World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
steel_panther

Herpes whitlow

steel_panther

Hey

i recently started dating someone who is hsv2 positive which doesn’t bother me.  They then noticed they had another outbreak in there hand.  The doctor was very confused and had never seen this type of thing before. My question is,  what’s the difference between genital and herpes whitlow?  Is it the same virus? Is healing the same ? Is it easier to pass to places as well? I’m just sort of consumed by all of this.

Thank you

WilsoInAus

I think it is very unlikely that the hand issue is related to HSV-2. 

Some people can obtain the virus in a region of the body other than oral or genital as a primary infection.

I think they are being a bit sensitive to issues with their body in light of their knowledge of being HSV-2 positive.

Cas9
12 hours ago, steel_panther said:

Hey

i recently started dating someone who is hsv2 positive which doesn’t bother me.  They then noticed they had another outbreak in there hand.  The doctor was very confused and had never seen this type of thing before. My question is,  what’s the difference between genital and herpes whitlow?  Is it the same virus? Is healing the same ? Is it easier to pass to places as well? I’m just sort of consumed by all of this.

Thank you

The difference between genital herpes and whitlow is simply location; i.e. genital vs on the hands.  Both hsv1 and hsv2 can infect either location.

steel_panther

So you think it’s rare for someone to have hsv 2 but then spread to the hand? But it is a possibility?

Micah
1 hour ago, steel_panther said:

So you think it’s rare for someone to have hsv 2 but then spread to the hand? But it is a possibility?

It's a real condition. It's not that rare. Just not as common. People one here have it. Theres also keratitis which is herpes in the eye. Some people get it above their butt. There's one I forget the name of that is on the torso that wrestlers get. It honestly can be anywhere. It's mostly found on the mouth or genitals but yeah it definitely appears in other locations.

WilsoInAus
13 hours ago, steel_panther said:

Yes it is exceptionally rare, there is certainly no documented case of it happening. There is something pretty amazing about the immune response to HSV-2 that means it is virtually impossible to then become infected with HSV-1 in any location.

12 hours ago, Micah said:

It's a real condition. It's not that rare. Just not as common. People one here have it. Theres also keratitis which is herpes in the eye. Some people get it above their butt. There's one I forget the name of that is on the torso that wrestlers get. It honestly can be anywhere. It's mostly found on the mouth or genitals but yeah it definitely appears in other locations.

Note that herpes of the eye is oral herpes where the virus travels up the optic nerve. Herpes near the butt is genital herpes.

Micah
10 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Yes it is exceptionally rare, there is certainly no documented case of it happening. There is something pretty amazing about the immune response to HSV-2 that means it is virtually impossible to then become infected with HSV-1 in any location.

Note that herpes of the eye is oral herpes where the virus travels up the optic nerve. Herpes near the butt is genital herpes.

Yeah. But if it's in the eye it's keratitis if it's above the butt it's sacral. They have names because they're recognized as seperate even if they're the same virus. So what exactly is your point. It's still in the eye even if it's oral.

WilsoInAus

The point is that people get very concerned for example that they have spread the virus if outbreaks occur in different places yet within the same ganglion dermatome reach. If they appreciate that they can experience outbreaks anywhere the ganglion reaches and this does not represent spreading or anything they have done wrong, or extra seriouness etc. then I think this is valuable information.

Names are simply names and the virus is as the virus does.

steel_panther

So my question is. If a person with herpes whitlow touches another person without hsv 1 or 2. What is the likely hood of he or she passing it on? As well as if the person touches someone who is already hsv positive.  I would also like to know if there is anyone who has hsv 2 and herpes whitlow here. Or thinks they may have passed it from there genitals to hand? 

Thank you

Cas9

@steel_pantherYes, I believe this has happened to me; i.e. genital to hand. But keep in mind it is not confirmed, albeit the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. My case is also a very unusual one because typically you are protected from reinfection via the antibodies that you developed via the initial infection. For example, I've touched my lips and genitals (i.e. masturbated) many times in the past and never infected my hand. So in my case it's quite likely I was immunocompromised when I masturbated at the time I believe I was reinfected, which can happen when you're 63 y.o.; i.e. the immune system tends to weaken after age 50. But again, even then it's still unusual to reinfect. Just not a lucky guy I guess.

As far as passing it on to another, yes, if you are having an actual OB on your hand I wouldn't be rubbing your sores onto someone else.

Edited by Cas9

steel_panther

Also another question for people who suffer from herpes whitlow.  Do you think about it everyday? When did you start to get over it? When did you start accepting the fact you had herpes whitlow? Was it more of a blow to get the news about whitlow then genital herpes? 

My partner is having a really tough time accepting this.  She thinks about it everyday.  Also when she’s doing certain activities it will trigger something where she may have to touch her face and she is extremely cautionious. 

Thanks for your help

Edited by steel_panther

WilsoInAus

It isn’t at all likely that you and your partner have whitlow, what makes you think this is the case?

steel_panther
1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

It isn’t at all likely that you and your partner have whitlow, what makes you think this is the case?

thats what it is... not up for debate, not even part of the question.

Cas9
32 minutes ago, steel_panther said:

thats what it is... not up for debate, not even part of the question.

So her hand sores have been swabbed and confirmed to be whitlow? i.e. I know you were concerned about it possibly being whitlow but I didn't get the impression it was confirmed.

steel_panther
6 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

So her hand sores have been swabbed and confirmed to be whitlow? i.e. I know you were concerned about it possibly being whitlow but I didn't get the impression it was confirmed.

yes. swabbed and confirmed.

Divon

I´ve actually been super convinced that I´ve spread it to my hands and fingers on both hands lately. Been having these sort of electrical feelings there lately and super small white blisterlike dots and skin cracking away. But it could be pretty much anything. I´ve heard that whitlow shouldnt shed that often once your body gets used to dealing with it though? Wishful thinking? :P

Never had anything that looks like stereotypical whitlow though, but that should not be expected either after having antibodies for so long.

steel_panther

what do people do if they have reoccuring hepetic whitlow episodes and outbreaks? other than antivirals is there anything else you can do? 

does it get better with time?

thanks

Cas9
14 minutes ago, steel_panther said:

what do people do if they have reoccuring hepetic whitlow episodes and outbreaks? other than antivirals is there anything else you can do? 

does it get better with time?

thanks

I haven't been confirmed (i.e. never tested) but it's very obvious I have whitlow. The first three years I suffered a lot. And now it shows up mildly a few times a year. It's definitely gotten better. About a month ago I had the burning sore skin sensation on my right arm and a day later two red bumps showed up on my baby finger. This is typical except it's much less than before. I no longer freak out when this happens; I've accepted it. I now just relax and sleep well and the problem resides in a few days. If you get stressed and don't relax and rest when you have an OB, it only gets worse.

steel_panther
16 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

I haven't been confirmed (i.e. never tested) but it's very obvious I have whitlow. The first three years I suffered a lot. And now it shows up mildly a few times a year. It's definitely gotten better. About a month ago I had the burning sore skin sensation on my right arm and a day later two red bumps showed up on my baby finger. This is typical except it's much less than before. I no longer freak out when this happens; I've accepted it. I now just relax and sleep well and the problem resides in a few days. If you get stressed and don't relax and rest when you have an OB, it only gets worse.

so in your opinion do you think it took longer for your body to adjust to Whitlow? (3 years).

did you try to do daily suppressant therapy?  How that help if you did? Other than the stress is there any secrets, tips etc.?  Ive read a lot and your only suppose to have the one episode and it never comes back but some individuals do have reoccurring OB's.

Cas9
2 minutes ago, steel_panther said:

so in your opinion do you think it took longer for your body to adjust to Whitlow? (3 years).

did you try to do daily suppressant therapy?  How that help if you did? Other than the stress is there any secrets, tips etc.?  Ive read a lot and your only suppose to have the one episode and it never comes back but some individuals do have reoccurring OB's.

Typically whitlow is hsv1, but if it's hsv2 (my case) OBs may be more frequent. Yes, I think it took me longer, perhaps because I'm older. No, I wasn't on suppressive therapy because I never told my PCP that I had ghsv2 and didn't want to. After I had had enough of the OBs I did tell him and I subsequently started taking Valtrex. It did help if I took it when I started feeling an OB start. I emailed Anna Wald of Fred Hutch and explained my whole story and showed here a picture of my finger when I had a sore. She said my case was very unusual and told me I should have started Valtrex sooner.

I used to ice my hands also. That helped. I also washed with cold water and applied a moisturizer. It helped my hands feel better. Other than that just do what I said in my earlier comment.

steel_panther
2 hours ago, Cas9 said:

Typically whitlow is hsv1, but if it's hsv2 (my case) OBs may be more frequent. Yes, I think it took me longer, perhaps because I'm older. No, I wasn't on suppressive therapy because I never told my PCP that I had ghsv2 and didn't want to. After I had had enough of the OBs I did tell him and I subsequently started taking Valtrex. It did help if I took it when I started feeling an OB start. I emailed Anna Wald of Fred Hutch and explained my whole story and showed here a picture of my finger when I had a sore. She said my case was very unusual and told me I should have started Valtrex sooner.

I used to ice my hands also. That helped. I also washed with cold water and applied a moisturizer. It helped my hands feel better. Other than that just do what I said in my earlier comment.

thank you for your advice