Please help , I was diagnosed with herpes type 2 less than 2 days ago and I have not stopped crying since. I am 18 years old and I feel like I have ruined my whole life. The stigma attached to this is so bad that I am also ashamed of myself I can’t look at myself in the mirror without hating myself. I cannot bare to tell anyone and fear that I may never have another relationship because who’s going to want me now ??

Welcome to honeycomb. At the present time I think its important to take this time to process what's going on with your body and to practice self love. You're still young and there's plenty of time for dating and to worry about anything like that. With time it will get easier and soon you will come to realise that once you're comfortable with living with the virus that dating will be a little easier to approach. Remember that you're the same person you were a day ago, a week ago and even a year ago but now with a little more life knowledge. Use this experience for good! If you need to talk I'm here; feel free to contact me.. 

If you're really struggling please reach out to a health professional to organise some sort of support in your journey to processing all of this. Lots of hugs 

You will be okay Dav, I too was just diagnosed and it is a very hard and dark time those first few weeks. I have come to realize I am the same smart, beautiful, funny girl I once was and something like this can not change that. You would also be SO surprised by how many people have this and go on to live NORMAL lives. For instance when I told my parents about this whole ordeal my mom laughed and said "your father has had herpes since we started dating and it was NEVER an issue and I never got it!" This totally surprised me and it just goes to show that there are many many people that live with this disease and does not impact their life at all. I also have a boyfriend who is very understanding of my status and it does not affect the way he views me and he tells me he is the luckiest guy in the world to have me as his girlfriend and I have H. So you will see that in time this really isn't a huge deal and people will love and accept you for who you are H or not. *hugs*

It will be ok. Be sure you are on antivirals for the initial outbreak. Take a multivitamin, get sleep, and lower your sugar intake. Put tea tree oil and coconut oil on any open wounds. Be sure to not spread it around to new places. 

Things should calm down within the first year. If it's any consolation... having to tell potential partners about herpes weeds out the assholes real fast! And they aren't all assholes... really.

Edited by GlitterDx

It’s a lot more comforting knowing that I’m not alone in this as I have spent the past two days in bed trying to sleep all day so I didn’t have to think about it. I think one of my main concerns is giving it to a potential partner and then hating me for it and telling everyone . The thought of that is my worst nightmare. Right now the thought of anyone else knowing apart from my mother makes me so embarrassed 

Edited by Dav19
6 minutes ago, WarriorKing said:

Hey, i got this when i was 20 ... nearly 40 years ago. Most adults all around you quietly carry it also. All of life is still open to you.

What type of hsv did you get at 20?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dav19 said:

It’s a lot more comforting knowing that I’m not alone in this as I have spent the past two days in bed trying to sleep all day so I didn’t have to think about it. I think one of my main concerns is giving it to a potential partner and then hating me for it and telling everyone . The thought of that is my worst nightmare. Right now the thought of anyone else knowing apart from my mother makes me so embarrassed 

You will find out alot around you will also have it in reality. You will find someone ,I have disclosed before and had a year relationship last year so there's one positive disclosure you can know about. Just focus on yourself for Abit and things will get better!  Just remember it is a extremely common skin virus that anyone in any situation can unknowingly get

Edited by fixme1
harmed by 0ΔNLS
2 minutes ago, fixme1 said:

You will find out alot around you will also have it in reality. You will find someone ,I have disclosed before and had a year relationship last year so there's one positive disclosure you can know about. Just focus on yourself for Abit and things will get better!  Just remember it is a extremely common skin virus that anyone in any situation can unknowingly get

some people spread in intentionally.

Day 3 and it’s fair to say I’ve experienced more emotions in the past couple of days than I have in my lifetime. Just want to express how thankful I am for this site and everyone’s openness to share their stories and I can take a little bit of positivity and knowledge from each one. The main problem I was facing was what everyone would think of me as everyone who has not been diagnosed seems to be so uneducated on the virus but I know that I need to focus on myself and understand it myself before I should even think about anyone else 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Single ➵ You may like to try the Dating App

• Similar Content

• HSV2sucks
      By HSV2sucks
      On Feb 10, I slept with somebody new. I specifically asked him if he had been tested for HSV and HIV via blood test. He told me he had just been tested two months ago and everything was negative and he hadn’t slept with anybody in a year. He either lied to me about being tested or lied about his status. I believe he knew he had HSV2, was not taking antivirals, and didn’t care if he infected me. Now he is using it to make me feel like I HAVE to stay with him because we both have this. And he is minimizing it. 

I am in pain, depressed, having suicidal thoughts (don’t think I’d act on them), and feeling hopeless. I have nerve pain all over my genitals, my lower back, my butt, back of my legs. It’s a constant pain and burning. I’m also bleeding as if I’m on a light period! ITS AWFUL! I don’t understand why anybody minimizes this!!! INFORMED CONSENT IS SO IMPORTANT! I feel violated! I’m so angry
    • nwlondoner
      By nwlondoner
      Hey, everyone, I wasn't sure where else to post but I'm hoping to reach out to other people in a similar situation to myself (Muslim with herpes). I'd just like to find someone who I can talk to maybe and find out how they've dealt with it and their experiences so far.
      So, I found out last week through a private blood test that I have herpes. It felt like my entire future shattered before me and I actually couldn't even cry on the first day, I was just in so much shock. It was only the next day that I found myself, just crying randomly out of nowhere.
      I had thought i was clean and free from any STDs as I had taken a blood test at an NHS sexual health clinic however it turned out that they don't include the herpes blood screen as most people are asymptomatic and they want to reduce the stigma attached with herpes. At first, I thought ignorance would have been bliss in this situation as most people will have herpes but not be told that they have it unless they take a private blood test or show symptoms.
      But then, I just thought that I could be passing it onto other people and what made me scared the most was about passing it onto family members, especially young children like young niece and nephew who I've kissed and potentially put at risk. I feel so paranoid when I'm near young babies now and try to keep my distance, I've seen pictures in article about a newborn baby was kissed by someone with herpes and their eye has swollen up.
      Islamically, you're not allowed to marry a person without telling them you have herpes. I was just wondering if there were any Muslims would have been able to get married and how they found their spouse.
      Also, a general question that I wanted to ask everyone? How do I deal with the paranoia of passing on herpes to others? I've been very careful about washing anything I've used like glasses and cutlery, like scrubbing them thoroughly with soap.
    • Jennifer1979
      By Jennifer1979
      I was tested for hsv1 and 2 and I tested negative last month of 2019 September. But it’s November and I noticed a white looking bump or pimple in the inner side of the labia majors. Could this be herpes? The test I took for hsv were blood test. Soo I’m not sure anymore? I’ve never had anything like this on my vagina so this is a first for me. 

it’s the white head looking bump but there’s no pain but I do feel itching sometimes but not all the time. 

• Contador 123
      By Contador 123
      https://ibb.co/hVc7NVs
      https://ibb.co/NSQGtFB

Hi the above pics are of my tongue and bottom lip. I'm concerned that I may have some sort of allergy or virus happening. The tongue feels quite irritated at times and you can see the red dots visible on the front of it. Also my lip (bottom) is always dry and cracks if I open my mouth quickly without thinking about it. It has been like this for some time now and seems to be getting worse. Is this a sign of something bad or could my constant stress and terrible diet be causing this. I will be seeing my doctor really soon so I just want some pointers if possible.

I have been tested for sti and all was ok, I have no outbreaks of any sort, just tender lips and sore tongue. 

The white patch on my tongue is the flash. 
    • Daviddd
      By Daviddd
      Hey guys is this oral herpes? I really cant sleep thinking about. Please tell me what do you think it is. Thanks
      https://ibb.co/Dg7NJBd

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• WilsoInAus
      @CHT my comments regarding your race and socio-economic status are not rude, sounds like they were accurate. I just want you to be aware that there is unconscious bias in your comments based on your perspective. Yes I stand by my comments that the US healthcare system is shameful. If that loses integrity in your eyes, then that is where you sit relative to the healthcare system and my public health philosophies. There is nothing shameful about expressing ones philosophies. Have I been antagonistic in the way I have expressed these things. Yes I have and I apologise for that. I think overall I was pretty shocked that you believed that the majority of infections were asymptomatic for the receiver. Your personal experience was quite the opposite and I admit I was perplexed why you didn't share your personal experience with someone who really wanted to hear a story of a true genital infection.
    • CHT
      "talking up the chances of infection"  What? Wilson, you are now making up dialogue that never occurred.  He asked about testing and when symptoms might manifest.... I answered his questions and then asked why he felt he may be infected?  You need to go back and read over the actual messages.... never once did I "talk up the chance of infection."  You have done a poor job of reading between the lines of my messages back to "Dumbass."  I suggested he may want to meet with a doctor to discuss his situation with the goal of alleviating his concerns about infection particularly since the little bit of information he provided would likely indicate he had a low chance of infection in my opinion.... hearing it from a medical professional, especially with testing, would help confirm this and give him peace of mind.   Wilson, what really surprises me is your last paragraph.  I have read many of your posts on this website over the last couple of years and have always held your opinions in high regard.... always well informed and you never resort to petty insults and bullying even when challenged.  However, your snide speculations about my race and socio-economic status are rude, unnecessary and clearly antagonistic.  Further, your remarks about the healthcare system in the US were clearly hostile, not to mention showing a gross ignorance of how healthcare works here.  Your statements were shameful.... lost integrity.    
    • WilsoInAus
      I'm sorry @CHT you did not give the full information. The chances are not high they will not have recognisable symptoms. And if they do not have recognisable symptoms, then what is the point of going to a doctor for a swab? It is your obligation to tell people their chances and they how arrive at the correct diagnosis through available tests. Are you aware of the psychological harm that you have probably caused by talking up the chance of infection. You didn't say that there would be 50% plus chance that the person did not have HSV-2 in the first place and that the episode was less than a 1 in 1,000 chance. What happened to those odds? What role do they play when you are interpreting symptoms or their absence? In life, you support someone by saying what they NEED to hear and not WHAT you know or want to say. Further, let me guess, white middle class? The bulk of the population cannot afford nor are granted access to health care in your country. Must be nice to be able to afford a clinical evaluation, but let's spare a though for those who can't afford that. All they can do is go with the odds and they are perfectly entitled to do that in their circumstances
    • ZealousidealAide7
      I know that it is not contagious, if that helps 
    • CHT
      "Simply because people think they are asymptomatic doesn't mean they are. When they go to a doctor for education and consciously on the lookout, there is a very high probability if they are infected they will find something." Absolutely true, no argument on the study you reference.  I am also aware of the clinical studies that have demonstrated that those who self-reported as "asymptomatic" when evaluated by medical professionals are made aware that they they aren't actually asymptomatic.  However, going back to the original question at hand as to whether those who are infected demonstrate recognizable symptoms, the answer is still (as per CDC, WHO, and other reliable sources):"Most individuals infected with HSV are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms that go unnoticed or are mistaken for another skin condition"   So, when someone comes to this site seeking advice and help when they suspect they are newly infected, we have an obligation to point out, as I did in this situation, that the chances are high that they may not have symptoms, or recognize any symptoms,  so, waiting to observe the classic symptoms (that they will no doubt look up online and find all sorts of photos showing "this is what a herpes outbreak looks like") will likely not detect those symptoms.... but, it does not mean they do not have the virus.  Obviously, most infected individuals won't have the benefit of weeks of clinical observation/testing to help them identify easily misidentified (or asymptomatic) symptoms..... these infected individuals will then move along thinking "I dodged the herpes bullet" and quite easily and unknowingly pass the virus on to others.  This occurs frequently when a person who does test positive confronts the person they believe gave them the "gift" and this gift-giver" vehemently denies having the virus since they have never had symptoms of herpes..... (which, again, is very likely as the CDC and WHO clearly point out).  Again, in the unlikely event this person were to enter into a clinical evaluation (as you referenced above), including testing/swabbing, they may find out otherwise.  This fact is one of the main reasons the virus continues to get passed along to others and the percentages of people becoming infected (particularly younger aged population) continues to increase. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.