World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Goose101404

A day I will remember forever.

Goose101404

So today I found out that I am positive for HSV-2. Probably the worse news I have ever received.  Don't know how long I have had this for. I guess I'm still in shock about this discovery. Me and my girlfriend have been together a little over 5 years, and never had an outbreak. Of course, the first initial thought was maybe she cheated, but thinking clearly I know she would never do such a thing. 

What made me get tested? Well, I usually shave my genital area with razor, and sometimes I get small ingrown hairs which I knew to be normal. However, this time two weeks ago I noticed a lot of what appeared to be pimples but turned out not to be. I tried to tell myself that it was just ingrown hairs and that my mind needs to chill. It was a scary thought. And of course, like most people do, we go straight to DR. Google. That made me more stressed. Then came the swelling of my right groin lymph node. That is when I hat to go in thinking I had an infection possibly from picking or plucking some of the hairs. Well they ran the test and results came back today. Great day today huh? Two days before valentines at that.

Where do I go from here? My girlfriend shows zero symptoms for it, but has an appointment to go get checked up tomorrow. I don't know the chances of her not be infected but I suppose we are prepared for the worse. This isn't easy. And I'm sure it wasn't or isn't easy for those of you who have popped positive for herpes. Kind of depressing the more I think about it. I honestly don't know where to go from here. 

I always wanted to talk to others on forums, just never thought it would be under these conditions. I honestly don't even know what I am expecting out of this, but I guess just knowing I'm not alone helps some kind of darkness I feel.

Scooby2112

Glad you joined us (but tot for the reason of being diagnosed).  

The good news is if you have had this for a while then it is relatively mild and that should continue.  Also having a partner who is with you is huge!   

Be prepared to support her as well.  If she is negative she will need to follow up at 3 months to make sure she didn't get it recently.  

You may have more questions as it progresses and well all be here for you. 

Goose101404

Thank you. It's hard to accept, but reality has checked in, just have to adapt and overcome.  I'm sure I'll have questions. Thank you for your words.

WilsoInAus

What testing did you have that was positive? Do you have the actual results?

Goose101404

They drew blood from my arm a week ago. I'm not sure what the doctor called it. 

WilsoInAus

You will need to obtain a full printout of the results, stay curious on this!!

WarriorKing

Well now you are part of the majority of adults. Would be helpful if you twisted your head around and viewed this logically. You don't have leprosy. Don't have cancer. You now carry a common virus, and may have for some time. Last week, before you knew you had a common virus, did you look in the mirror differently?

Goose101404

no I didn't. And I understand what you are saying. Just trying to wrap my head around. I really didn't know and never thought about it either for that matter or how common this really is. I appreciate the words, at least I know I have somewhere to turn.