Jump to content
World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
steel_panther

Herpes whitlow

Recommended Posts

steel_panther

Hey

 

i recently started dating someone who is hsv2 positive which doesn’t bother me.  They then noticed they had another outbreak in there hand.  The doctor was very confused and had never seen this type of thing before. My question is,  what’s the difference between genital and herpes whitlow?  Is it the same virus? Is healing the same ? Is it easier to pass to places as well? I’m just sort of consumed by all of this.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

I think it is very unlikely that the hand issue is related to HSV-2. 

Some people can obtain the virus in a region of the body other than oral or genital as a primary infection.

I think they are being a bit sensitive to issues with their body in light of their knowledge of being HSV-2 positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cas9
12 hours ago, steel_panther said:

Hey

 

i recently started dating someone who is hsv2 positive which doesn’t bother me.  They then noticed they had another outbreak in there hand.  The doctor was very confused and had never seen this type of thing before. My question is,  what’s the difference between genital and herpes whitlow?  Is it the same virus? Is healing the same ? Is it easier to pass to places as well? I’m just sort of consumed by all of this.

Thank you

The difference between genital herpes and whitlow is simply location; i.e. genital vs on the hands.  Both hsv1 and hsv2 can infect either location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther

So you think it’s rare for someone to have hsv 2 but then spread to the hand? But it is a possibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Micah
1 hour ago, steel_panther said:

So you think it’s rare for someone to have hsv 2 but then spread to the hand? But it is a possibility?

It's a real condition. It's not that rare. Just not as common. People one here have it. Theres also keratitis which is herpes in the eye. Some people get it above their butt. There's one I forget the name of that is on the torso that wrestlers get. It honestly can be anywhere. It's mostly found on the mouth or genitals but yeah it definitely appears in other locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus
13 hours ago, steel_panther said:

So you think it’s rare for someone to have hsv 2 but then spread to the hand? But it is a possibility?

Yes it is exceptionally rare, there is certainly no documented case of it happening. There is something pretty amazing about the immune response to HSV-2 that means it is virtually impossible to then become infected with HSV-1 in any location.

 

12 hours ago, Micah said:

It's a real condition. It's not that rare. Just not as common. People one here have it. Theres also keratitis which is herpes in the eye. Some people get it above their butt. There's one I forget the name of that is on the torso that wrestlers get. It honestly can be anywhere. It's mostly found on the mouth or genitals but yeah it definitely appears in other locations.

Note that herpes of the eye is oral herpes where the virus travels up the optic nerve. Herpes near the butt is genital herpes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Micah
10 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Yes it is exceptionally rare, there is certainly no documented case of it happening. There is something pretty amazing about the immune response to HSV-2 that means it is virtually impossible to then become infected with HSV-1 in any location.

 

Note that herpes of the eye is oral herpes where the virus travels up the optic nerve. Herpes near the butt is genital herpes.

Yeah. But if it's in the eye it's keratitis if it's above the butt it's sacral. They have names because they're recognized as seperate even if they're the same virus. So what exactly is your point. It's still in the eye even if it's oral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

The point is that people get very concerned for example that they have spread the virus if outbreaks occur in different places yet within the same ganglion dermatome reach. If they appreciate that they can experience outbreaks anywhere the ganglion reaches and this does not represent spreading or anything they have done wrong, or extra seriouness etc. then I think this is valuable information.

Names are simply names and the virus is as the virus does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther

So my question is. If a person with herpes whitlow touches another person without hsv 1 or 2. What is the likely hood of he or she passing it on? As well as if the person touches someone who is already hsv positive.  I would also like to know if there is anyone who has hsv 2 and herpes whitlow here. Or thinks they may have passed it from there genitals to hand? 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cas9

@steel_pantherYes, I believe this has happened to me; i.e. genital to hand. But keep in mind it is not confirmed, albeit the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. My case is also a very unusual one because typically you are protected from reinfection via the antibodies that you developed via the initial infection. For example, I've touched my lips and genitals (i.e. masturbated) many times in the past and never infected my hand. So in my case it's quite likely I was immunocompromised when I masturbated at the time I believe I was reinfected, which can happen when you're 63 y.o.; i.e. the immune system tends to weaken after age 50. But again, even then it's still unusual to reinfect. Just not a lucky guy I guess.

As far as passing it on to another, yes, if you are having an actual OB on your hand I wouldn't be rubbing your sores onto someone else.

Edited by Cas9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther

Also another question for people who suffer from herpes whitlow.  Do you think about it everyday? When did you start to get over it? When did you start accepting the fact you had herpes whitlow? Was it more of a blow to get the news about whitlow then genital herpes? 

My partner is having a really tough time accepting this.  She thinks about it everyday.  Also when she’s doing certain activities it will trigger something where she may have to touch her face and she is extremely cautionious. 

Thanks for your help

Edited by steel_panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

It isn’t at all likely that you and your partner have whitlow, what makes you think this is the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther
1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

It isn’t at all likely that you and your partner have whitlow, what makes you think this is the case?

thats what it is... not up for debate, not even part of the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cas9
32 minutes ago, steel_panther said:

thats what it is... not up for debate, not even part of the question.

So her hand sores have been swabbed and confirmed to be whitlow? i.e. I know you were concerned about it possibly being whitlow but I didn't get the impression it was confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther
6 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

So her hand sores have been swabbed and confirmed to be whitlow? i.e. I know you were concerned about it possibly being whitlow but I didn't get the impression it was confirmed.

yes. swabbed and confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Divon

I´ve actually been super convinced that I´ve spread it to my hands and fingers on both hands lately. Been having these sort of electrical feelings there lately and super small white blisterlike dots and skin cracking away. But it could be pretty much anything. I´ve heard that whitlow shouldnt shed that often once your body gets used to dealing with it though? Wishful thinking? :P

Never had anything that looks like stereotypical whitlow though, but that should not be expected either after having antibodies for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther

what do people do if they have reoccuring hepetic whitlow episodes and outbreaks? other than antivirals is there anything else you can do? 

 

does it get better with time?

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cas9
14 minutes ago, steel_panther said:

what do people do if they have reoccuring hepetic whitlow episodes and outbreaks? other than antivirals is there anything else you can do? 

 

does it get better with time?

thanks

I haven't been confirmed (i.e. never tested) but it's very obvious I have whitlow. The first three years I suffered a lot. And now it shows up mildly a few times a year. It's definitely gotten better. About a month ago I had the burning sore skin sensation on my right arm and a day later two red bumps showed up on my baby finger. This is typical except it's much less than before. I no longer freak out when this happens; I've accepted it. I now just relax and sleep well and the problem resides in a few days. If you get stressed and don't relax and rest when you have an OB, it only gets worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther
16 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

I haven't been confirmed (i.e. never tested) but it's very obvious I have whitlow. The first three years I suffered a lot. And now it shows up mildly a few times a year. It's definitely gotten better. About a month ago I had the burning sore skin sensation on my right arm and a day later two red bumps showed up on my baby finger. This is typical except it's much less than before. I no longer freak out when this happens; I've accepted it. I now just relax and sleep well and the problem resides in a few days. If you get stressed and don't relax and rest when you have an OB, it only gets worse.

 

so in your opinion do you think it took longer for your body to adjust to Whitlow? (3 years).

did you try to do daily suppressant therapy?  How that help if you did? Other than the stress is there any secrets, tips etc.?  Ive read a lot and your only suppose to have the one episode and it never comes back but some individuals do have reoccurring OB's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cas9
2 minutes ago, steel_panther said:

 

so in your opinion do you think it took longer for your body to adjust to Whitlow? (3 years).

did you try to do daily suppressant therapy?  How that help if you did? Other than the stress is there any secrets, tips etc.?  Ive read a lot and your only suppose to have the one episode and it never comes back but some individuals do have reoccurring OB's.

Typically whitlow is hsv1, but if it's hsv2 (my case) OBs may be more frequent. Yes, I think it took me longer, perhaps because I'm older. No, I wasn't on suppressive therapy because I never told my PCP that I had ghsv2 and didn't want to. After I had had enough of the OBs I did tell him and I subsequently started taking Valtrex. It did help if I took it when I started feeling an OB start. I emailed Anna Wald of Fred Hutch and explained my whole story and showed here a picture of my finger when I had a sore. She said my case was very unusual and told me I should have started Valtrex sooner.

I used to ice my hands also. That helped. I also washed with cold water and applied a moisturizer. It helped my hands feel better. Other than that just do what I said in my earlier comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steel_panther
2 hours ago, Cas9 said:

Typically whitlow is hsv1, but if it's hsv2 (my case) OBs may be more frequent. Yes, I think it took me longer, perhaps because I'm older. No, I wasn't on suppressive therapy because I never told my PCP that I had ghsv2 and didn't want to. After I had had enough of the OBs I did tell him and I subsequently started taking Valtrex. It did help if I took it when I started feeling an OB start. I emailed Anna Wald of Fred Hutch and explained my whole story and showed here a picture of my finger when I had a sore. She said my case was very unusual and told me I should have started Valtrex sooner.

I used to ice my hands also. That helped. I also washed with cold water and applied a moisturizer. It helped my hands feel better. Other than that just do what I said in my earlier comment.

thank you for your advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • The Hive is Thriving!

    • Total Topics
      69,741
    • Total Posts
      470,285
  • Posts

    • oneday
      Sorry @Voyager2 it's such a garbage thing and you don't deserve that sort of treatment. I am hoping something comes out of the woodwork in the near future. I want that party in time square and I am sure @Sillybrain2 would be there too, We'd probably party all year, we've been waiting too long for this. 
    • WilsoInAus
      There’s a lot of what looks like bro science here, can you point to any studies or views by experts that support this? Lets get a few facts on the table and see where that might lead us. Does HSV 1/2 generally cause nerve damage? Experts say no. Not even the likes of Terri Warren, Anna Wald and William Halford have isentifed this. Does an infection cause nerve and other complications at the time of primary or initial infection with HSV-2. Experts say yes. It is well researched. Plenty of examples explained as Elsberg syndrome for example point to particular lesions on the spinal column that cause issues. In nearly all cases healing occurs within a few months. Note that this is not to be confused with CMV/VZV caused Elsberg which is generally more serious and sometimes permanent. All herpes related issues will respond well to acyclovir. There are also related issues with the immune system that can be triggered by viral infections, most of which are also self limiting.
    • WilsoInAus
      Keep asking away @thebrightsidegirl You’ll get some good answers from experienced folk here, mostly! For a person with genital HSV-1, yes they can get genital HSV-2 although the chances appear to be somewhat reduced. No one knows by how much. People with both types identified in the one location are very rare indeed, although there’d be under-reporting. For your boyfriend, it sounds like some testing would be a good idea. Can he get a swab if the sores?
    • WilsoInAus
      He was referring to the hijacking by @Sanguine108 you got the wrong idiot
    • WilsoInAus
      Do you? I think people can read your story and decide for themselves, please pay that respect to people to understand your full story, don't our readers deserve that?   That's mice!??! On the basis of mice you pretend that what I write is wrong? I am relaying research into humans that is far more progressed than these papers on mice. Publish one paper that shows HSV-2 has caused nerve damage (I mean damage) to genital nerves. And given that there are 4 billion people with HSV-1, show us one documented case of nerve damage conclusively from HSV-1? The problem with mice models is that their immune system does not produce human immune response interferons and natural killer cells, not to mention the enhancements to neural density that accompanies the immune response.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.