World's Largest Herpes Support Group
sanchc12

need your answer on this please

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

sanchc12

is it still possible to get infected even without open sores from your partner if he did oral sex on you? Also, is it possible to still get infected even if your partner has a condom? 

doh!

Yes, and yes.
That's the short answer.
Asymptomatic shedding- herpes sheds (spreads) when there are no sores.
Presuming you have hsv 2, the chances of your partner getting it from you via oral sex are considerably less than if you have hsv 1- or if he has hsv 1 on his mouth, you contracting hsv1. However, having one strain reduces your risk of catching another strain by around 40%.

Using condoms reduces the risk considerably, but there is always a risk (even if it's around 5%- depends who has hsv, male or female).

sanchc12

He said he had hsv 1 and that his last outbreak was Jan 2017, he did oral sex on me once. I have not felt any symptoms, the first and last oral sex he did was Dec 27. 

WannaCry

If you had been infected by asymptomatic shedding (lack of sores, but virus is active) then you would of had some kind of outbreak by now. This is always going to be a risk with this partner, and probably future partners as many people DO NOT know their oral HSV status.

sanchc12

have not seen any outbreaks yet since dec 27 but I'm worried because I have read online that some can have mild symptoms and unnoticeable. Is that correct? 

Scooby2112
2 hours ago, sanchc12 said:

have not seen any outbreaks yet since dec 27 but I'm worried because I have read online that some can have mild symptoms and unnoticeable. Is that correct? 

Most of what you are reading is about HSV2.  Yes a majority of people with HSV2 do not know they have it.  Most do have symptoms but because they are minor they dismiss them as jock itch, pimples, razor burn, rash etc.  

very few people are truly asymptomatic. With HSV1 sea tend to believe you are more likely to have a true primary since it’s your first exposure to H   

If you have no symptoms then you should not concern your self with possibilities that are rare.  

sanchc12

can you explain further what you meant by "With HSV1 sea tend to believe you are mostly likely to have a true primary.."

Scooby2112

The theory is that many people have oral HSV1.  Therefore if they catch gHSV2 the outbreak may be minor since there is some antibody protection offered by ohsv1 antibodies.  

However if you get ghsv1 it means you do not have it orally and this is your first experience with the virus.  Therefore you have no antibodies at all.  That would allow HSV1 to cause a more pronounced breakout while your body builds an antibody response.  

HEre is a quote and an article worth reading for ghsv1, from Dr Anna Wald  

“The signs and symptoms of the first episode or a recurrence are identical for both viral types. Genital HSV‐1, which almost always causes a true primary infection, is likely to be more severe during the initial episode.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2564733/

Edited by Scooby2112

sanchc12

is it possible to still get the first outbreak even it has been past a year or more that you have been infected? 

WilsoInAus

Not really no.

A primary infection (meaning first infection of either HSV-1 or HSV-2, being negative for both before) almost (if not) always involves an outbreak.

Although not defenceless, your body has no specific immune response to HSV 1/2 and the consequences are stark.

sanchc12

so it means if you really get infected, you would have already experienced an outbreak in less than a month, correct? 

Scooby2112

not everyone's primary is significant.  Some may be milder.  No one knows why.  Probably has to do with how much virus transfers at infection.  

@WilsoInAus why do most people have mild to minimal symptoms? It's said 70%+ don't know they are infected because the symptoms are so mild.  Is that more with Hsv2

sanchc12

@doh! - my partner (male) is the one who has hsv1, I do not have any. He said what he has is the minor one which is the one on the mouth - but I could not believe it. I feel like he also has hsv2. We used protection but there was one time we had sex (when we were drunk) and could not remember if he used a condom or not and that was also the time he did oral sex on me. We only had sex 5 times,    once he did oral on me and twice I did oral on him. We are no longer together.  Unluckily, he brought me in Denmark where they do not do blood test to check if you were infected by it or not, they only check when there is blister and do a swab. I am so worried and felt devastated about this. The only way I found out about his herpes was when I went thru his drawer and saw Aciclovir medicine which was prescribed to him 2015. He said his last outbreak was Jan 2017. I can't tell if the medicine was for oral or genital because it just says on the box medicine for herpes. It was aciclovir 800mg and it says on the box to take it for 3-5days 3times a day. Please enlighten me on this, 

doh!

@sanchc12- I'm no medical expert.

Regarding the antivirals- the treatment is the same for hsv1, hsv2 and chickenpox- herpes zoster.

There is a chance you contracted hsv1 from your ex. He may have it orally and genitally, though hsv1 is most often oral. 
The common scenario is symptoms (blisters) within two weeks of sexual activity, which is what I experienced. Other symptoms are flu-like- stiff neck and back (lower back in the case of hsv2- for me anyway), headaches, fatigue, feeling blue.

Hsv1 is transmitted via infected saliva and if you contracted it you would most likely experience tingling, itching or burning sensation around the mouth, fever, headache, fatigue, and sore throat before the appearance of sores.
Hsv1 
can be transmitted to (your) genitals via oral sex.
It is less likely to be transmitted by intercourse unless he has hsv1 genitally as the hsv1 virus tends to stay in the region it is located (site of preference). HSV-1 usually establishes latency in the trigeminal ganglion, a collection of nerve cells near the ear, Hsv2 at the base of the spine.

There's also a very good- and much greater- chance that you did not contract hsv at all since the odds are around 10% - or less- where people engage in ongoing, unprotected sex. Apparently people with recurrent oral HSV-1 shed virus in their saliva about 5% of the time even when they show no symptoms.

An in- depth resource: http://herpes.com/hsv1-2.html

I hope this helps. Check my post here: 

WilsoInAus
On 11/02/2018 at 1:26 AM, Scooby2112 said:

not everyone's primary is significant.  Some may be milder.  No one knows why.  Probably has to do with how much virus transfers at infection.  

@WilsoInAus why do most people have mild to minimal symptoms? It's said 70%+ don't know they are infected because the symptoms are so mild.  Is that more with Hsv2

Remember a primary infection means your first of either type 1 or 2. It is more usual to term infection with the other type an initial infection.

70% of people infected with HSV-2 already have HSV-1 and this is theorised  as playing a role in lighter symptoms on average.

Edited by WilsoInAus

WilsoInAus

@sanchc12 in the end what matters is what you do or do not carry in terms of HSV. This partner’s status is only relevant to the risk you faced and not the outcomes.

Testing overrides symptoms. Tobe clear, what testing have you had more than 16 weeks after your last episode with this person?

Scooby2112
40 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Remember a primary infection means your first of either type 1 or 2. It is more usual to term infection with the other type an initial infection.

70% of people infected with HSV-1 already have HSV-1 and this is theorised  as playing a role in lighter symptoms on average.

@WilsoInAus did you mean HSV2 in the above?  

Why is that many hsv1 only carriers can be asymptomatic? Some of Terri Warrens posts make it seem that an HSV1 initial infection can be asymptomatic.  However Dr Anna Wald thinks more likely those with HSV1 would have a typical outbrea  . 

WilsoInAus
37 minutes ago, Scooby2112 said:

@WilsoInAus did you mean HSV2 in the above?  

Why is that many hsv1 only carriers can be asymptomatic? Some of Terri Warrens posts make it seem that an HSV1 initial infection can be asymptomatic.  However Dr Anna Wald thinks more likely those with HSV1 would have a typical outbrea  . 

Yes typo fixed, thanks.

I am not 100% sure if I understand your question.

If you have a primary infection of HSV-1 or HSV-2, meaning you had neither type upon the infection, then your chances of a 'noticeable' outbreak are very high. I feel in excess of 90%.

Most experts acknowledge that having say HSV-1 then becoming infected with HSV-2 results in lighter symptoms than might otherwise be the case. This pushes more people to have 'unnoticeable' initial infections. Some experts do believe it may make no difference at all. There has however been a study (well one I can think of) that I included in a post a few years back now. If I get time I will try to find it.

Scooby2112

That would sync with Anna Walds theory of why more hsv1 infections are more likely to show an OB.  

Terri Warren stated that hsv1 infection (w/o hsv2) could be asymptomatic.  I am not sure if she is referring to initial symptoms or that it becomes asymptomatic after time like most gHSV1 infections.  

I would appreciate if you could find that study.  

sanchc12

@WilsoInAus I haven't had any tests yet. It has not been past 16weeks since my last contact with the guy. He claims he has the minor herpes which was on the mouth, the last sex and oral we had was Dec 26.  From when we were physically together since Dec 23, we only had sex 5 times and 2times oral sex until the last one we had on Dec 26. The last time we kissed was Jan 15.  Then that was it.  I have to wait after 16 weeks to get tested? 

Edited by sanchc12

WilsoInAus

Yes I would wait until 16 weeks post the last time there was contact with your genitals.

Unless you’ve had an outbreak of sores, then it is all pretty unlikely you have been infected.

You have tested negative to HSV on an IgG test previously?

sanchc12

no test but I have not been sexually active as I have been single for a long time, nor did I have different partners.  How long would it usually take for me to see symptoms after getting infected? 

sanchc12

I'm getting paranoid whenever like my lips are burning but nothing appears. Too early to test right now.

sanchc12

@WilsoInAus - I have another question. He claimed that he got his hsv1 from his ex girlfriend because she has fungus in her vagina. Can you get oral herpes from someone who has fungus in their vagina?  I have been checking online but could not find any that's related to that. Can that really happen?