Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Sign in to follow this  
jamesmills

Want to bounce some results off some ears.

jamesmills

Went to Europe and had unprotected oral sex but protected vaginal sex with a woman. A couple weeks later I showed some atypical herpes outbreak signs both on my lips and on my genitals. On my lip it's a non-specific rough patch of skin that is difficult to see and has some very mild sore-like pain but no shooting pains or numbness etc. A week after that is when the genital "outbreak" occured. There was a bunch of patchy red spots and one of them turned into a scab while the others did not. I went to the emergency room during this outbreak while in France in a large city and was seen by two different dermatologists. The first dermatologist did not think it was herpes - the second thought it was 50/50. At that time I had a PCR swab taken. The actual outbreak had no symptoms associated with it. They gave me valtrex and with it symptoms seemed to go away.

The PCR swab was negative.

Two weeks later another genital "outbreak" - this time less "spots" and more of this very wrinkly rough skin that sort of peeled at times. I took more valtrex and over the next week the symptoms went away.

I get back home from Europe and get an IgG HSV1/2 test at about 5 weeks post infection - it's negative for both. About two weeks after this I have another genital "outbreak" and it's a lot milder than the first two.

I never take the valtrex after those initial two weeks in Europe and at 18 weeks after the likely incident I got another IgG for HSV1/2. At the same time my doctor took this IgG I was having another genital "outbreak" but it was much milder than the last few. My doctor attempts to viral culture this - he also said visually it did not look like herpes to him.

Both the 18 week IgG was negative for HSV1/2 and the viral culture was negative (I know it's a bad test compared to PCR)

I continued to have the same lip "outbreak" which happened in the exact same spot with the same rough patch and not really any significant symptoms besides maybe some mild irritation. This continued over three months, lapsing where I would have it for a week, it would slowly heal and then I'd get it again. After three months it settled down and now in the last couple I've only had it once.

Right now in my head I'm thinking the chances of having HSV2 is pretty much 0. However this could still be genital HSV1. The symptoms are very atypical. The PCR at primary was negative. The IgG before potential seroconversion was negative. The IgG at 18 weeks was negative. The viral culture with recurrent outbreak was negative.

What do you guys think?

WannaCry

Going to say my man that with all these negative tests, that it's unlikely you have HSV genitally.

There is such a thing as genital eczema/psoriasis which could explain the rough patchiness (as that is not how even atypical lesions behave. They tend to be 'rashy' looking) 

If you've been off antivirals for 12 weeks+ and are still getting negative bloods AND negative swabs (culture or PCR) then it points at a non HSV root of the 'outbreak' situations you are dealing with.

Advertisement

jamesmills
    15 minutes ago, WannaCry said:

Going to say my man that with all these negative tests, that it's unlikely you have HSV genitally.

There is such a thing as genital eczema/psoriasis which could explain the rough patchiness (as that is not how even atypical lesions behave. They tend to be 'rashy' looking) 

If you've been off antivirals for 12 weeks+ and are still getting negative bloods AND negative swabs (culture or PCR) then it points at a non HSV root of the 'outbreak' situations you are dealing with.

So I didn't want to mention it because I felt it might sway people a certain way - but it's crazy you mention the psoriasis thing because I actually started getting psoriasis for the first time in my life 2 months ago on my body and arms in the midst of all this. The genital outbreaks sort of look like a mixture of herpes/psoriasis - this sort of red base with nonspecific red bumps ontop of it that never actually blister or break or look like typical herpes blisters.

WannaCry

Genital psoriasis is very much a thing and it can be a pain in the butt to heal. Psoriasis also can crop up for the first time in a persons life during high stress, so it does fit.