World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Tacoloco2

3 weeks primary outbreak should I start meds? Also oregano oil and silver

Tacoloco2

It's into the beginning of the 4th week of an unconfirmed primary outbreak (tests have been negative so far).  It seems that the lesions have improved since the first two weeks.  They have started crusting over but every time I shower they turn red and ooze a yellow sticky fluid which is very uncomfortable.  I feel shooting pains and itching as well throughout the day.  Today my lymph nodes are painful and swollen in the groin and for the past few days and I have joint pain.  I feel weak and slow.

I went back to the gyno today.  She urged me to start taking the acyclovir 400mg 3x per day.  I prefer to avoid prescription meds.  I'm wondering if taking the acyclovir would prevent my body from building the necessary antibodies and make it more prone to furture outbreaks?  I'm feeling so scared to take it.

My gyno also took a second swab and also a biopsy today.  Are biopsy results reliable? 

Also, for about 5 days I have been taking oregano oil and soverign silver drops under the tongue.  I'm not sure if it is worth continuing or if that could be why I'm experiencing the joint pain.  I was planning to try those natural remedies for 30 days.  Any opinions on that?  

Scooby2112

You can take the Antivirals for a short duration until your body gets control.  Then you can go off them.  

This is called episodic therapy.  You can ask your doctor about it.  

This will not have an  impact to your bodies ability to fight the virus.  It will stop the virus from replicating making there less virus to fight against.  This can lower your antibody count for blood testing purposes but this is just temporary.  Your body will build more antibodies the next time the virus reactivates.  

After the primary you can take the AVs for subsequent outbreaks as a higher dose for the first two or three days.  Or you can try with AVs.  Each person experience is different.  

WannaCry

The swab test should be viable for the sores. Your Gyno is doing the biopsy to look for any other possibilities as to what may be causing the sores (bacterial, fungal, autoimmune, ect)

Take the antivirals. The natural cure stuff is not going to be helpful for a primary OB, and even then it's very ancedotal as to what does and does not work from person to person. The antivirals are not going to make you more prone to outbreaks. They will inhibit the virus' ability to replicate itself and let your body heal those sores instead of allowing them to continue to occur, since that is what primary OBs like to do - expand and hurt. The only problem with taking antivirals is they can slow seroconversion for blood testing results. (This is a non starter if you have a positive, typed swab result)

Once your primary is under control you can experiment with what does and doesn't work for you when it comes to supplements.

I do not recommend silver supplementation as it has many side effects that are not worth it's use, particularly as a female.

Tacoloco2
5 hours ago, Scooby2112 said:

You can take the Antivirals for a short duration until your body gets control.  Then you can go off them.  

This is called episodic therapy.  You can ask your doctor about it.  

This will not have an  impact to your bodies ability to fight the virus.  It will stop the virus from replicating making there less virus to fight against.  This can lower your antibody count for blood testing purposes but this is just temporary.  Your body will build more antibodies the next time the virus reactivates.  

After the primary you can take the AVs for subsequent outbreaks as a higher dose for the first two or three days.  Or you can try with AVs.  Each person experience is different.  

Thank you scooby2112!  I might try the av tomorrow.  I think I've read that it is not very useful beyond the initial stages of an outbreak.  I do kind of wish I had tried it earlier because this three weeks has truly zapped me.  I don't know if I'm being a hypochondriac but it feels like something is so wrong, like this has taken a toll on my whole body.  I don't know if it's from the effects of the virus or that the constant pain wore me down.  I feel so depleted from this outbreak.  I feel like I will have to focus on getting my strength back when it clears up.  I hope this is all normal part of a primary outbreak.

Tacoloco2
4 hours ago, WannaCry said:

The swab test should be viable for the sores. Your Gyno is doing the biopsy to look for any other possibilities as to what may be causing the sores (bacterial, fungal, autoimmune, ect)

Take the antivirals. The natural cure stuff is not going to be helpful for a primary OB, and even then it's very ancedotal as to what does and does not work from person to person. The antivirals are not going to make you more prone to outbreaks. They will inhibit the virus' ability to replicate itself and let your body heal those sores instead of allowing them to continue to occur, since that is what primary OBs like to do - expand and hurt. The only problem with taking antivirals is they can slow seroconversion for blood testing results. (This is a non starter if you have a positive, typed swab result)

Once your primary is under control you can experiment with what does and doesn't work for you when it comes to supplements.

I do not recommend silver supplementation as it has many side effects that are not worth it's use, particularly as a female.

Thank you wannacry.  Your response helped to knock some sense into me about the silver.  I'm going to stop taking it.  I thought that maybe if I start the oregano oil early it can have a better chance to knock out the virus.  At the same time I don't want to cause other health problems or make myself sick with the supplements.  My outbreak started after juicing and including wheat grass powder daily as well as changing my diet to all organic foused on veggies, fruit, chicken, fish and low carb, low sugar.  It was an extreme change from eating whenever and whatever I wanted for the last couple years.  

I haven't found much info about what a biopsy will determine.  My doc didn't really elaborate.  I think she said it may be able to tell if it is herpes but maybe not.  I already had a swab test and a blood test which came back negative.  Also, my last partner for months and months tested negative on igg blood test.  But my symptoms seem to be very much like a herpes outbreak. 

My gyno did another swab test today but she swabbed the same old lesions from before.  I was a little disappointed that she didn't swab the newer ones.  She said she could do a biopsy on the newer ones too but the biopsy she did on the older sores was way too painful so I declined.  I hope the biopsy will come back with some answers.  I know that when I scratch the area new sores seem to form the next day.  Is it really that self contagious if you touch the sores?

Scooby2112
5 hours ago, Tacoloco2 said:

Thank you wannacry.  Your response helped to knock some sense into me about the silver.  I'm going to stop taking it.  I thought that maybe if I start the oregano oil early it can have a better chance to knock out the virus.  At the same time I don't want to cause other health problems or make myself sick with the supplements.  My outbreak started after juicing and including wheat grass powder daily as well as changing my diet to all organic foused on veggies, fruit, chicken, fish and low carb, low sugar.  It was an extreme change from eating whenever and whatever I wanted for the last couple years.  

I haven't found much info about what a biopsy will determine.  My doc didn't really elaborate.  I think she said it may be able to tell if it is herpes but maybe not.  I already had a swab test and a blood test which came back negative.  Also, my last partner for months and months tested negative on igg blood test.  But my symptoms seem to be very much like a herpes outbreak. 

My gyno did another swab test today but she swabbed the same old lesions from before.  I was a little disappointed that she didn't swab the newer ones.  She said she could do a biopsy on the newer ones too but the biopsy she did on the older sores was way too painful so I declined.  I hope the biopsy will come back with some answers.  I know that when I scratch the area new sores seem to form the next day.  Is it really that self contagious if you touch the sores?

Scratching actually can cause secondary bacterial infections (pimples).  It's a cycle.  You scratch you break the skin bacteria gets in. Pimples form, causing more scratching and more breaks in the skin.  If these are on the skin outside your vagina try some acne wash with 5% benzyl peroxide.  It will kill the bacteria and improve the skin.  Do not use this on the internal portions of the vagina it will burn the delicate mucus membranes.  

It works really well for me on my butt cheeks.  

Arrowhead

Tacoloco2,

I would start by looking at the science and go from there.  

There seems to be overwhelming proof that the shorter and less intense your Primary OB is, the less often and less intense your future OB will be.  So, that being said take the Antivirals, there is proof these meds do this.  Also, if your into the natural remedies, Id start with some topicals, Lemon Balm has clinical proof to help most people shorten the OB and lengthens the time in between OB, as does Zinc. and Oil of Oregano 

I take both AV meds, and several natural remedies.  Oil Of Oregano is great, also try Olive Leaf Extract.  Both of these have had some success against HSV and there is virtually no side effects (I have heard OOO has made some peoples OBs worse, I havent found this to be the case).  Also there are several other natural remedies or vit/minerals that help.

Good Luck

Jay2255

Hi Tacoloco2,

how are you holding up? Have you started the AV’s? Do you have other symptoms like headaches, weakness, tingling elsewhere on your body?

I’m nearing a month and my condition seems be getting worse except for the confusing fact the I am not show any blisters. I had one acne looking pimple on my leg which the dr did not swab.

I hope you’re feeling better.

Scooby2112
38 minutes ago, Jay2255 said:

Hi Tacoloco2,

how are you holding up? Have you started the AV’s? Do you have other symptoms like headaches, weakness, tingling elsewhere on your body?

I’m nearing a month and my condition seems be getting worse except for the confusing fact the I am not show any blisters. I had one acne looking pimple on my leg which the dr did not swab.

Jay your in the likely not Herpes space still.  I hope for your sake that is the result.   I am still hoping the same for myself.  

Jay2255
3 minutes ago, Scooby2112 said:

Jay your in the likely not Herpes space still.  I hope for your sake that is the result.   I am still hoping the same for myself.  

I hope so too but this many weeks later and still nausea fatigue, tingling face and finger dexterity issue, etc and as of yesterday headaches.

It is frustrating that the blood work is taking 2 weeks when, if diagnosed, I could already be on AV’s and suppressing this monster (if that’s what it is).

Scooby2112
14 minutes ago, Jay2255 said:

I hope so too but this many weeks later and still nausea fatigue, tingling face and finger dexterity issue, etc and as of yesterday headaches.

It is frustrating that the blood work is taking 2 weeks when, if diagnosed, I could already be on AV’s and suppressing this monster (if that’s what it is).

I have more localized impact.  Tingling etc in the thighs and butt.  Along with pink spots under the penis head that has discomfort as it brings on my undies etc.

Steroid creams have helped the penis irritation somewhat but scared that it will just come back.  

Today I started getting pain inside my perennial area.  

My doctor gave me AVs to try.  They didn't seem to help me over the last month.  

I am guessing they won't help you either since your symptoms are so wide spread and most are not generally tied to herpes infections.  

Tacoloco2
On 12/5/2017 at 3:53 PM, Jay2255 said:

Hi Tacoloco2,

Hello Jay, 

I apologize for responding so late.  I didn't see your message.

I am doing okay.  I've had other issues since the outbreak cleared.  Caught a cold, developed a very painful and swollen stye on my under eyelid.  I have some weird aches and pains which I'm not used to.  It is like night and day from before my outbreak so I am wondering if there is some issue with my body or my immune system?

They gave me a biopsy which showed a severe allergic reaction.  I started on topical steroids and the outbreak improved everyday from there.  I never ended up taking the antivirals.  I have been out break free since then untill a few days ago I developed two teeny sores and a few smaller ones on my thighs.  I've put bactine on them and they feel better.

I stopped taking natural products.  I stopped juicing as well which I was doing once a day.  I am a bit fearful to try any supplements or the juicing because I don't know what triggered this whole reaction with my body.

It sounds like your doc prescribed topical steroids too.  Did they help?  Do you think you are having an allergic reaction?  Have your symptoms improved?  Have you been tested?  I hope you're doing better.