Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Wintergirl

Anti viral medication longterm use

Wintergirl

Hey everyone, just wanted to see how others manage. If you are protecting your partner by using condoms and are on daily anti virals.....how long can you keep that up? My doctor is concerned about long-term health effects of the antiviral medication usage. She does not want to refill my meds. I can't in good conscience not take them. So it may come down to a decision of letting my partner go....because I would not want them to suffer a diagnosis such as I have. You can be careful in having sex and many have had luck with condoms only. But the stress and anxiety of possibly passing on this virus would be  too much for me to handle. How does one keep positive when every future partner will also need protection. Does anyone feel the same or have any info/opinion on damage from prolonged use of antivirals? Have been on them for 2 years. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Wintergirl

Advertisement

Voyager2

I've been taking 1 acyclovir 400mg tablet daily for at least 10 years. I get blood panel tests often and my liver functions have always been fairly normal. Sure hope I'm not damaging anything. I am not aware of any outbreaks during this time but who knows, tiny ones can sneak under the radar 

Mad_20
    On 3/12/2017 at 4:04 PM, Wintergirl said:

Hey everyone, just wanted to see how others manage. If you are protecting your partner by using condoms and are on daily anti virals.....how long can you keep that up? My doctor is concerned about long-term health effects of the antiviral medication usage. She does not want to refill my meds. I can't in good conscience not take them. So it may come down to a decision of letting my partner go....because I would not want them to suffer a diagnosis such as I have. You can be careful in having sex and many have had luck with condoms only. But the stress and anxiety of possibly passing on this virus would be  too much for me to handle. How does one keep positive when every future partner will also need protection. Does anyone feel the same or have any info/opinion on damage from prolonged use of antivirals? Have been on them for 2 years. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi, 

I have a similar problem, my doctor does not want to fill up my meds anymore. I have not yet insisted as much as I can, which I am confident will work; but if she says she is definitely not going to refill them, what can we do? I always thought we have the last word on it, right? I feel super good on AV and Anna Wald told me personally that they were safe long term (as it has been shown by every test on around 99% of people).

Mad_20
    30 minutes ago, Voyager2 said:

I've been taking 1 acyclovir 400mg tablet daily for at least 10 years. I get blood panel tests often and my liver functions have always been fairly normal. Sure hope I'm not damaging anything. I am not aware of any outbreaks during this time but who knows, tiny ones can sneak under the radar 

May I ask a question? How did it go with transmission all these years? I have had protected and unprotected sex while on meds and it was okay, but mine is a recent infection and I still worry quite a bit.

Voyager2

I don't date due to the fear of having to disclose, which I've learned from personal experience ends the relationship. I just take the acyclovir because it seems to keep me outbreak free. Would hate to have unprotected sex without disclosing and then find out that this lady who put her trust in me is having a painful primary outbreak. That is exactly what was done to me. Don't see any way out of this at the moment. 

Advertisement

The helper

Not a sulfer drug should be ok on the liver. 

Please read my post

Hope it helps 

I go months without taking any

LillianPanos

Find a new dr mine reacted same way check cdc website it has recommended dosage with or without outbreak

Mad_20
    7 hours ago, Voyager2 said:

I don't date due to the fear of having to disclose, which I've learned from personal experience ends the relationship. I just take the acyclovir because it seems to keep me outbreak free. Would hate to have unprotected sex without disclosing and then find out that this lady who put her trust in me is having a painful primary outbreak. That is exactly what was done to me. Don't see any way out of this at the moment. 

So you don't have sex at all? Oh boy, it doesn't need to be that way... I do and it's fine :)

Voyager2

Do you mean with or without condoms? A partner would be protected if a condom is used. Otherwise it's taking a chance, and with me, Murphy's rule always seems to apply (whatever can go wrong will). So my strategy has always been to hold out until better meds/vaccines become available, which I always THOUGHT were right around the corner. We each have to face this problem in our own way.  

Voyager2
    9 hours ago, The helper said:

Not a sulfer drug should be ok on the liver. 

Please read my post

Hope it helps 

I go months without taking any

Thanks, where was your post?

lali

Mine wanted me to take them only for 6 months. Im going back to see him on Monday. That mother fucker better refill my prescription cuz i would not go without it. 

true_blue

I think that your body can take punishment for a very long time assuming that you are healthy to begin with. There are alcoholics that drink every day for like 30-40 years before their liver goes out.

Constant Diplomat

I've been taking Valaciclovir for probably over a year and a half, either 500mg or 1gram daily, because i've either had a partner or was seeing someone most of the time. I've not had any side effects.

Curiously, I've not been sick with the flu or even a bad cold once during my time of taking Valaciclovir.

Voyager2
    4 hours ago, lali said:

Mine wanted me to take them only for 6 months. Im going back to see him on Monday. That mother fucker better refill my prescription cuz i would not go without it. 

I've never had a problem getting a prescription for this. Your doctor will likely give it to you. If not, he's just trying to be an ass.

lali
    1 hour ago, Voyager2 said:

I've never had a problem getting a prescription for this. Your doctor will likely give it to you. If not, he's just trying to be an ass.

I hope so 

WannaCry

Don't waste your time with Dr's who will not give you suppressive therapy. There is no long term health risks to using acyclovir or valacyclovir. The obsession with liver damage about that drug is massively overblown and involves genetic predisposition to liver issues and being stupid about not drinking enough water while on AVs (which you need to  be downing about 32 oz a day while on)

Jay2255

Are there any natural choices that actually work to suppress or have an impact (lysine, licorice root, vitamin C, etc)?

WannaCry

There is nothing that has been proven to decrease shedding or lower risk of transmission that is not an antiviral. There are people who have had success with dietary changes, vitamins and such for OB decreasing but that is not the same as suppressive therapy to mind mine transmission risk