Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Trundling_along

Disclosing and stigma

Trundling_along

Had a weird thought the other day... Where I live, HSV isn't part of a routine STI screening. Now, if they added it to the regular screening, loads of people would test positive who may not realize it, right? If more people tested positive for it, and then were educated on HSV, couldn't that help reduce the stigma? Make it more common and well known and less scary?

Divon

It would and thats a very popular thing to argue for in herpes communities but I think people fail to see the problem with this.

The problem is that there is nothing you can do about it other than take some anti virals that arent really that amazing. Other than the fact that you risk giving it to others, having it without knowing that you have it really isnt a big deal at all. Which is obviously super unfair because knowing that you have it sucks while having it without knowing it pretty much doesnt affect your life at all.

How do you motivate people to test themselves to see if they carry something that is not dangerous but contagious for life and incurable? "Hey have you had a sexually active life? Come get tested so we know if you are one of 3 sexually active adults who carry a contagious incurable virus so you don´t continue to date freely while being contagious."

I will say this, as soon as there is a very effective way of stopping the virus from replicating itself and thereby making it hard to transmit, regular testing will become much more common.

People on herpes forums obviously hate it when someone is saying this but having herpes no matter where it is in the body (except maybe the eyes) is not something that should be a concern if you dont shed that much. There is a reason why saying things like "You can always transmit it no matter how careful you are and no matter how inactive the virus seems" is not a very smart way to look at it. You get ONE life, you dont easily get to choose when to end it, you live it out. You probably dont want that entire life to consist of being a celibate to protect humanity from a skin irritating virus.

Edited by Divon

Advertisement

lali

@divon i dont agree. Everybody should know. Stigma wouldnt be as bad if the majority realizes what it is and they also have it.

Scooby2112
    1 hour ago, lali said:

@divon i dont agree. Everybody should know. Stigma wouldnt be as bad if the majority realizes what it is and they also have it.

I agree, minimally people knowing could have had started treatment to minimize passing the virus.  That possibly cut the prevalence by 20% every 20-30 years.  

Problem is with testing being so poor.  There would be about a 15% False positive for HSV2 and a 15% false negative for HSV1.  

And then the test would not tell you where you are infected.  Genitally or orally.  So what do you require of everyone? To go on antivirals when they have no symptoms?  To disclose that they may or may not be carrying a transmitable virus in there genital region?

i think if testing was able to be more precise and identify location it would become required.  Right now it’s difficult to recommend with all these draw backs.  

Divon

One thing that could work would be to get everyone to get checked and teach them about prodome symptoms etc and also go out with saying that sex without disclosure is fine if you havent shown signs of symptoms lately. That way it wouldnt feel as bad for people to get the diagnosis, there would still be hope for them to continue living their lives as normal just as before. AND the virus would spread less because more people would know about the signs.

Not denying that they could still spread it but from the looks of things, the difference between avoiding outbreaks and prodomes from not avoiding them seems massive in transmission rate.

Most logical solution by far in my opinion.