World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
JamesDean187

Contracting Herpes

JamesDean187

Hi, I recently slept with my ex-girlfriend of 5 years. Apparently, in the 2 month we have been apart she contract the herpes virus and didn't inform me before we had sex. She showed no visible signs of having the virus and i used protection. She said that she was not having an outbreak, or had recently had one. What are the chances i have contracted the virus? If we were to get back together, would it be possible for us to slept together without contracting the virus?

Any insight would be greatly apprecaited :)

JamesDean187

Cont.

She contracted HSV1 and when we had sex. This was not during an outbreak, I also wore a condom. Is shedding involved in HSV1? I went and got tested at the health clinic today. The doctor said that there wasn't much that she could do without me having an outbreak. I feel like im now sitting at home waiting for an outbreak. If it was to occur? When would it happen? And how would i be able to tell it was happening? With no experience, a brief visit to the clinic and nobody to talk to. Im not sure what to expect.

MsLucy

Okay, let's see if we can sort this out. You say your gf has HSV-1, but you don't say where. If it's oral (on her face) you could contract it from kissing, or if she performs oral sex on you. If it's genital, you could contract it from having intercourse or performing oral sex on her.

Yes, shedding occurs with HSV-1. If she has genital, the fact that you wore a condom is good, however, condoms do not really offer much protection due to the limited amount of area they cover.

The fact that she's been symptom free for a while is in your favor. Shedding only occurs about 4% of the time, so chances are you're OK. If your encounter was quite recent, a blood test would not be worthwhile, as your antibodies to detect the virus would not be apparent in your blood yet. It takes a while. If you continue to exhibit no symptoms, you should consider another blood test in about 3 months. By that time, a blood test would be more accurate. In the meantime, if you get an ob, you'll know. Check out the Herpes Signs and Symptoms section to the right of this page.

If you get back together, and use reasonable precautions (no sex during ob's, etc,) you may avoid contracting the virus for a long time (years), or you could get it right away. There are no guarantees. There is always some small risk, no matter what precautions you take, and that's something you have to consider. Unless you're willing to accept that risk and the entire responsiblity for your decision, don't do it. Don't put the weight of prevention on her shoulders, nor the guilt trip if you do contract it. She was honest with you about her condition, which is admirable. Now it's up to you to decide whether your feelings for her outweigh the risk. The ball's in your court.

JamesDean187

The transmission would of been genital to genital if it occured. I understand that without and outbreak there was still a chance of contracting the virus, through viral shedding. If it would not show up in my blood for 2-3 months. The only way to initally tell if i had contracting it would be through the inital out break? If i have an outbreak i have been advised to go into the health clinic for a swab test of the OB. If she has HSV1, does that mean i will contract HSV1? or is it possible to be HSV2? It says the inital outbreak usually takes between 2-10 days, but can possibly not occur until as late as 20 days? Do you need to have an inital outbreak, to have contracted HSV1? If not, would the only know 100% if i was clear would be a blood test 3 months from now?

Claudia
If she has HSV1, does that mean i will contract HSV1? or is it possible to be HSV2?

If she has HSV1, you might catch HSV1 from her. If she does not have HSV2, you can't catch it from her. You can't catch a type of herpes from her that she doesn't have.