World's Largest Herpes Support Group
awm

Post-coldsore itchy rash

awm

Hi, I had two cold sores on my lips appear about 3 weeks ago. I treated them well with Zovirax creams, aciclovir and lysine tablets and an electric light thing. They cleared up but there is still redness in the area and recently it has been really itchy. I don’t know if I should keep applying/taking the treatment. It’s been a few weeks now and at the moment, the itchiness seems to be getting worse.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Confusedmw

There is no harm in keeping on using the cream. The redness is new skin. Think of it as a cut on your knee, as it’s healing it remains itchy. I take lysine daily instead of continuing to use acyclovir. I only use acyclovir the days prior to the cold sore. When you first feel any sort of tingling is when you should be taking the acyclovir. I take it 3 times a day for two days and the cold sore never even comes out!  Try your hardest not to lick or itch the areas. The cream should help with the itchy ness anyway. 

Systematized

Sometimes OB area get infected by bacteria like any wound/cut in skin in your body, redness usually caused by your immune system reaction.

Give your body time to heal if it doesn't clear up you should visit a doctor.

Also, i have heard of cases where sometimes when overusing Antiviral creams could case a rash.

Lysine high dosage can cause rash in small percentage of people. 

awm

Thanks!