Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Steph73

Help

Steph73

I have a friend that is on day 7 of flu like symptoms but no out break yet? Is this common? This would be his first initial outbreak after exposure. 

Edited by Steph73

WilsoInAus

99% of the time, flu or cold symptoms are simply a flu or cold!

Lesions will typically take only a few days to appear if infected.

Advertisement

Steph73

So you are saying since this is day 7 and he knows he slept with someone that has the virus but at the time was not having an outbreak that more than likely he has not contacted it even though he is have these flu like symptoms and no outbreak? 

Edited by Steph73

WilsoInAus

Yes it is very unlikely that he has been infected given he has not had an outbreak. Remember that the majority of people who are infected do not experience noticeable flu like symptoms, especially if they have HSV-1 already.

Steph73

Ok thank you. I guess it is just a coincidence that all of this started happening a couple of days after his exposure. Thank you for your input. I couldn’t remember how mine started. I just know I have been dealing with it for awhile now. Hoping they will eventually find a cure one day  

Cupcake5

I had flu like symptoms very sick.  Outbreak showed 1 month later

Advertisement

WannaCry

The vast majority of people have the initial outbreak 2-7 days after the sexual event that the exposure happened during. There are rare outliers to this but if it passes 10 days for your friend with no blisters, paper cut looking lesions or rashes he should be fine.

Steph73

Thank you. He is on day nine with no outbreak! Hopefully he is in the clear now. He is a lucky one. Some of us didn’t have such luck.