Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lady lightness

Outbreak While Taking Valtrex Daily

25 posts in this topic

Never thought i'd be posting this, but much to my dismay, I am having an outbreak. While taking 1000mg of Valtrex daily. Which i've been taking for hsv-2 for months (since April or May). And last night some little unwanted friends have appeared between my legs. I have an ideal that it was started from my jeans rubbing against my skin (i'm not one for wearing underwear, ever)- i'm not under any undue stress, my diet hasn't changed except quitting coffee, and I'M TAKING VALTREX EVERY FUCKING DAY! This is absurd. I don't know what to do.

Has this or something similar happened to anyone else?

oh yes, I'm familiar

Hey there, hate to tell you, having outbreaks on valtrex too. 1000 a day. it really sucks. did you see a doctor? I am so angry and so scared.

Valtrex Daily

Been there... Used Valtrex 1000mg daily and still got outbreaks. My doctor has now changed me to Famvir... I still get outbreaks...

Thinking of trying something new... perhaps seeing a Naturpathe for some natural remedies...

Hope it gets better for you..

Fonzy

Natural Alternatives

There are lots of options... for a list of a few different approaches that have worked for our members try this article:

:arrow:Herpes Outbreaks

It has links to informaiton about supplements, etc.

Hope this helps,

Shenda

I guess all in all- i'd rather take valtrex and have 1 OB every 5 or 6 months, then not and have 1-3 OB every month...

Valtrex is not a cure and you can still have outbreaks while taking it. How long have you had herpes? Outbreaks usually become less frequent the longer you have it.

Fuck Valtrex!

Sweetie, put the Valtrex down. Taking that stuff daily only makes the virus stronger to combat the medicine. I only take it when I feel the tingling sensation, but that is few and far between now (had it for 7 months).

Try this- Take Vitamin c,a,e, zinc, and lysine. Also get a shot glass and once a day mix some cayenne pepper, chili powder, lemon juice, and a little water together and down it. You avoid all those side effects of Valtrex, and it's more natural, and cheaper too.

While taking Valtrex daily for the first two months of my contracting, I was also getting Obs like two a month. Since starting my regimen I just described and also avoiding popcorn :( no obs since August (knock on wood). Good luck...

Good point,I thought Valtrex worked best while having an outbreak.

hey darkness how does chilli powder, caynne powder and lemon juice help stop OB's?

A lady I met here, Christy C, posted an article about how the body needs to have a balance of alkalinity over acidity. Many of the things we eat are acidic which can trigger an ob. The things in my little concotion are very alkaline and it seems to put things in balance and has been working. Its easy, i mix it together once a day w/ a little water and throw it back. Give it a try....

Valtrex is not a cure and you can still have outbreaks while taking it. How long have you had herpes? Outbreaks usually become less frequent the longer you have it.

I've had herpes for about a year and a half- the OBs have become less frequent, although they were frequent and severe for the first half year.

Sweetie, put the Valtrex down. Taking that stuff daily only makes the virus stronger to combat the medicine. I only take it when I feel the tingling sensation, but that is few and far between now (had it for 7 months).

Try this- Take Vitamin c,a,e, zinc, and lysine. Also get a shot glass and once a day mix some cayenne pepper, chili powder, lemon juice, and a little water together and down it. You avoid all those side effects of Valtrex, and it's more natural, and cheaper too.

While taking Valtrex daily for the first two months of my contracting, I was also getting Obs like two a month. Since starting my regimen I just described and also avoiding popcorn :( no obs since August (knock on wood). Good luck...

I know i know! I'm trying valtrex for a year to see how that effects my OBs/reduce possible transmission to my sweetie- but I hate taking it- I don't use western medicine except this- and I can feel its effects on me- sometimes I get dizzy/feel like i'm drunk, and more often I feel like there's a fog settling on my brain. I'm giving it another 3-4 months, and then goodbye. i take lysine, i've cut back on coffee and sugar. ive taken the cayenne/lemon with maple syrup for the master cleanse, but never thought of it for hsv. right now im making other changes in my diet- so one thing at a time. thanks for the support and advice!

A lady I met here, Christy C, posted an article about how the body needs to have a balance of alkalinity over acidity. Many of the things we eat are acidic which can trigger an ob. The things in my little concotion are very alkaline and it seems to put things in balance and has been working. Its easy, i mix it together once a day w/ a little water and throw it back. Give it a try....

Yes- that's interested that you posted this, because I am currently reading "the ph miracle" and learning all about this importance of alkalinity. i've been starting to eat at least one raw meal a day, and lots of greens. Ihave a feeling that no sugar, caffeine, and bread/pasta in my diet is going to help me be more balanced- in general and with my OBs

I woke up this morning with a tiny little chafe under my foreskin. I have had g-hsv1 for 5 years now and this would only be my second outbreak. It doesn't hurt and seems just like a chafe, with a very small impression like someone dug into it with their nails a bit too hard (which isn't the case as my gf is out of town) I've read that any kind of sore in that area should be considered an out break and it can in fact actually be this mild.

I take valtrex every day (on and off for 4 years), and for the last year have been taking 500mg of olive leaf twice a day. The reason I took valtrex so often was because I was in a relationship, and my doctor told me that if used daily, it could suppress the virus to make it less likely to transmit. My girlfriend ended up getting it, and we almost always used condoms anyway, which is what made me add the olive leaf as I've heard amazing things. Also, I didn't know about the effects of arginine and lysine on the virus, and did not eat properly, and did not have a very healthy lifestyle.

I am now in a new, recent relationship. We have been less safe, mosltly due to thinking my double supression would work better, I have been very careful to avoid foods with arginine, and that she is also taking olive leaf as I read that is the best way to avoid her catching it. She is totally ok with it despite me telling her that it is still possible she can get it (she is young and I don't think fully understands)

I am very nervous now for her sake, and that I am somehow getting an outbreak after all this supressive treatment. We had sex just a few days ago and she had ran out of Olive leaf so was off it. We used a condom but there was oral and some quick unprotected intercourse. I have literally spent thousands over the years on this stuff and am going to be very, very, very angry if it turns out it doesn't even work. I am worried that I will never be able to have a normal sex life, and that I can't honestly ever tell someone that I am able to suppress my hsv1 effectively.

Why bother to take ANY medications if they're no better in the end than just using a condom? There was a period where I didn't take anything, for like 8 months, and never had an outbreak. Now I do everything I can and I get one? ....anyone in a similar situation?

Lemon juice is very acidic, not alkaline. Am I wrong?

I have had g-hsv1 for 5 years now and this would only be my second outbreak.

My girlfriend ended up getting it, and we almost always used condoms anyway,

Your girlfriend ended up contracting GENITAL HSV1 from you? Or did she get it ORALLY? Because genital to genital HSV1 is extremely rare.

Kitty - That's right. I have g-hsv1, and that's what she got. I was on daily valtrex the entire time, and about 99.5% of the time we used condoms with the exception of oral sex. Now, she did not have her outbreak until after we broke up, and she told me she had been with someone else in that time (just over a month). It is entirely possible she got it from him, but he obviously never mentioned he had anything, and the odds of her getting it from a one night stand (protected) compared to being with me for a year and 4 months seems pretty unlikely.

The whole thing made me really paranoid, and now that I'm having my second occurrence, I'm really worried for my new girl friend. I won't be comfortable ever being in an honest relationship if I just give it to everyone no matter what I try.

My first relationship after I contracted hsv was very sexual, we always used a condom except once, and oral was very frequent. That lasted for about 6 or 7 months, and she never got it. As far as I know, the other 4 women I've had multiple sexual occurrences with have also not contracted it. So I'm just super confused.

Your girlfriend ended up contracting GENITAL HSV1 from you? Or did she get it ORALLY? Because genital to genital HSV1 is extremely rare.

I don't think it's as rare as they say it is. My boyfriend got genital HSV 1 from me (I have it genitally too.) I also have constant symptoms, even though they "say" genital HSV 1 doesn't cause that many symptoms. I don't think anything is set in stone when it comes to HSV, so it's always better to err on the safe side.

Kitty - That's right. I have g-hsv1, and that's what she got. I was on daily valtrex the entire time, and about 99.5% of the time we used condoms with the exception of oral sex. Now, she did not have her outbreak until after we broke up, and she told me she had been with someone else in that time (just over a month). It is entirely possible she got it from him, but he obviously never mentioned he had anything, and the odds of her getting it from a one night stand (protected) compared to being with me for a year and 4 months seems pretty unlikely.

Actually - its VERY LIKELY. I got HSV2 from a one-night stand (that could've turned into a relationship, but I was lied to)...its very likely that this other guy had HSV1 orally, and gave it to her genitally. Reason being, is because its EXTREMELY rare to contract HSV1 genital-to-genital. GHSV1 only sheds an extremely small percentage per year (less than 10 days per year or something around that mark). So you might want to start digging for some answers.

Actually - its VERY LIKELY. I got HSV2 from a one-night stand (that could've turned into a relationship, but I was lied to)...its very likely that this other guy had HSV1 orally, and gave it to her genitally. Reason being, is because its EXTREMELY rare to contract HSV1 genital-to-genital. GHSV1 only sheds an extremely small percentage per year (less than 10 days per year or something around that mark). So you might want to start digging for some answers.

Idgaf, I would really take what Kitty is saying with a grain of salt. He or she is quoting stats, and I think everyone on this forum knows that these kinds of stats are often not true with a LOT of people. Don't think that you cannot transmit your genital HSV 1 to someone genitally because it is certainly possible. Like I said, that is what happened with me. And I don't have shedding less than 10 days per year. I have symptoms 365 days a year. Don't take genital HSV 1 lightly. It may not be much of an issue for some people, but it definitely is for others.

I apologize that you are taking my information with a grain of salt. My best friend has had genital herpes (HSV1) for over 20 years. She's been in many relationships (long term) and short term, and she's had unprotected sex many times including oral. None of her partners ever came back with symptoms during their relationship or after.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't say, "its not possible", I said it's "rare". Those are two different things.

I apologize that you are taking my information with a grain of salt. My best friend has had genital herpes (HSV1) for over 20 years. She's been in many relationships (long term) and short term, and she's had unprotected sex many times including oral. None of her partners ever came back with symptoms during their relationship or after.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't say, "its not possible", I said it's "rare". Those are two different things.

You are basing your information on one person. Like I said, I transmitted it to my boyfriend genitally, and it was actually the very first time we had sex. That's how easily it was transmitted. Of course, I am more symptomatic than most people with genital HSV1. Your friend probably does not have symptoms very often, whereas I do. But my whole point is that you shouldn't advise people that it is very rare because it is not.

Kitty,

it could be that your friend has a really strong immune system or especially tough skin, who knows. She could also have her outbreaks in her urethra where it is hard to get the skin-to-skin contact necessary to transmit the disease. Every individual is different.

Just wanted to chime in. I know PLENTY of people from my H support group who got GHSV1 from genital-to-genital contact.

just sayin'