World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LWestCoast

Do not think people should sue for herpes

LWestCoast

In an environment where most people who have this dont know they do (80-90%), i do not thinking resolving things in court is a good idea. It just further stigmatizes the virus (and the minority who know they have it) and makes a big deal out of something that shouldnt be a big deal. It hurt me too, but life has risks and u cant get paid for everything that hurts in life. Thats just how i (strongly) feel. 

Divon

Its completely retarded to have a court cases for herpes unless its a case where someone gave it to someone else with intent.

However, suing is a lot more OK than sending people to prison for it. I read about a case like that in the UK, I think it got highly critized though so probably didnt happen again after that.

Lets just take the Usher case as an example, rich famous guy, probably had sex with a lot of people and he is probably one of thousands of celebrities carrying it. Someone gets the idea to sue him for it and then everyone who has ever engaged in sexual activity with him can follow the lead. Doesnt really matter if they got it from him or not, as long as they have herpes it is possible that they have a chance of getting some fat money.

cheated-on

I disagree. I got HSV2 from someone who didn't tell me they had it and now it causes me much more inconvenience and pain than it causes the person who gave it to me (he is relatively asymptomatic while I get extremely painful outbreaks at least every 1-2 months). I feel that calls for some kind of reparations.

Divon
On 2018-03-22 at 3:11 AM, cheated-on said:

I disagree. I got HSV2 from someone who didn't tell me they had it and now it causes me much more inconvenience and pain than it causes the person who gave it to me (he is relatively asymptomatic while I get extremely painful outbreaks at least every 1-2 months). I feel that calls for some kind of reparations.

EEEEEH??? So did everyone else here? In my case I got it from someone who did a not more than just didn´t tell me. I envy those who at least had a giver that cared about protection and various safety procautions to not spread it.

Either way making lots of court cases won´t reduce the herpes stigma.

cheated-on
On 3/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, Divon said:

Either way making lots of court cases won´t reduce the herpes stigma.

Also disagree. I think there are two facets to the stigma, the idea that you must be promiscuous if you contracted herpes and the idea that it really sucks to have. Personally, I think only the first one is false. I always see people saying that so many people have it and it's not that bad but that doesn't change the fact that it's painful and inconvenient and certainly something most people would rather not have. By taking legal action against the person who gave it to you, you are asserting that you deserve reparations for this life-long painful inconvenience that was given to you, which I think is fair. I would even go so far as to say that opposing the right to take legal action for transmission of herpes is somewhat victim blaming, maybe not outright telling the person they deserved it or brought it upon themselves but it's still saying that people shouldn't be mad about it and don't deserve anything for the physical and emotional damages it caused.

Divon

Well when it comes to suiing it comes down to how rich the giver is in the end. It´s just weird.

f*ckedOver

If you a person that knows you have it and you do not tell any partners ( suggesting that they assume risk) then you definitely deserve to be sued. IN fact if you are one of those people that has it and covers your own ass, then infects someone else you should go spend 5 years in jail. 

Incurring financial penalties and spending 5 years will help people realize to be straightforward. Again this is all on the condition that the party knows, which if the party does not know than cancel everything I said. 

The person whom gave it to me is a real-estate lawyer, she knew she had it, she will then proclaim she is a special case in which she doesn't infect people. People like her deserve to go to jail. I'd rather get my ass beat and have a broken leg and arm, then be infected with an incurable disease that has impacted me since day 1 and will impact me until the day I die, unless we see some form of substantial treatment. 

Divon
On 5/2/2018 at 2:21 AM, f*ckedOver said:

If you a person that knows you have it and you do not tell any partners ( suggesting that they assume risk) then you definitely deserve to be sued. IN fact if you are one of those people that has it and covers your own ass, then infects someone else you should go spend 5 years in jail. 

Incurring financial penalties and spending 5 years will help people realize to be straightforward. Again this is all on the condition that the party knows, which if the party does not know than cancel everything I said. 

The person whom gave it to me is a real-estate lawyer, she knew she had it, she will then proclaim she is a special case in which she doesn't infect people. People like her deserve to go to jail. I'd rather get my ass beat and have a broken leg and arm, then be infected with an incurable disease that has impacted me since day 1 and will impact me until the day I die, unless we see some form of substantial treatment. 

again, stupid logic. You are only punishing the 10% of carriers who have been careful enough to actually get tested. If you wanna do this, include the blood testing in the standard std screening. Yes herpes sucks but it sucks because we make it a much bigger deal than it is. Maybe you think my symptoms are mild when I write this but it´s quite the complete opposite. I´m one of those who have felt their herpes physically every day for over a year. Those symptoms are irrelevant compared to the isolation and abstinence from sex that herpes gives. If more people got tested then at least it would maybe be somewhat possible to find others who carried it.

f*ckedOver

Stupid logic huh ? 

If you know you have then you have no right to hide it from a potential partner. If you have positive tests that validate, then yes you deserve to go to jail for infecting someone IF you did not tell them. 

On testing, yes I think it should be included in standard testing. People who get tested for any STD should also be tested for HSV every time. THat eliminates the one good point you actually had. 

Lastly, where in the heck did I say anything about your symptoms ? I deal with symptoms every damn day too pal. Nerve pain, sores on every part of my body now, so kindly take your "stupid logic' and fuck off. 

Quest

We are all victims. We thought we were being responsible and getting tested. 

Divon

I dont get how it can be so hard for you to realize that the 10% of carriers who know they have it cant be treated differently. Then why the hell would anyone be stupid enough to get their official diagnose? Not like they can do anything about it anyway other than supress it a little bit with valtrex

Its another thing if someone intentionally spreads it however. But using condoms and trying to avoid obs is the opposite of intentional.  They are trying to live normal lives despite knowing that they carry a virus that the majority of the world carry at least one type of.