miserable. I wont get back with my ex ex because i don't want to give him anything. Thanks for your help 

Those dots are not HSV. Those are irritated follicles. They would not stay as flat red dots if they were HSV outbreaks. That is not what the virus does. NO HSV LESIONs CONTAIN PUS. I don't know what person/information is telling a bunch of new users that there is pus in HSV blisters/lesions but there IS NOT. It is strictly a clear to honey tinged CLEAR fluid. If you have pus it is bacterial and has nothing to do with HSV.

Genital burning in women can come from stress and anxiety. There is a reaction known as "guarding" that the female body does without you realizing where it tenses the pelvic floor muscles in response to fear of pain, being severely upset, and a few other reasons.. If this is done too much it can cause trigger points in the pelvic floor which can result in burning pain in the vulval/vaginal/clitoral area. 

This type of pain does not respond to things like gabapentin (which is for damaged nerves) or such as it's a extremely severe muscle cramp basically, so that explains why that medication has not worked. Find and contact a pelvic floor therapist in your area.

Edited by WannaCry

18 hours ago, WannaCry said:

Those dots are not HSV. Those are irritated follicles. They would not stay as flat red dots if they were HSV outbreaks. That is not what the virus does. NO HSV LESIONs CONTAIN PUS. I don't know what person/information is telling a bunch of new users that there is pus in HSV blisters/lesions but there IS NOT. It is strictly a clear to honey tinged CLEAR fluid. If you have pus it is bacterial and has nothing to do with HSV.

Genital burning in women can come from stress and anxiety. There is a reaction known as "guarding" that the female body does without you realizing where it tenses the pelvic floor muscles in response to fear of pain, being severely upset, and a few other reasons.. If this is done too much it can cause trigger points in the pelvic floor which can result in burning pain in the vulval/vaginal/clitoral area. 

This type of pain does not respond to things like gabapentin (which is for damaged nerves) or such as it's a extremely severe muscle cramp basically, so that explains why that medication has not worked. Find and contact a pelvic floor therapist in your area.

So confused. I had the burning and red dots oral outbreak and now the red dots have faded almost gone. Is this still what you say it is?

I got this randomly on my butt cheek 2 times already , no outbreaks still burning thigh sensation and itching in my genitals.. Anyone experience this

1123170732.jpg