World's Largest Herpes Support Group
learning2deal

Help Interpreting Blood Results

learning2deal

My gynecologist told me about 8 months ago that I have herpes.  My boyfriend and I decided to have blood tests done recently to see what our chances are of spreading the virus to one another.  We would like to continue having a sex life but don't want to risk him contracting type 2 (he already has type 1).  This is my first blood test since my doctor just told me my results and he had his blood test done by his doctor shortly after I got the news.  This will be his second blood test and his results have not come back yet but I received mine today.  I'm not sure how to interpret these index numbers or what they mean.  I know they mean I am positive for both HSV-1 and 2, but since the numbers are >1.09, what does this mean for me?  What does this mean as far the probability of spreading the virus?  The numbers for HSV-1 being 16.20 H and HSV-2 being 6.94 H...is this on some type of scale like 1-100?  Are these numbers extremely high or dangerous?  I'm just not even sure how to interpret these numbers so I'm open to anyone who can help me figure it out!  Please and thanks!5a5937737901a_IMG_0104(1).thumb.jpg.4c329e6932c54b3cd80846653afa28cd.jpg

WarriorKing

It measures the density of antibodies, not density of virus. Not a measure of danger.

Advertisement

learning2deal

Can you explain these numbers to me?  Do they tell me anything about the probability of spreading herpes?

WannaCry

Also there are two widely used types of test, and the one that typically has the higher number values is the Captia test administered by Labcorp. The  values you have mean that your infections are established; i.e. you did not contract from your boyfriend, so at absolute minimum you have had HSV for 3 months, but most likely much longer.

As far as transmission for your BF, I'm going to copy paste an answer I gave to another girl with similar concerns and parameterrs (HSV1 pos, HSV2 neg BF).

Ok, so lets get you some info that is factually correct and useful - because like you said, there is a TON of misinformation on the web.

HSV1 does NOT give any protection against HSV2 infection. There was a point in time professionals thought it did, but it has since been proven untrue in clinical studies.

People who are asymptomatic shed less than people who are symptomatic. By taking antivirals you cut what little you shed asymptomatically by 50% , which lowers your partner's chances of contracting even further.The chance of a HSV2 positive woman passing HSV2 to a man in a year of sex twice a week using antivirals and no condoms (obviously there is no OB or symptoms of impending OB with this)  is 2% according to a long term (10 year) study done by Valtrex's creator.  Put condoms in the mix and it is 1%.  So you are not constantly 'contagious'. Obviously if you think you are having an OB or things are 'strange' downstairs, abstain.

The best brand of condom is one that you do not have an allergic reaction to it or the lubrication on it. I personally reccomend Skyn brand by durex. They are non latex.

Truthfully 2% is a VERY low risk in a year, and he may decide for him it's not a big enough deal to use condoms for.  You don't need to worry about using dental dams/barriers for oral sex as HSV2 oral infections rarely ever happen.

Make sure you are taking the correct suppressive dosage of medication. For HSV2 it would be 500mg valacylovir x1 a day (this is for people who are asymptomatic or have less than 9 OBs a year. It's 1g otherwise) , Famiciclovir 250mg  every 12 hrs, or acyclovir  400mg every 12 hrs. I mention this because we have had a few people be given the WRONG dosage for suppression (too low) by their Dr.

Now, I have one last question. You said you found this out by blood test. What was the numeric value you were given, and was it an IgG or IGM test? There is FALSE POSITIVE range for HSV2 testing (1.1 - 3.5) where up to 50% of results in that range are incorrect, and IGM testing should not be used for adult diagnostics but some Dr's will still use it.

https://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-disclosure-handout.pdf  <- handout with accurate info on it.

WannaCry

The numbers from your test have zero bearing on tranmissibility of the virus. Tranmission is dependent on use of (or lack there of) of anti viral medication, condoms, and refraining from sex during OBs, prodome symptoms, or suspicion of them.

WarriorKing

I don't think the density of your anti bodies relates in any way to the probability of hsv transmission. Following all of the standard precautions relates to lowering the % chance of transmission.

Advertisement

learning2deal

I take Valacyclovir 1gm everyday and have only ever experience one OB which gives me hope to carry forward in our sex life.  We tried condoms at first but I think they were just a mental reminder and we were never able to enjoy sex with them and have chosen to stay abstinent since.  You said at minimum I've had the virus for three months, do these numbers reflect how long I've had it?  I'm sure there's not an exact way to say down to the day or month or year but are they reflective at all of that?

learning2deal

And thank you for sharing that link, that explains alot!

WannaCry

No, the numbers cannot tell you how many years or months you have had the virus. The only thing they can tell you is that at the infections possible most recent acquisition is 3 months ago, but most likely it was long before then. 80% of people with HSV (both types) don't know they have it, so this isn't unusual. The numbers show antibody levels in the blood. They can't be used to denote much of anything else other than "Yes you have mounted an effective immune response to infection by this virus"